Major blackout to hit southern Phuket

Lite Beer

Major blackout to hit southern Phuket Wednesday
Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: The Phuket Provincial Electricity Authority (PPEA) has announced a major blackout scheduled to affect residents and businesses in Chalong tomorrow.

PPEA staff will be carrying out maintenance work on high-voltage power lines.

“We will replace power cables in many areas this month to prevent unscheduled blackouts and fluctuations in power supply,” PPEA Operations Chief Yongyuth Podbutr told the Phuket Gazette today.

“The existing power cables are very old. In some areas, the cables are damaged and no longer have shielding, which makes them prone to short circuiting,” Mr Yongyuth said.

“When a tree or an animal comes into contact with an unshielded cable, this can cause a short circuit or even a fire,” he explained.

The scheduled blackout tomorrow, from 9am to 5pm, will affect the west side of Chao Fa West Road, from the PPEA substation (map here) to HomePro Village near Chalong Circle (map here).

The areas to be affected by the blackout include Chaofa Thani Village, Baan Nai Trok, Soi Baan Klang, Baan Bang Rae, Soi Bang Rae, Soi Yod Sane 1, Soi Yod Sane 2, Ananda Garden Hills, Soi Pradthana and Soi Anusorn.

Several other blackouts are scheduled for this month:

Wichit: November 14 (9am to 4pm)

Wichit Songkram Road, from in front of Surakul Stadium (map here) to Darasamuth School.

Chalong: November 21 (9am to 5pm)

Patak Road, from Chalong Circle to Soi Hin Khao on Kata Hill, including Chalong Center village, Patak Villa in Soi Anusorn and Phuket Shooting Range.

Rawai: November 26 (9am to noon)

Wiset Road, east side only, from Soi Ruam Uthit (opposite Muang Phuket School, just south of Chalong Circle) to Fisherman Way Housing Estate.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Major-blackout-to-hit-southern-Phuket-22773.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-12

I'm quite sure the 'Phuket-spit-swapping-expats' and all their 'millions' have plenty of candles to burn anyway smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

"Phuket-spit-swapping-expats" ?????

I like a guessing game as much as the next guy but I'm really having trouble trying to figure out what this might mean. Is it 'expats who French kiss each other'? I don't think so. Does anybody else have a guess? I think it is not a friendly term because lostmebike seems angry about the money these people have.

I'm quite sure the 'Phuket-spit-swapping-expats' and all their 'millions' have plenty of candles to burn anyway smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

"Phuket-spit-swapping-expats" ?????

I like a guessing game as much as the next guy but I'm really having trouble trying to figure out what this might mean. Is it 'expats who French kiss each other'? I don't think so. Does anybody else have a guess? I think it is not a friendly term because lostmebike seems angry about the money these people have.

No worries, his post makes no sense at all, see also the mentioning of candles for a announced power outage in daytime.

Edited by stevenl

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I checked that original report. No mention of power out all day today 29 Nov 2013. Power off at 10.30 until 17.00. My guests were not pleased. I myself pissed off to our place in Patong to watch TV, browse the net, and having running water. Just having my little rant at the piss poor utility services offered here on Paradise Island.

Well, I checked that original report. No mention of power out all day today 29 Nov 2013. Power off at 10.30 until 17.00. My guests were not pleased. I myself pissed off to our place in Patong to watch TV, browse the net, and having running water. Just having my little rant at the piss poor utility services offered here on Paradise Island.

Here in the morning an interruption of about 2 hours, in the afternoon again but far less, maybe 1/2 hour. So not too bad all in all.

Also today no water BTW, just came back on.

Edited by stevenl

Yeah I understand your pain.

The sub station was being worked on all day with one lane closed.

Yes, I can understand them shutting off the power as the crane was working over the HV line. But the crane had gone by 14.00- ish. But no prior announcement, no sound truck (which is usual). My only hope is that once that sub station is working then we can expect less power outs. But no doubt we can can expect even more power outs while they tie that sub station into the local grid. Oh well - looks like they are nearly finished.

<snip>

Also today no water BTW, just came back on.

Lucky you - have public water. We have asked many times to be hooked up (and pay for the work). No chance says the water board. sad.png

Mind you we had to wait nearly 10 years in Patong to get a water line installed (which we paid major money for the work), Once upon a time we had water from time to time. These last 3 years we are lucky to have a trickle for the odd hour on the odd day. All those new buildings suck all the pressure out of the system. Completely useless - need to pay for truck delivery. Still ranting facepalm.gif

We were off from 10.30 - 16.55. No notice at all. Just back on so now have 3BB internet. AIS aircard is just so slooooow.

Yes, a friend of mine is experiencing the same problems you are, I guess I am on a different (and at the moment better) grid.

Some day though the roles will be reversed and I will be the one complaining while you have no or just slight problems, maybe this thought cheers you up a bit :)