Good tv series

beechbum

On 6/12/2019 at 1:56 PM, Psimbo said:

Enjoyed (should I have?) Chernobyl, currently doing The Blacklist and Spader is on form again.

Just heard about The Cold Blue about the 8th AIr Force and am downloading it.

Danger Close- The Battle of Long Tan is due for release in August.

Agree about the Blacklist, lt was decent before but they seemed to have stepped up a gear in this season.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:41 PM, Psimbo said:

Part way through Killing Eve S2- it's bingeworthy. There's something about Sandra Oh that does it for me.

Watched both series in the past week and a bit. I thought 1 better than 2 but still well worth watching. They're filming series 3 now.

Yes, there's something about Sandra Oh but I'm in the Jodie Comer camp!

• Like 1

If you enjoyed Shameless, the new(ish) Paul Abbott gritty TV series called No Offence is worth a try. Yet again about the worst type of people in Manchester (including the cops). 3 series are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Euphoria" -  Drugs, explicit sex, violence. Not for the sensitive.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8772296/

"Jett" - Not about Joan and The Blackhearts. Part of the new trend of mid age women playing strong, smart, sexy, former thieves outwitting the bumbling men around her. Entertaining.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8594276/

"Reef Break" - Set in a fictional US Pacific territory that looks suspiciously like Australia's Gold Coast. Part of the new trend of mid age women playing strong, smart, sexy, former thieves outwitting the bumbling men around her. This lady is also a surf chick despite her years.  Rubbish, but good for a laugh.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8892926/

"Wild Bill" - A new concept, an English Police drama set in a rural village!  This one has the twist of an American Chief Constable (?) with a checkered past (played by the aging Rob Lowe seeking a permanent paycheck after his medical show was cancelled). Many clichés - his wife died, he has a teenage daughter with adjustment problems, a scheming underling who feels she should have got the promotion, a veteran detective set in the old ways who resents the Yank upsetting the apple cart, etc., etc.

Better than it sounds, I'll watch a few more episodes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9118930/ 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Will check out Wild Bill S01E01, but, it has a low imdb score of only 6.3.

Too much good stuff out there to waste time on the mediocre stuff.

Euphoria has a higher rating and is way outside the usual safe formulaic offerings , but, of course, is not British.

Warning!

The Mist (Netflix TV Series).  It's a dog, and I don't mean whatever is hiding out there terrorising the town's stereotypical inhabitants.  The budget clearly went on two or three reasonable CGI scenes leaving nothing to pay a cast or writers even though the original Stephen King novella was good source material.  So outstandingly bad, that many reviewers gave up after the first three episodes.  Me too.

The 2007 movie of the same name is a seriously scary and claustrophobic adaptation which is definitely worth your time. 

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Euphoria has a higher rating and is way outside the usual safe formulaic offerings , but, of course, is not British.

I don't confine myself to just British stuff. In fact, still watching Farscape which is Australian.

In general, I find the imdb ratings are pretty good. Usually won't bother with anything less than 7.

I don't confine myself to just British stuff. In fact, still watching Farscape which is Australian.
In general, I find the imdb ratings are pretty good. Usually won't bother with anything less than 7.

Regarding Farscape:
Not heard about this but always give credit to recommendations on here ( and imdb) and it sounds like a great program for some serious bingeing !! , 22 episodes a season !!

Quick question, reading a review on imdb it says that it was cancelled after 4 seasons but left open a cliffhanger which, due to public demand, was resolved with a short mini series in 2004 .
Looking at downloading this, so the 4 seasons and the mini series ( The Peacekeeper Wars ) is what I need ??

At the risk of failing to meet the standards of others on the forum, I'll mention another show that has grown on me. To each their own, I detest some of the English fare that some posters rant about on these pages.

L.A.'s Finest 

Initially drew me in because of the Jessica Alba factor. Gabrielle Union is the other part of the crime fighting duo. 

(Part of the new trend of mid age women playing strong, smart, sexy, former thieves outwitting the bumbling men around them).

With the banter during a shootout, it first seemed to be an attempt to do a girlie version of Riggs and Murtaugh or Bad Boys. (Actually it is a spin off from BBs)  And with Alba starting to show her age and no longer the incredible vision from "Into The Blue", it was initially a little disappointing. 

Stuck with it, and it evolved into something a lot grittier, with both stars having complex back stories shown in flashbacks. I'm enjoying it, it's far from the first time I've disagreed with critics!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7555294/

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Regarding Farscape:
Not heard about this but always give credit to recommendations on here ( and imdb) and it sounds like a great program for some serious bingeing !! , 22 episodes a season !!

Quick question, reading a review on imdb it says that it was cancelled after 4 seasons but left open a cliffhanger which, due to public demand, was resolved with a short mini series in 2004 .
Looking at downloading this, so the 4 seasons and the mini series ( The Peacekeeper Wars ) is what I need ??

Yes, the Peacekeeper Wars is actually a movie. Watch it last. 

• Like 1

Regarding Farscape:

Just downloaded and watched the first few episodes,used to like the series, unfortunatly it seems a little "simple" now more for younger viewers, shame but just deleted it,going to give the Sopranoes a go ,

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

41 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Sopranos: along with NYPD Blue, The Wire and Breaking Bad it's credited with changing the face of TV drama productions.  Hope you enjoy it.

Agree, but, NYPD Blue certainly doesn't belong in that group. Substitute it with Deadwood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Agree, but, NYPD Blue certainly doesn't belong in that group. Substitute it with Deadwood.

Deadwood was undoubtedly excellent, but other than the genre, I wouldn't class it as groundbreaking.

NYPD Blue (and Hill Street Blues before it) broke the mould as far as production techniques with their hand held, fly-on-the-wall type camera work and storytelling that featured ensemble casts with secondary story arcs that overlapped to run for several episodes at a time and so on.  These two shows really did go on to influence TV drama in a huge way.  If you're interested, see this article: https://www.thewrap.com/steven-bochco-legacy-4-ways-nypd-blue-co-creator-changed-tv/

new show
Euphoria

Though at times hard to watch, Euphoria balances its brutal honesty with an empathetic -- and visually gorgeous -- eye to create a uniquely challenging and illuminating series, held together by a powerfully understated performance from Zendaya.

• Like 1

Far from a 'new tv series' - but happy to see that Netflix are now showing The Big Bang Theory ????.

I wish they'd spend less on coming up with new films/programmes, and more on buying other films.  You can pretty much guarantee that when I enter the name of a film/programme I would like to see into the search function- it's not there......

Having said that, they have produced a few wonderful programmes that would never have materialised without their financial backing.

Bosch on Amazon Prime is brilliant.
Just finished watching Loudermilk (Season 1 & 2). Season 1 started really well and got me hooked, but possibly lost it a bit half way, but I really enjoyed Season 2 and thought it was excellent all the way through. Can’t wait for Season 3.
Happy on Netflix is good (Season 2 out recently). Rake on Netflix is also good. I also thought Altered Carbon on Netflix is good (sci-fi). I also enjoyed watching Dead To Me and Good Girls on Netflix.
There’s tons of foreign dramas on Netflix and Amazon worth checking out. If you’re in the UK, Channel 4 Walter Presents has a large catalog of good foreign drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Utopia - UK channel 4 series that is currently being remade for Amazon.     Conspiracy Apocalypse if thats your thing.

Lasted 2 seasons in the UK - i think C4 lost their nerve. 

Watch the UK one first.   I doubt Amazon will be as brave with the subject matter.