Thai survey: 29% have unsafe sex with strangers

webfact

"However, 14% says they would try to stay away from HIV patients, whom have been described as "disgusting" by 2% of the respondents. 4% say they feel disgust toward AIDS patients."

Such enlightened, empathic and heart warming views. Lets hope they stay safe, hey.

I was surprised at such a low % for these. Humans are instinctively disgusted by things that are harmful to them.

HIV isn't harmful unless there's blood-to-blood contact with an HIV carrier. There's no reason at all to be disgusted by HIV unless you engage in unprotected sex or IV drug use with people who have it.

You can't get sick from shaking the hand of a leper - would you do it? Disgust isn't a rational decision based on fact, it's an emotional decision based on perception.

"However, 14% says they would try to stay away from HIV patients, whom have been described as "disgusting" by 2% of the respondents. 4% say they feel disgust toward AIDS patients."

Such enlightened, empathic and heart warming views. Lets hope they stay safe, hey.

I bet some part of the USA would be much much worse that these scores.

I was surprised at such a low % for these. Humans are instinctively disgusted by things that are harmful to them.

HIV isn't harmful unless there's blood-to-blood contact with an HIV carrier. There's no reason at all to be disgusted by HIV unless you engage in unprotected sex or IV drug use with people who have it.

Don't spoil bad education and paranoia with facts, please!

No to get political -god forbid- but there are many on this forum, who think that Mr. Abisith was in danger, because some braindead red-shirts sprayed "AIDS infested blood" on his door!

The general knowledge - or rather: the lack of it- about a disease that has been around for centuries with information about it basically everywhere, is frightening.

Edited by DocN

You can't get sick from shaking the hand of a leper - would you do it? Disgust isn't a rational decision based on fact, it's an emotional decision based on perception.

That's 'prejudice' that you're describing. I wouldn't shake a leper's hand because leprosy can be contagious. HIV is not contagious unless there is blood to blood contact, therefore any disgust that you feel for HIV positive people is your own problem.

I fully agree about having unsafe sex with a stranger. I fell off the top of a wardrobe in an Amsterdam hotel dressed as Batman while a Russian hooker tied to the bed screamed "Help me caped crusader"

Buggered my back up and no mistake.