Gloomy days ahead for Thai economy

webfact

Gloomy days ahead for Thai economy
By Digital Content

13886275884703.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 2 – Thailand is moving towards a gloomy economy this year with predicted negative developments in domestic consumption, private investment and exports, according to Kasikorn Research Centre.

The Centre forecast Thailand’s economic growth in 2013 at 2.7 per cent, a sharp drop from 6.5 per cent in 2012 while export will plunge to its worst in four years with only 0.3 per cent increase despite a strengthened global economy in the second half of last year and contributing baht movement.

Thai economy this year will be volatile given escalating political conflicts without concrete resolutions, it said.

If the political turmoil continues until mid-year, it will impact domestic consumption particularly in spending among households, private investment and state disbursement, it said.

The Centre said the negative factors will lead to uncertainty in Thailand’s economic recovery, adding that the Thai economy will possibly grow by only 2.5 per cent this year despite export achievements. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-02

CelticBhoy, on 02 Jan 2014 - 10:54, said:

Great news. Let the Baht slide

as it did in '97. No complaints

from me, that's for sure.

And then.....I am accused of bashing the Thais!

Self interest comments, like this, shows how much we care about the country we are living in!

Keep it up, mate, and I hope your wish will come true!!!!!!

• Like 2

yes, many looking only to their self interest. for me for example, a weak thai baht would not be that good (our company purchasing in usd abroad and selling in thb)... well, for some good, for some bad. also, if there should be any greater political disturbances, i wonder whether a holiday in thailand will still look attractive, even with a low baht. or retirement in thailand... well, also, retirees will get more for their usd of euro pensions - but on the other side, especially imported goods will get more expensive in thailand, including 'farang food'...:)

Self interest comments, like this, shows how much we care about the country we are living in!

export stronger because of weak baht: only good for these exporters who have 100 % thai-origin raw materials, no components bought abroad

but worse for inflation: rising prices for imported goods and how about energy? the world market's oil prices are quoted in usd!

and if there are political problems or disturbances, who will want to holiday in thailand, even with a low thai baht?

it's a cycle, that's for sure, but i would not need the political problems factor in the mix, that's a bad component for sure!

A devalued Bhat will limit the effect of recent wage rises, reposition the export industries in a stronger position and allow the tourist destinations to be more cost competitive and so bounce back quicker. It's all part of the cycle. Make the most of it while you can because the cycle will eventually see it rise and that will have a different set of economic affects.

export stronger because of weak baht: only good for these exporters who have 100 % thai-origin raw materials, no components bought abroad

but worse for inflation: rising prices for imported goods and how about energy? the world market's oil prices are quoted in usd!

and if there are political problems or disturbances, who will want to holiday in thailand, even with a low thai baht?

it's a cycle, that's for sure, but i would not need the political problems factor in the mix, that's a bad component for sure!

A devalued Bhat will limit the effect of recent wage rises, reposition the export industries in a stronger position and allow the tourist destinations to be more cost competitive and so bounce back quicker. It's all part of the cycle. Make the most of it while you can because the cycle will eventually see it rise and that will have a different set of economic affects.

first of all, if he does proceed with the shutdown and government offices won't work for some time, where will foreigners renew their visas and work permits during this period? i would not think that the government would just allow a stay of visa renewals or work permits for that period. remember the short closure of the employment office in phuket, after which they said that everybody found working without a valid - but already applied for - work permit would be arrested, even if that delay would have been caused by the temporary office closure? so, don't hold your breath for any changes in the rules for foreigners even if government offices will be closed....

well, maybe they will manage to set up alternate office locations for that period. then, i guess, suthep will shut these down too...

but generally, i do not think it would matter very much for foreigners which side would form the government. we wil still need visa, work permits, etc., under which government whatsoever...

Care about the country that we are living in,do you really think that the Thais care about us.I think that if Suthep gets his way it will be very hard for us to stay living in Thailand.

Why?

• Like 1

LuckyLew, on 02 Jan 2014 - 12:09, said:
Costas2008, on 02 Jan 2014 - 11:02, said:
CelticBhoy, on 02 Jan 2014 - 10:54, said:CelticBhoy, on 02 Jan 2014 - 10:54, said:

We farangs need more baht for the buck ... we have to keep getting visa and visa extension to stay here

Thais three favorite words are me me me ... so what is wrong with a little farang self interest?

So.....we should bring ourselves to the same intellectual level of some Thais?

I am an idiot for supporting the democrats, the red government is much better at destroying the country and bringing the baht down. I have to thank this incompetent government for raping the country and destroying its economy giving me more baht for my euro.

How could i be so stupid to support a competent government while with idiots in charge the baht drops like a stone.

Clearly you have no recollection of the 1990s

I am an idiot for supporting the democrats, the red government is much better at destroying the country and bringing the baht down. I have to thank this incompetent government for raping the country and destroying its economy giving me more baht for my euro.

How could i be so stupid to support a competent government while with idiots in charge the baht drops like a stone.

As i have just read it were not the democrats that were in charge then. So please explain.

But its just a plan to shift attention from the embarrassment that is this red government. The whole world economy is improving and Thailand is slipping.. rice scam has destroyed their nr rice exporter status. They want to do off the books projects so then can steal more. Come on defend them and make a fool out of yourself.

• Like 1

As i have just read it were not the democrats that were in charge then. So please explain.

But its just a plan to shift attention from the embarrassment that is this red government. The whole world economy is improving and Thailand is slipping.. rice scam has destroyed their nr rice exporter status. They want to do off the books projects so then can steal more. Come on defend them and make a fool out of yourself.

I don't defend this govt's economic record. It is very poor. On the other hand, Thaksin was a very good manager. Thailand did well under his time. The old guard, Democrats and their allies/cronies were hopeless

I don't defend this govt's economic record. It is very poor. On the other hand, Thaksin was a very good manager. Thailand did well under his time. The old guard, Democrats and their allies/cronies were hopeless

Taksin had the economic wind with him a world economy going up and all. Not hard to do a good job then. But even with the world economy getting better this government isnt doing a good job.

The democrats haven't been in power for a long time hard to blame them for anything.

• Like 2