Nothern loop route advise

Hili

Hi,

Originally i planned a Northern trip as follows:

BKK – Tak – maehong son – pai – chiang rai - chiang mai

For some reasons i have to go to chiang mai in the first place now. I wonder whats a good nice route for about 2 days to get to chiang rai? How about this? Any recommendations for an exact interesting route not only main roads.

BKK – chiang mai – pai – mae hong son - chiang rai?

Thanks!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about CM-Hot-Mae Sarieng-Mae Hong Song-Pai-Chiang Dao-Arunothai-Doi Anghkang-Doi Mae Salong-Chiang Rai.

The back way on HWY-1340 to Doi Angkhang is rather quiet but very scenic, and then you could carry on to Doi Mae Salong.

• Like 2

i say 'Pethcaboon' and national park there than 'Nan' - with a ferry trip to pass the dam lake - - 'Phayao' - one of the coolest city up North by the lake, amazing sunset, my favorite after Nan - Chiang Mai is a boring place with lots of Chinese tourist if you ask me - and Chiang Mai.

Than from Chiang Mai up to Pai and Mae Hong Son -Chiang Rai etc.

Dont go from Tak - Chiang Mai, that road is boring like hell!

Have a nice trip Hili!

Edited by ll2

i say 'Pethcaboon' and national park there than 'Nan' - with a ferry trip to pass the dam lake - - 'Phayao' - one of the coolest city up North by the lake, amazing sunset, my favorite after Nan - Chiang Mai is a boring place with lots of Chinese tourist if you ask me - and Chiang Mai.

Than from Chiang Mai up to Pai and Mae Hong Son -Chiang Rai etc.

Dont go from Tak - Chiang Mai, that road is boring like hell!

Have a nice trip Hili!

If you take the 106 at Theon to chiang mai nice road with some good twisties, Theon is north Tak about 80k.

Thanks for all the advises, but still i need to go straight to chiang mai first due i am in breaking in period and will service the bike at 1000 when iam there and chiang my is the only official dealer for me in the north. So starting from chiang mai the route from t–dog is looking nice. Still open for other routes as i couldn't find one on gt riders; rough direction should be chiang rai.

Chiang Mai to Chiang rai over two days... I would do a easterly loop through Nan. The northerly loop through Fang is too short to fill the time...

Just explored that route on maps and its looking quite good! Thanks.

So looks roughly like

BKK - Chiang Mai - Nan - Chiang Rai - around the golden Triangle (3days) - Chiang Mai (new years eve) - Mae Sot - BKK

any roads to avoid in these areas nowadays?

Data from the first week of December:

North and east of Chiang Rai, the 1271 and 1129 have significant sections of roadworks around Chiang Saen and Chiang Khong. Not impassable, but unlikely to be fun on anything but a DualSport... I don't have any info on the roads south from Nan into CR. Should be a great trip - the temperature just dropped overnight so make sure your heated grips are working!

Enjoy.

• Like 1

What you guys think from chiang mai to nan which route is better 118/120 or 11? Thanks

118 - 120 - 1251 - 1091

best twisties! nice scenery! especially 1251 and 1091. perfect and winding!

have a nice trip.

• Like 1

What you guys think from chiang mai to nan which route is better 118/120 or 11? Thanks

118 - 120 - 1251 - 1091

have a nice trip.

You can do this route in one day as I have ridden on my PCX

• Like 1

I recently (last week) did the following:

Day 01 Bkk - Lamphang - CM (no fun, just needed to get to CM asap)

Day 02 CM - Doi Inthanon - Khun Yuam - MHS (the 108 KY to MHS is a must on a big bike)

Day 03 MHS - Pai - CM

Day 04 CM - Samoeng loop to Mae Rim - Phayao - Nan

Day 05 Nan - 1339 - ferry crossing - Bkk

Given my limited time, I could not get in Chiang Rai or Chiang Khong or Phu Chi Fa. If you have the time, I would suggest including these stops as well

• Like 2

118 - 120 - 1251 - 1091

have a nice trip.

1251 is not a super smooth road though just keep in mind.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you get to Nan the 1080 is a great ride and when leaving Nan be sure to take the 1148 to Chiang Kham and then on to Chiang Rai. If you have time the views on the way to Phu Chi Fa and Pha Tang are worth seeing.

While I understand the desire to see how far and how fast one can move down the road on a bike, it really is worth taking a little more time and actually seeing something other than the surface of the road.

• Like 2

Ok went Chiang Mai - nan by 118, 120, 1251, 1091 as suggested. Well thanks one of mi best rides this year. Road conditions are good to perfect. Now looking for a good route nan - Chiang rai :P

Edited by Hili
  • Like 2

Ok went Chiang Mai - nan by 118, 120, 1251, 1091 as suggested. Well thanks one of mi best rides this year. Road conditions are good to perfect. Now looking for a good route nan - Chiang rai tongue.png

1080 - 1148 - 1021 - 1020 - 1152

enjoy hili!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

How about CM-Hot-Mae Sarieng-Mae Hong Song-Pai-Chiang Dao-Arunothai-Doi Anghkang-Doi Mae Salong-Chiang Rai.

The back way on HWY-1340 to Doi Angkhang is rather quiet but very scenic, and then you could carry on to Doi Mae Salong.

You are spot on T Dog, Anghang has that certain someting early morn, even in my car. You Bikers realy know Thailand . Many love Nan to Uttaradit , bit fast, but those curves are memorable. Stay Safe.thumbsup.gif