Buying a new bike

dogpoo

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the maxi scooter from Yamaha? Not cheap but they say it goes like a bat out of hell up to 165 km/h.

See a few around in Pattaya.

Are you talking about the T Max? Lots of money over 500k

Yes that's the one.

Well if Yamaha will start selling at sensible prices then one can be had much cheaper, but when/if that will happen only Yamaha knows.

The NC700 at the moment is a very good deal considering the price has been dropped to 355k it's perfect for the traffic here and perfect for my trips up to Cha am, the other aspect is fuel consumption, apparently it is quite simply amazing, all seems good! One report on you tube had the guy saying it was better fuel consumption than his 125 moped!

Edited by dogpoo

^^ T-Max would be awesome - but once you get into the 500k+ range it kinda makes it hard to justify I am sure!

Agreed, what about its younger sibling the S-Max. I think it would match your spec.

I am still undecided what to get if anything, looked at many reviews and seen many bikes, my budget is limited so the bikes that have my wants are few, the NC700 is perfect apart from it being chain drive, the only bike which is perfect and just within my reach at the moment is the VFR1200, after this month it will be way out of my reach as the price goes back to 960k I have to look at owning this bike and it's costs, Honda service is not cheap(3000bht for the first service, fuel costs will increase a lot, insurance is 20k it's a big powerful bike which will mostly be used in Phuket so I think it's best to forget the VFR, I keep looking outside at the Forza, it's a fantastic bike, it's so cheap to run and maintain, it is perfect for me, I think I will look into the T Max and see how much they are new, if I sell the Forza the T Max would become affordable for me, it's worth finding out before rushing in and buying something that I will regret! I could go for the CB500X but I do not want a manual bike anymore!

The trouble with me is that I rush in and I change my mind quicker than the wind changes direction, this has been a constant problem with me all my life, bought many many bikes and cars which have been sold quickly, this time I am being more careful, I don't like being careful as it's great to see something and buy it, it's got to stop now!! I will have a look at the T Max tomorrow, go through the costs of owning the bike and decide, at the end of the day I have a great bike/scooter already so it's not all bad, it's been good looking at bikes and thinking about buying something new, I have learnt a few things along the way!

Regarding the NC700 after doing more research this morning I have realized there are a few things which are not good about the bike, the seat is extremely soft, I noticed this when I sat on the bike, I also noticed that I was very close to the tank which would become a problem when braking, the front mud guard is very short which will allow stones etc to hit the radiator, the fuel filler is at the back which means getting off the bike to re-fuel, I would have to buy luggage which is not cheap, all in all this has now become a non starter, if I had done this much research with my previous purchases I would be wealthy!

Thanks to everyone that has taken the trouble to reply.

Edited by dogpoo

You definitely need to look at the Honda CTX 700. With DCT, it is in your price range and automatic.

Also the new Yamaha Nouvo SX Real Madrid edition is automatic, belt-driven not chain driven, cruises at around 110 kmh with a much higher top speed and at around 60,000 Baht would allow you to 'make a mistake' and then buy another one. Plus you would get lots of envious stares due to the unique Real Madrid styling. You must check it out. I think it is a goer. Very suitable for Phuket either on beachside traffic or up those steep hills weaving around the overloaded trucks.

Edited by Briggsy

You definitely need to look at the Honda CTX 700. With DCT, it is in your price range and automatic.

Also the new Yamaha Nouvo SX Real Madrid edition is automatic, belt-driven not chain driven, cruises at around 110 kmh with a much higher top speed and at around 60,000 Baht would allow you to 'make a mistake' and then buy another one. Plus you would get lots of envious stares due to the unique Real Madrid styling. You must check it out. I think it is a goer. Very suitable for Phuket either on beachside traffic or up those steep hills weaving around the overloaded trucks.

Okay I'll have a look at that, I thought it was manual! will have a look tomorrow! the CTX is not showing on the big wing web sites!

Edited by dogpoo

Yes, CTX has just been added to their Thai range. Bikes are in showrooms and orders were taken at the recent Motor Expo.

Just watched you tube and a test of this bike, looks very good with the hard luggage, I will be looking into it tomorrow!

What is the price of the DCT model?

Edited by dogpoo

^^ T-Max would be awesome - but once you get into the 500k+ range it kinda makes it hard to justify I am sure!

Agreed, what about its younger sibling the S-Max. I think it would match your spec.

I am still undecided what to get if anything, looked at many reviews and seen many bikes, my budget is limited so the bikes that have my wants are few, the NC700 is perfect apart from it being chain drive, the only bike which is perfect and just within my reach at the moment is the VFR1200, after this month it will be way out of my reach as the price goes back to 960k I have to look at owning this bike and it's costs, Honda service is not cheap(3000bht for the first service, fuel costs will increase a lot, insurance is 20k it's a big powerful bike which will mostly be used in Phuket so I think it's best to forget the VFR, I keep looking outside at the Forza, it's a fantastic bike, it's so cheap to run and maintain, it is perfect for me, I think I will look into the T Max and see how much they are new, if I sell the Forza the T Max would become affordable for me, it's worth finding out before rushing in and buying something that I will regret! I could go for the CB500X but I do not want a manual bike anymore!

The trouble with me is that I rush in and I change my mind quicker than the wind changes direction, this has been a constant problem with me all my life, bought many many bikes and cars which have been sold quickly, this time I am being more careful, I don't like being careful as it's great to see something and buy it, it's got to stop now!! I will have a look at the T Max tomorrow, go through the costs of owning the bike and decide, at the end of the day I have a great bike/scooter already so it's not all bad, it's been good looking at bikes and thinking about buying something new, I have learnt a few things along the way!

Regarding the NC700 after doing more research this morning I have realized there are a few things which are not good about the bike, the seat is extremely soft, I noticed this when I sat on the bike, I also noticed that I was very close to the tank which would become a problem when braking, the front mud guard is very short which will allow stones etc to hit the radiator, the fuel filler is at the back which means getting off the bike to re-fuel, I would have to buy luggage which is not cheap, all in all this has now become a non starter, if I had done this much research with my previous purchases I would be wealthy!

Thanks to everyone that has taken the trouble to reply.

Changing my chain and sprockets at bigwing now at honda bigwing bkk and have a friend here with a nicely made nc700x. He also sells front fender extension for 850 thb. And he claims seat is super comfy.

If nc700x is not for you, get cb500x.

Ct700 is also good but dct one is 100 k more than nc700x.

And it does not make any sense to change your forza with another maxi scooter imo. Dont do that!

Check the photos.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-184955-13877115615851_thumb.jpg

post-184955-13877115787172_thumb.jpg

post-184955-13877115956707_thumb.jpg

ll2 How was Banaza?

It looked like a fun day!

Dogpoo Before you drop a load on a major purchase with Yamaha Make sure they have decent customer service! The shop in Pattaya is horrendous.

It took me a whole 10 minutes to walk in & out due to their lack of attentiveness & about zero knowledge of their product. I new more about the bikes I had selected than they did. on both the Dragstars I wanted to get they couldn't even tell me what the duties & taxes were on the smaller & 1100 series I inquired about. I was not to impressed. On the 1100 I was led to believe that the warranty work would not be done by Yamaha in Pattaya since it was an import. That's all I needed to hear. The impo9rt should be exactly the same in terms of maintenance & they were trying to sell me on it was a special breed which is BS. I hope Phuket is better or run to either a Honda or Kawasaki. For touring even the 650 Versys would be perfect for your body size. I would have bought the Versys myself but 5'8 would be about the perfect minimum height. If you select to big of bike it may be tough to maneuver around the Islands! Have you thought of renting the bikes you are interested in before you buy?

It made my decision Easy when I rented a Ninja Honda & the ER6n. I was able to pin down the exact bike I wanted by renting them for 2 days each. I liked the ER6n over the Ninja because it seemed a lot cooler on my legs than the full fairing bike.And the Honda wasn't offered in the 650 range at the time & since I have not toured much in LOS the 1000CBR was more than I needed & the ER gets around Pattaya traffic much easier.

Even though the price will change The bike companies seem to drop their prices to be in with the competition so I would not jam yourself to buy quick because of that selling point only. Cause you never know. The Givi box I wanted was 6800 at first no discount(at Kawasaki Pattaya) next day I came in with 5000 baht in 5 1000 baht notes & they broke to 5200 . So money in hand does talk regardless what they tell you- No one likes to see cash walk out the door......That being said it still won't get the delivery date Que jumped up I found out. They even gave me 20% off on the frame sliders I got (not an advertised discount)

The big bike Yamaha dealer here is probably no better, went in there last year and not one person could speak any English, most dealers usually have someone that can, I saw a T Max today parked up, it looks smaller than the Forza, if it is then it's no good, I'm taking my time I need to make the right choice this time!

ll2 How was Banaza?

It looked like a fun day!

Dogpoo Before you drop a load on a major purchase with Yamaha Make sure they have decent customer service! The shop in Pattaya is horrendous.

It took me a whole 10 minutes to walk in & out due to their lack of attentiveness & about zero knowledge of their product. I new more about the bikes I had selected than they did. on both the Dragstars I wanted to get they couldn't even tell me what the duties & taxes were on the smaller & 1100 series I inquired about. I was not to impressed. On the 1100 I was led to believe that the warranty work would not be done by Yamaha in Pattaya since it was an import. That's all I needed to hear. The impo9rt should be exactly the same in terms of maintenance & they were trying to sell me on it was a special breed which is BS. I hope Phuket is better or run to either a Honda or Kawasaki. For touring even the 650 Versys would be perfect for your body size. I would have bought the Versys myself but 5'8 would be about the perfect minimum height. If you select to big of bike it may be tough to maneuver around the Islands! Have you thought of renting the bikes you are interested in before you buy?

It made my decision Easy when I rented a Ninja Honda & the ER6n. I was able to pin down the exact bike I wanted by renting them for 2 days each. I liked the ER6n over the Ninja because it seemed a lot cooler on my legs than the full fairing bike.And the Honda wasn't offered in the 650 range at the time & since I have not toured much in LOS the 1000CBR was more than I needed & the ER gets around Pattaya traffic much easier.

Even though the price will change The bike companies seem to drop their prices to be in with the competition so I would not jam yourself to buy quick because of that selling point only. Cause you never know. The Givi box I wanted was 6800 at first no discount(at Kawasaki Pattaya) next day I came in with 5000 baht in 5 1000 baht notes & they broke to 5200 . So money in hand does talk regardless what they tell you- No one likes to see cash walk out the door......That being said it still won't get the delivery date Que jumped up I found out. They even gave me 20% off on the frame sliders I got (not an advertised discount)

bonanza was great fun beardog. i ll post a report soon.

dogpoo, in the end i feel like you will get the cb500x!

Edited by ll2

Just had a thought, what about the the Kawasaki Vulcan!., not sure but no harm taking a look!

The Vulcans are an awesome bike. I have a buddy that has a 2005 800cc. that I used for a bit in the Bay area in the states. Enough power & extremely comfortable to ride. I was impressed that a beginner of 200cc's would feel very comfortable with the bike. They have a very low center of gravity so they just balance by themselves.

It would be just as good as an Island bike or a freeway-city bike. Cant lose with the Vulcan. I was bummed he would sell me his bike for 60,000 baht but it would cost over 250,000 to get it here & taxed without emissions & reg.to bad it only had 5000 miles on it & oil changed every 500 miles well taken care of. They are a real decent bike & plenty of punch to get around or get out of a bad situation in a hurry & look real nice for a cruiser style bike. Plenty of room for tall or short. Joe is 6'2 & fits fine on his bike.

Just had a thought, what about the the Kawasaki Vulcan!., not sure but no harm taking a look!

The Vulcans are an awesome bike. I have a buddy that has a 2005 800cc. that I used for a bit in the Bay area in the states. Enough power & extremely comfortable to ride. I was impressed that a beginner of 200cc's would feel very comfortable with the bike. They have a very low center of gravity so they just balance by themselves.

It would be just as good as an Island bike or a freeway-city bike. Cant lose with the Vulcan. I was bummed he would sell me his bike for 60,000 baht but it would cost over 250,000 to get it here & taxed without emissions & reg.to bad it only had 5000 miles on it & oil changed every 500 miles well taken care of. They are a real decent bike & plenty of punch to get around or get out of a bad situation in a hurry & look real nice for a cruiser style bike. Plenty of room for tall or short. Joe is 6'2 & fits fine on his bike.

Cheers for that and I will look at them tomorrow, the Kawasaki dealer has both models in stock.

The big bike Yamaha dealer here is probably no better, went in there last year and not one person could speak any English, most dealers usually have someone that can, I saw a T Max today parked up, it looks smaller than the Forza, if it is then it's no good, I'm taking my time I need to make the right choice this time! ,

No it's not smaller and with 200+cc over the Forza it's a helluva lot faster, especially if you tweak the variator. But it's also a lot more expensive especially here in Thailand. Often reckoned to be the most sporty & best of the maxi's, I'd go along with that.

The big bike Yamaha dealer here is probably no better, went in there last year and not one person could speak any English, most dealers usually have someone that can, I saw a T Max today parked up, it looks smaller than the Forza, if it is then it's no good, I'm taking my time I need to make the right choice this time! ,

No it's not smaller and with 200+cc over the Forza it's a helluva lot faster, especially if you tweak the variator. But it's also a lot more expensive especially here in Thailand. Often reckoned to be the most sporty & best of the maxi's, I'd go along with that.

On GT rider forum they are very positive about it expect the silly price.

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/39291-Yamaha-T-MAx-500-530-in-Thailand