Austrian Consulate Pattaya provide ‘Verification of Income ‘letter

Had e mail contact with the Consul General who confirmed that this service is available to Ex Pats.

This is obviously convenient for British subjects –given the recent closure of the British Consulate (Jomtien)

Price for this service 1600 Baht

ADDRESS 504/526 Moo12

2nd Rd Soi 14

Pattaya

20150:

Telephone (:038) 713.613

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does he do it for all nationalities?

And ...........more importantly, would such a "letter" be accepted in the absence of a formal agreement between the UK Government and another country to provide Consular services to UK citizens ?

I simply asked the Q. can they provide a notarised letter to ex pats in relation to Retirement visa.

The reply ,from the Consul General ,confirmed that they can supply this service.

At this stage I have not checked if this is acceptable to Jomtien Immigration.

His reply implied that this service is available to all ex -pats.

My visa renewal is many months away.

The reason for my post is in the hope that another Ex Pat can test this service. Initially speaking with Jomtien-then report back to this blog.

The following link started my investigations.

http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/british-embassy-changes-retirement-rules/

And ...........more importantly, would such a "letter" be accepted in the absence of a formal agreement between the UK Government and another country to provide Consular services to UK citizens ?

I simply asked the Q. can they provide a notarised letter to ex pats in relation to Retirement visa.

The reply ,from the Consul General ,confirmed that they can supply this service.

The reason for my post is in the hope that another Ex Pat can test this service. Initially speaking with Jomtien-then report back to this blog.

http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/british-embassy-changes-retirement-rules/

That link is , of course , representative of an "authoritative source" !

cheesy.gif

cheesy.gif

Mr Sceptic

I never claimed it to be an "authoritative source" !. It was simply a web page that started this exercise.

The only "authoritative source" will be an ex pat who has tried this route and can confirm it's validity. That is my aim for this post.

Do you have anything positive to contribute?

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Mr Sceptic

I never claimed it to be an "authoritative source" !. It was simply a web page that started this exercise.

The only "authoritative source" will be an ex pat who has tried this route and can confirm it's validity. That is my aim for this post.

Do you have anything positive to contribute?

I can imagine that the Austrian consul would understand the detail of my British pension.!

I can also imagine an immigration officer wondering why a Brit would be offering a letter, certifying income, originating from the UK , which was written by a foreign countries consulate .

I do not wish to be the first to try this!

If the UK formally agree an arrangement with a foreign Embassy/Consulate to provide consular services to UK citizens the situation would , of course be different.

The final 2 paragraphs of the Pattaya Today article referred to in the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/686171-retirement-visa-extension-restrictions-for-foreign-married-couples/ are relevant here:

“Separately, the British Embassy has confirmed that none of its provincial staff is empowered any longer to provide notarial services. Those Brits requiring income letters for the Immigration Bureau must now deal with the main embassy in Bangkok or find another local consulate willing to provide the service.

“The German honorary consul in Phuket stated recently he believes that his office could provide some such services for Brits but that he was seeking formal permission from Berlin. It may take some time before European Union consulates in places such as Pattaya, Koh Samui and Phuket feel confident enough to fill the gap left by the retreat of the British Embassy from provincial Thailand.”

It seems to me that we are only talking about a “retreat of the British Embassy from provincial Thailand” in the context of Pattaya following the closure of the consulate there some time ago. To the best of my knowledge there have never been British consulates at Koh Samui or Phuket. And I am not aware of any plans to close the existing consulate at Chiang Mai.

In addition, it strikes me as highly unlikely that Immigration would be prepared to accept income verification letters issued to British retirees by local German, Austrian, etc consulates on the Embassy’s behalf. Not to mention the fact that one of the requirements for such letters to be issued would probably be for applicants to convert their UK-generated income from sterling into euros!sad.png

I, for one, therefore strongly question the accuracy of the Pattaya Today reporting in this context.

The final 2 paragraphs of the Pattaya Today article referred to in the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/686171-retirement-visa-extension-restrictions-for-foreign-married-couples/ are relevant here:

“Separately, the British Embassy has confirmed that none of its provincial staff is empowered any longer to provide notarial services. Those Brits requiring income letters for the Immigration Bureau must now deal with the main embassy in Bangkok or find another local consulate willing to provide the service.

“The German honorary consul in Phuket stated recently he believes that his office could provide some such services for Brits but that he was seeking formal permission from Berlin. It may take some time before European Union consulates in places such as Pattaya, Koh Samui and Phuket feel confident enough to fill the gap left by the retreat of the British Embassy from provincial Thailand.”

It seems to me that we are only talking about a “retreat of the British Embassy from provincial Thailand” in the context of Pattaya following the closure of the consulate there some time ago. To the best of my knowledge there have never been British consulates at Koh Samui or Phuket. And I am not aware of any plans to close the existing consulate at Chiang Mai.

In addition, it strikes me as highly unlikely that Immigration would be prepared to accept income verification letters issued to British retirees by local German, Austrian, etc consulates on the Embassy’s behalf. Not to mention the fact that one of the requirements for such letters to be issued would probably be for applicants to convert their UK-generated income from sterling into euros!xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.gBNm0PzB6t.webp

I, for one, therefore strongly question the accuracy of the Pattaya Today reporting in this context.

Agreed !

There is/was an Hon UK consulate in Phuket who undertook consular services but I guess that service has now ended.

Do not think I will go to the German for a UK income certification letter !

Best stick with BKK although that is an inconvenience to put it mildly !

What I know is, that the consul Mr. Hofer (a German working as Austrian consul) can do affidavit for use at German pension offices.

Don't know about income letter for Thai immigration (only a few hints that it is possible for Germans).

And he serves English speaking people in different affairs (general consulting) as I noticed at a visit.

The address given in the starting post ist wrong.

It is Soi 17 not Soi 14.

504/526 Moo 10, Soi 17, 2nd Road, Pattaya City,
Chonburi 20150
Thailand

Phone +66 (038) 713 613
Fax: +66 (038) 713 614

E-Mail: [email protected]

opening hours;
Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 11:00 - 17:00 h.

Sample of an income letter for a German national from 2010 (stating Euro and Baht amount):

pict0003jp.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

The British Embassy issue income verification letters on the basis of documentary evidence provided by applicants, not sworn affidavits. I somehow doubt that the British Embassy would consider it acceptable for letters to be issued on their behalf by foreign consulates on the basis of sworn affidavits!

And would foreign consulates really be prepared to issue such letters to British retirees with income figures stated in sterling rather than their domestic currency? Somehow I doubt it. In which case just imagine the confusion which would be caused were Immigration to demand to see the supporting evidence!

Oops, I am sorry. I am not a native speaker and mixed up the terms!

Its not "affidavit" but a document to proof that you are alive. Whats the word?

Concerning the income letter, your own embassy/consulate would not be involved in this case.

The consul writes the letters on the basis of documentary evidence of course!

Edited by KhunBENQ

I understand these are issued under EU rules which aparently allow any EU member state to certify documents of each other member. Until the UK leaves the EU it is not a case of whether the British Embassy likes or not.

Edited by harrry

For those living in Pattaya it would well be worth to pay him a visit and check things with him.

I am confident that he will not issue some worthless paper to you and knows what he can do and what not.

Edited by KhunBENQ

BTW, there are some interesting hints at the bottom of this post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/686171-retirement-visa-extension-restrictions-for-foreign-married-couples/#entry7114502

Separately, the British Embassy has confirmed that none of its provincial staff is empowered any longer to provide notarial services. Those Brits requiring income letters for the Immigration Bureau must now deal with the main embassy in Bangkok or find another local consulate willing to provide the service.

The German honorary consul in Phuket stated recently he believes that his office could provide some such services for Brits but that he was seeking formal permission from Berlin. It may take some time before European Union consulates in places such as Pattaya, Koh Samui and Phuket feel confident enough to fill the gap left by the retreat of the British Embassy from provincial Thailand.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks to the OP for doing some legwork on this and finding a Pattaya Hon Consul that will do the needful for the disenfranchised Brits.

Of course the test is Jomtien Immigration accepting it. The ultimate test is finding a Brit with enough liquidity to risk a whopping 1600 baht to try!

For those that are bellyaching about inconvenience, as ubonjoe has reminded us on several similar threads, you can still do it by post with the UK Embassy in Bangkok. What price would be suitable for an annual "inconvenience"?

Firstly my thanks to KhunBENQ for highlighting my typo. As he correctly states it is Soi 17..Also to Nanlaew for his note of thanks.

So today I called in to Immigration,Soi 5 Jomtien and the man behind the 'Help' counter confirmed that letters from the Austrian Consulate were acceptable. He knew the address and quoted it. When I asked if a Brit could use the services he said 'yes' and again quoted the address. When I pressed him for written confirmation-again he just quoted the address. Its very busy down there and my time was up..

I am now charged with curiosity so I took a trip to Soi 17 -Pattaya. Met with the Consul General (Herr Rudolf) and he explained that the service was only available to Austrians ,Germans and Brits..

He refused to give me a letter on Official paper to confirm his statements.

My view is that this process will work and it is probably lubricated with tea money.

Nobody wants to commit to an official letter.

So next August when my renewal is due ,I may.just for the hell of it ,give it a go.

In the meantime I think that I will contact the Germans-see if they are more convincing.

Edited by Delight

met Consul Rudolf Hofer and Consul Dr. Rainer Strunk last week. nice professional no-nonsense chaps! by the way, the Thai lady (their secretary) could use a wee bit brushing up of her written English (me too) tongue.png

Edited by Naam

met Consul Rudolf Hofer and Consul Dr. Rainer Strunk last week. nice professional no-nonsense chaps! by the way, the Thai lady (their secretary) could use a wee bit brushing up of her written English (me too) tongue.png

How is her German?

Thank you, KhunBENQ, for posting a photo of the attestation issued by the Austrian consulate in Pattaya to a German national regarding his pension income. Now we know at least one consulate the former British consul in Pattaya meant when he said "It is an open secret which other European consulates in Pattaya will do the substitution for a fee but Brits can easily find out by asking friends or their local friendly visa agent." This saves the readers of this forum from asking around.

How is her German?

no idea.

and he explained that the service was only available to Austrians ,Germans and Brits..

Not true.

Those letters have been issued for other EU nationalities and succesfully been accepted by the Pittaya Immos on retirement purposes.

That's why he wouldn't give you a written confirmation, because it's false.....but are you sure to have properly understood what did they said to you? As your statement is quite, how can i say it? strange perhaps....

If this is true and Brits can get letters at another Consulate, then you will find the British Embassy will open up a consulate again pretty sharpish..

Right now they get the letter money regardless of having a consulate in Pattaya, they just make people travel to Bangkok for it.

If other consulates will do the letter in Pattaya, the British Embassy would lose a fortune (isn't it 2K a letter?) and all of a sudden a consulate in Pattaya as if by magic will suddenly be economically viable again.

Thank you, KhunBENQ, for posting a photo of the attestation issued by the Austrian consulate in Pattaya to a German national regarding his pension income. Now we know at least one consulate the former British consul in Pattaya meant when he said "It is an open secret which other European consulates in Pattaya will do the substitution for a fee but Brits can easily find out by asking friends or their local friendly visa agent." This saves the readers of this forum from asking around.

The EU is a giant bureaucratic <deleted>. !

When I need a confirmation of income I will use the British Embassy.

and he explained that the service was only available to Austrians ,Germans and Brits..

Not true.

Those letters have been issued for other EU nationalities and succesfully been accepted by the Pittaya Immos on retirement purposes.

That's why he wouldn't give you a written confirmation, because it's false.....but are you sure to have properly understood what did they said to you? As your statement is quite, how can i say it? strange perhaps....

I can assure you that both my statements accurately reflect that which occurred at the Austrian Consulate.

Your statements are -how can I say -gobbledegook. perhaps

• Like 1

European law suggests that when consular facilities are not available locally, an EU citizen may seek consular assistance from any another EU embassy..

This would be true of somewhere in Africa where the Brits don't have an embassy but the French do for example..

It would be interesting to see if this could be applied in a localised area like Pattaya!

I would love to see a bidding war on letters and the other bureaucratic nonsense expats have to go through each year...

Lets open a polish consulate in Pattaya and pay 200 baht a letter! They'd clean up...