Yellow Tablien Ban Application: Being Unmarried

Can I apply for a yellow tablien ban if I'm not married to a Thai?

I've been keen to apply for one, I live with my girlfriend in her sister's house (which I rent for the purposes of my visa extension)

My g/f rang the amphur today to find exactly what documents we need (I have seen the list on TV, but thought I'd just get it double checked).

The TV list includes various copies of wife's documentation, but doesn't specifically say you must be married.

I know someone rented a house and was issued with a yellow tablien Ban - but he did rent the house with his wife.

The staff in the amphur (that's amhpur muang Udon Thani) said that if I wasn't married, then I couldn't apply for a yellow tablien ban.

Can someone state categorically if marriage is compulsory in order to apply?

I did a search on TV to find an answer to my question - going back to 2007 someone asked exactly the same thing, but there was no answer that I could see.

Can't answer your question but could you explain to me the advantages or disadvantages of having a yellow book. I have had one for the past five years but just today my neighbour went to his local Amphur, Doi Saket, and they advised him not to apply for one, they told him that if he had a yellow book and run up depts. and then cleared off that his live in partner would then be responsible for those debts. Would like to hear from anyone that could throw some light on this.

You don't need to be married. I'm single and have a yellow book, but the owner of the house will have to agree, since the yellow book is coupled to the blue book.

Nothing to do with debts also, it is only proof of address, nothing more.

Edit : If you have done a search on the forum, you will have noticed that most Amphur's just make up the rules, which may be in your favor or not.

Edited by PeterSmiles
  • Like 2

Being married has nothing to do with yellow house book, it. Is simply documental proof or where you live. I got mine a few years ago and have used it at immigration and for driving licence renewal and more recently to register at the local hospital. And I am not married nor do I have a Thai partner.

Can't answer your question but could you explain to me the advantages or disadvantages of having a yellow book. I have had one for the past five years but just today my neighbour went to his local Amphur, Doi Saket, and they advised him not to apply for one, they told him that if he had a yellow book and run up depts. and then cleared off that his live in partner would then be responsible for those debts. Would like to hear from anyone that could throw some light on this.

So from your post I can only assume you are planning to run up large debts and then clear off ? How exactly would these debts be run up ?

I think more likely the local Amphor can't be bothered. Some people see the advantage of having a yellow book, others don't. If you don't see an advantage, don't get one.

totster :)

Being married has nothing to do with yellow house book, it. Is simply documental proof or where you live. I got mine a few years ago and have used it at immigration and for driving licence renewal and more recently to register at the local hospital. And I am not married nor do I have a Thai partner.

I bet you don't live in Udon Thani then!

I see the poster before you reckons that each amphur interprets the rules their own way.

I live with my 'wife' although so far only have had a customary village ceremony. I have had a yellow book for years.

The yellow book was necessary for me to open a bank account at the Bangkok bank in our village, but it is not necessary everywhere. I think this is probably typical where different rules are applied in different branches of the same organisations.

When I applied for a visa for my partner to go to Australia with me, instead of producing all sorts of documents to prove a relationship, the production of the yellow book was enough.

For me the yellow book is worth having.

I have two friends who arnt married to thai women but they live as married couples both have a yellow book...I live 20 kms away my local office only a couple of weeks ago said to myself that I needed to be married and they must see the marriage certificate even though I was married in the same office..then I have to get the whole of my UK passport translated into thai ????...and so on and so on the list was long........one of my friends with the yellow book went to re new his driving licence and showed his book as evidence of address...this was accepted......my other friend went to the same office to re new his licence with his yellow book he was refused due to his yellow book ???? he had to get his girlfriend to come to the licence office with her blue book ????.......nothing is straight forward here , I believe they don't know what they are doing or what their jobs are.......

So from your post I can only assume you are planning to run up large debts and then clear off ? How exactly would these debts be run up ?

I think more likely the local Amphor can't be bothered. Some people see the advantage of having a yellow book, others don't. If you don't see an advantage, don't get one.

totster smile.png

What a ridiculous reply, I have no intension of running up large depts. or clearing off, the local Amphur can't be bothered to what? What do you mean 'if you don't see an advantage don't get one' read the post, I said I have had one for five years. Please don't respond.

• Like 2

Yellow Tabien Ban is evidence of your domacile "when you applied". Go and figure where you could be next year (for example). I find mine handy for many uses as mentioned above (No debts). I have mine countersigned and dated each year by the Phu Yai Ban.

Local Ampurs often have rediculously different rules as you have seen.

In Udon Amphoe just go to the rightmost counter.

The guy there (with a very unique chin, so easy to recognize) speaks some words English but anyway your GF can translate.

I'm single, rented a house in Udon and just got my yellow tabien baan from him before Loy Krathong.

Regards,

Derk

You don't need to be married. I'm single and have a yellow book, but the owner of the house will have to agree, since the yellow book is coupled to the blue book.

Nothing to do with debts also, it is only proof of address, nothing more.

Edit : If you have done a search on the forum, you will have noticed that most Amphur's just make up the rules, which may be in your favor or not.

Exactly what happened to me,,, the owner signed an agreement and now i have the yellow book, i can buy a car in my name, nothing to do with debts.

Re the issue of the Thai home owners for farang folks who are renting....

In what form did the Thai home owners have to officially consent for you to apply for the yellow books?

Did they have to physically accompany you when you went to the Amphur Office to apply for the yellow book, or was simply you providing the standard photocopied and signed sheet of their Thai ID sufficient?

Yellow Tabien Ban is evidence of your domacile "when you applied". Go and figure where you could be next year (for example). I find mine handy for many uses as mentioned above (No debts). I have mine countersigned and dated each year by the Phu Yai Ban.

On what page of the yellow house registration book (TR.13) does your Village Headman countersign the book every year?

Had this problem about 9yrs ago, amphur told me I could've get a house book because I' m a farang ( think they wanted a donation). So the next time I visited BKK I went to the government area and found the appropriate office, explained the situation to a senior official, who immediately rang my Amphur and instructed them to issue the book to me. On returning to my amphur office they quikly issued me with the yellow book, strangely they made no comment or smile.

On what page of the yellow house registration book (TR.13) does your Village Headman countersign the book every year?

I just have Wifey take the book to him when he is giving his Daily early morning "Sermon" and he just signs on the next available space with signature(?), his 'title' and date.

What a ridiculous reply, I have no intension of running up large depts. or clearing off, the local Amphur can't be bothered to what? What do you mean 'if you don't see an advantage don't get one' read the post, I said I have had one for five years. Please don't respond.

Well, the only reason you would be worried is if that is what you were intending to do it (i.e running off leaving debts). In you haste to ridicule my post you forgot to mention how one racks up these debts you talk about - please DO respond.

In the case of your neighbour, it seems they are more likely trying to put him off applying for a yellow book by scaring him with stories as they can't be bothered (or don't know how) to issue one.

You said..

but could you explain to me the advantages or disadvantages of having a yellow book.

I said..

Some people see the advantage of having a yellow book, others don't. If you don't see an advantage, don't get one.

I think that's pretty self explanatory...

With friendlyness..

totster smile.png

• Like 1

I have the blue book with my name in it, can this also be used as proof of address or is it only the yellow book that can be used for this purpose?

NO----- you should not be holding the Blue book------- that is for the owner of the property not you

I have the blue book with my name in it, can this also be used as proof of address or is it only the yellow book that can be used for this purpose?

NO----- you should not be holding the Blue book------- that is for the owner of the property not you

I am the owner of the condo the book was issued for, my name is in the book and I live there. OP said that his GF name was in his blue book because she lived there not because she owned it, his name was on the chanote.

So again; can the blue book be used as proof of address or is it only the yellow book that can be used for this purpose.

I am the owner of the condo the book was issued for, my name is in the book and I live there. OP said that his GF name was in his blue book because she lived there not because she owned it, his name was on the chanote.

So again; can the blue book be used as proof of address or is it only the yellow book that can be used for this purpose.

Since the blue book is an official document and has the address and your name in it, I don't see why it couldn't be used for the same purposes as the yellow book.

Yellow book is issued to a foreigner ONLY, why blue book is for Thais, but under certain circumstances a foreign name can be inserted.

The answer is yes. The 2008 amendments to the Civil Registration Act require district offices to register all aliens living in their districts including those with temporary permission to stay, i.e. not permanent residents. The law doesn't define this further but the official interpretation from the ministry seems to be anyone with permission to stay of more than 6 months. The law doesn't mention the marital status of the aliens that have to be registered, so it doesn't matter whether you are married to or in a relationship with a Thai or not. It also doesn't matter whether you rent or own the property you live in but you do need the owner's written consent to get on the tabien baan. I was single and living in rental accommodation when I got in my first tabien baan.

• Like 1

Since the blue book is an official document and has the address and your name in it, I don't see why it couldn't be used for the same purposes as the yellow book.

Yellow book is issued to a foreigner ONLY, why blue book is for Thais, but under certain circumstances a foreign name can be inserted.

The regulations clearly state that TR14 (blue book) is only for Thais and aliens with permanent residence and that TR13 (yellow book) is for aliens with temporary permission to stay and illegal immigrants with special leave to remain. Some district offices seem to have mistakenly put foreigners with temporary permission to stay in blue tabien baans. Maybe they wanted to save the cost of a new yellow book, if a blue one already existed for that address! Being in a blue book, rather than a yellow one, whether correctly or not doesn't enhance your status in any way. Blank blue books are normally handed over to whoever buys a new condo or house but that doesn't give foreigners with temporary permission to stay the right to have their names entered in them.

Not the case. As mentioned above the colour of the book depends on your nationality or immigration status. Anyone can be entered in either a blue book or a yellow book as "Jao Baan" which in this context means householder not property owner. If not the owner, they need written permission of the owner. I am entered in a blue book as "Jao Baan" for a house that I do not own and I am not Thai. Every address needs a householder who is held responsible for reporting any changes in his household.

Are you a foreigner?

If yes, are you the holder of a Certificate of Residence?

If yes, it is correct that your name should be on the blue house registration book as a resident at that address.

If no, you were erroneously listed in the blue book as a resident at that address.

Are you a foreigner?

If yes, are you the holder of a Certificate of Residence?

If yes, it is correct that your name should be on the blue house registration book as a resident at that address.

If no, you were erroneously listed in the blue book as a resident at that address.

Thanks for the information, that clarifies everything.

I'm a foreigner and was pretty sure my name was in my blue book, not 100% sure now but will check when I get back to Thailand in January. I have a copy of the chanote and my name is on this, in Thai script.

I guess that the chanote can not be used as proof of residence as it is just proof of ownership.