Switch from analogue to digital TV starts with 24 new channels from next month: Thailand

webfact

@johng

the information about DVB-T in Thailand can be found in the following doc.

http://broadcast.nbtc.go.th/tvwave/02/[1]Frequency_Plan_for_DTTB.pdf

In this doc you will find further info about locations of planned DVB-T stations, the channels they will use and transmission power

I received signals here in Bangkok on ch 26 and 36 using a DVB-T USB stick (with RTL2832U chip) in SDR mode no decoding of the signals only use this device to see spectrums of RF-signals in a range from 24 Mhz to about 1750 Mhz..

As antennae I use a simple BiQuad indoor.

TallGuyJohninBKK

as far as I know you are correct in your understandings

you'll need a HD reciever ( set top box ) for HD channels

sometimes they will broadcast the same channel in SD and HD

SD reciever will only get SD channels, HD reciever will get SD and HD channels.

I think that most if not all recievers on sale now are HD DVB-T2 recievers.

rstone thanks again for the info.

By receiver, I assume you're talking about a television with a built-in tuner.

I'm no expert in these things. But in the BKK Post article the other day, I believe it said that if someone is receiving an HD channel on an SD-only television, they'll still be able to view the HD, just it only will be displayed on their TV in SD format.

But SD vs. HD is different, separate issue from the prior analog TV channels and broadcasts vs. the coming digital TV channels and broadcasts. If someone has an analog TV at home that's HD capable, they still won't be able to receive over-the-air digital broadcasts without a digital converter set-top box, AFAIK.

I'm no expert either.

By receiver I meant anything that is capable of decoding the DTB-T signal

be it a stand alone set top box a USB stick or a built in tuner in a TV.

I believe it said that if someone is receiving an HD channel on an SD-only television, they'll still be able to view the HD, just it only will be displayed on their TV in SD format

Yes if you have a means of decoding the signal you can send the output to anything you want so you could view a HD channel on an old cathod ray tube tv or send it to your 20 foot projector screen ,record it on a VCR or watch on a non HD LCD / Plasma screen.

When the Digital switchover is complete the analogue signal will be switched off so the analogue tuners installed in most tv's at the moment will become redundant.. the set top box will then be used to switch channels the TV stays on a fixed channel ( that is the set top box's channel

best if its a HDMI connection between tv and set top box but component RGB or composite conection can be used )

To watch a HD channel in HD you need a HD capable receiver and a HD capable display conected by HDMI or RGB.

or a HD TV with built in DVB-T2 tuner.

hope that makes sense laugh.png

• 2 weeks later...

over 300 channels of utterly garbage

Correct - I have satellite TV at one of my hotels (too far from the cable system). With very few exceptions, the channels are total garbage.

As a teacher, what is of concern is that I can view more than 200 Thai TV channels on that system and, (with the exception of some business and ASEAN news), all programmes are in Thai language.

Why is there no Thai TV channel with 24/7 programmes in English language for expats and tourists? (Local channels do exist on the cable systems, but I'm not aware of a national entertainment channel in English)

Why is there no TV channel with 24/7 educational programmes in English language to help Thai children and adults learn English - the ASEAN language?

Why are foreign TV films/programmes not shown with English language audio and Thai sub-titles to help Thai people learn and understand English?

These are all retorical questions - I already know the answer!

Simon

W

Oh ye of simple understanding.

All films, serials and shows are of course in the Thai language.

Thailand is the most important country in the world, as follows, the Thai language also is the most important language in the world.

Fox crime started in Englsh....now nearly everything in Thai.

Why are foreign programms not shown in English with Tai subtitles?

Besides being too difficult see above!

• 1 month later...

Hi

I've got digital terrestrial TV up and working at home in Bangkok - mainly to see the FA Cup Final in HD

I recently bought a Samsung LED large screen TV which has an integrated digital tuner, but also bought an external digi box for an older TV in another room (but it does have HDMI)

There were about 4 or 5 to choose from in Big C, ranging from about 1300 to 2000 Baht.

I went for the snappily named Aconatic AN-2301T2 (about Bt1400) - it has HDMI and composite out, and allows you to pause and record TV to an external USB drive (in mts format - plays with vlc or via the box itself)

Aerial wise - I found this one to work better than a conventional 'yagi' type antenna (not sure if you can get them here - got it in the UK)

http://www.oneforall...-tv-aerial.html

advantage is you can hide it behind a cupboard or the TV itself.

the mutliplexes (muxes) in bangkok i found were

514 MHz - PRD

594 MHz - ?? (Ch5, 7, TNN24, Workpoint, True4u)

626 MHz - MCOT (various MCOT channels)

658 MHZ - TPBS mux (incl Ch 8, Ch3)

722 MHz - PPTV, new)tv, Bright, Nation, Amarin

some of these are HD, and there are quite a few colour bar channels (ie not yet broadcasting prgramming)

You can select 'VO' - version original on some programmes - and indeed the FA Cup was there on Ch 7 HD, with English commentary available by selecting VO.

Presumably the World Cup will be the same.....?

Edited by Haddo

More brain numbing Thai trash tv...I watch very few tv programmes for the past 6 months just too much advertising and basically garbage that I have no interest in hearing (especially all the crying screaming and basically Bollaks)

Bought the mother in law a Thai satellite system for New Year over 300 channels of, I still cant find the words to describe this stuff:facepalm:

+

I've been watching a Korean historical drama dubbed in Thai on HD channel 3 this week.

Good costumes.

This is going to slam poor people, especially. 22 million "planned" subsidty coupons for less than half of what a digital converter box costs is poor financial planning. The outlying areas will simply have almost no access to television now.

Bad idea.

Most households where I live have PSI satellite installed as the TV signal has been weak for many years. So it won't make much difference to their lives.

totster smile.png

That's my understanding also.

sorry, a bit late onto this one.

• 1 year later...

I myself am just giddy at the thought of HD coming to Thai domestic stations. I'm practically salivating over the thought of watching my nightly soap on Channel 3. Oh my, those pouting lips, steely stares, chisseled chins all in blistering HiDef. But there's more, imagine now you will get to hear those face slaps, screams, gut whalloping action scenes in 5.1 Dolby. I think I need to go for a lie down LOL

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You will also get to see spots, acne and facial hair in its full glory too! Not to mention any plastic surgery. Plus any dodgy make up.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...