30 day stamp land crossing in Ranong?

Some people might well be much depends on the passport one holds.

Yes, many nationalities still get the 30 days by land. Some of these people may also get 60 or 90 days visa exempt when arriving by air, air such as Chinese, Koreans, Russians, Argentinians, Hong Kongians, Brazialians, among others. This is mostly due to bilateral agreements.

What country was the person from who got the 30 days?

A long term expat who needs to do visa runs told me yesterday that he'd been to Ranong on the 31st October, and got a 30 day visa.   He's from the UK.

Not possible, there is no such thing as a 30 day visa for people from the UK.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A long term expat who needs to do visa runs told me yesterday that he'd been to Ranong on the 31st October, and got a 30 day visa. He's from the UK.

A 30 day visa exempt stamp, as it appears in a passport, commonly referred to in a colloquial sense as a 'visa'.

• Like 1

I read a post of a German who got 30 days at the land border (Nong Khai, Laos).

The report incl. a scan of his stamp from Nov 2nd (30 days until Dec 1st).

And that was not a "mistake" as the officer explicitely pointed to the fact, that he got a 30 day stamp.

There is one source in the internet (visa run service) that writes about a new rule:

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES MAY NOW RECEIVE A 30-DAY EXTENSION STAMP INSTEAD OF A 15-DAY EXTENSION STAMP BY CROSSING THE BORDER WITH US:

JAPAN GERMANY UNITED KINGDOM UNITED STATES CANADA FRANCE ITALY

http://bestbangkokvisarun.com/news-and-updates/

This is definitely new and does not relate to special rules for other nations as stated above.

Question to the native speakers: what does "may now receive" mean. Maybe?

Would be nice to hear more such reports.

From another forum:

I don't have time to go hunt down all of the links at the moment. I'm only online now because my son is taking a nap. Let's see if I can find at least one ....BANGKOK EXPATS ... A group on Facebook. I am not sure if you need to be a member to see or not. It says:

"good news for the following passport holders: usa, canada, uk, france, germany, italy and japan. you now get 30days tourist visa stamp when border crossing at poi pet (cambodia) instead of the usual 15. it's probably same at all land borders but i'm not sure. lets hope some more countries will be added soon "

Edited by KhunBENQ

Although I am not a native English speaker I know what "may receive" means in this context. It means that the new rule (if there is one) is not known or followed consistently by all Immigration offices and there might even be confusion among staff at one particular bureau. Happens all the time when there are changes.

A long term expat who needs to do visa runs told me yesterday that he'd been to Ranong on the 31st October, and got a 30 day visa. He's from the UK.

A 30 day visa exempt stamp, as it appears in a passport, commonly referred to in a colloquial sense as a 'visa'.

Big difference between visa exempt entry and visa entry.

• Like 1

The exact opposite, to be correct: The visa exempt stamps means that you are exempted from needing a visa if you stay not longer than xxx days! I don't understand how this could be confused with a visa: It exactly means that you do NOT need a visa. And therefore, it is not colloquially known as a visa... ermm.gif

Just checked the Immigration website, there is no update there yet.

• Like 2

Do you think the people doing border runs care, if its 30 days its a lot better than 15 days

Stop disagreeing with everyone they are allowed there own opinion even if you do not agree

Do you think the people doing border runs care, if its 30 days its a lot better than 15 days

Stop disagreeing with everyone they are allowed there own opinion even if you do not agree

I am not disagreeing with anything here, only pointing out that a visa exempt stamp is not the same as a visa.

Nothing to do with opinions.

I see your new handle has not had any effect on your attitude.

Edited by stevenl

Hope this ever recurring bicking about the terms would end (not every member in TV has studied visalogy) and someone would have a useful contribution like a current overland border run report (first or secondhand).

Border runners do not care about 30 vs 15 days? Disagree.

Just moaning ...

Edited by KhunBENQ

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/678307-please-i-really-need-your-help/page-2?p=6989950#entry6989950

As mentioned in the above on 1 November we had first report of this. Believe this thread further confirms.

Posted 2013-11-01 21:51:28
Depends on your passport country.
Believe this is the first report we have of a possible new policy for seven countries land visa exempt entry now being changed back to 30 days from the previous 15 days.
Unconfirmed list of new 30 day visa exempt countries by land or air is
USA, UK, Germany, Japan, Canada, France and Italy

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES MAY NOW RECEIVE A 30-DAY EXTENSION STAMP INSTEAD OF A 15-DAY EXTENSION STAMP BY CROSSING THE BORDER WITH US:

JAPAN GERMANY UNITED KINGDOM UNITED STATES CANADA FRANCE ITALY

They talking of "Extension", not of "Visa Exemption" ?? Make that even more confusing...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/678307-please-i-really-need-your-help/page-2?p=6989950#entry6989950

As mentioned in the above on 1 November we had first report of this. Believe this thread further confirms.

Posted 2013-11-01 21:51:28
Depends on your passport country.
Believe this is the first report we have of a possible new policy for seven countries land visa exempt entry now being changed back to 30 days from the previous 15 days.
Unconfirmed list of new 30 day visa exempt countries by land or air is
USA, UK, Germany, Japan, Canada, France and Italy

The link refers to a single post from someone who's first language is clearly not English.

Maybe a policy of "wait and see" would be wise smile.png

Yes, "extension stamp" is not a good wording for what is meant.

But sure: it is nothing different than what everybody gets on entry: "ADMITTED UNTIL" stamp ("allowed to stay stamp" if you like).

This stamp is in your passport even if you enter the country for the very first time.

(is consistent with the picture that the German guy had posted)

I have looked on immigration and MFA websites and can find no info about it.

It would require a change to a police order so would think it would of been posted on the immigration website.

Right. Police Order 778/2551 (2008) needs to be replaced to add more countries getting 30-days visa-exempt permission to stay on land border posts.

Police order 778-2551 visa-exempt entry EN.pdf

Perhaps they are still working on an English translation of the new Police Order.

This is true, and on all land borders for the countries listed:

USA, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Italy & Japan

Came into effect some time this week, have had confirmation from customers who crossed the border from Laos by land, the brits got 30 day stamps and the kiwis got 15 days.

Biggest positive change to visa rules in a long time!

• Like 1

wow, this is a huge change and I wonder why they did it? it benefits so many and hurts no one ( but the visa run companies) seems to logical for Thailand

will they soon extend the 30 day fly in to 45 or ( dreaming) 60 days which would eliminate the need for visas for most tourists and lose them tons of $$$$$

wow, this is a huge change and I wonder why they did it? it benefits so many and hurts no one ( but the visa run companies) seems to logical for Thailand

will they soon extend the 30 day fly in to 45 or ( dreaming) 60 days which would eliminate the need for visas for most tourists and lose them tons of $$$$$

It makes working illegally on visa exempt status easier, which is exactly the reason why this rule was introduced in December 2008.

This is true, and on all land borders for the countries listed:

USA, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Italy & Japan

Came into effect some time this week, have had confirmation from customers who crossed the border from Laos by land, the brits got 30 day stamps and the kiwis got 15 days.

Biggest positive change to visa rules in a long time!

I can't help wondering why the Australian passports were left out of this revision considering they are part of APEC?