Supreme commander calls on two sides to talk

Lite Beer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The army and military need to keep their noses clean in this civil dispute and conflict.

With the PDRC losing serious steam and the government more than willing to talk and work out a solution, the current slowdown of confrontation provides an opening to the mainstream leaders of all sides to sit, talk, moderate and find some common peaceful ground.

Abhisit needs today to clearly and publically state his support of discussions by each side while himself stepping aside.

As no Thai appears acceptable to any side or involved group, the Thais are just going to have to accept a cool head outside mediator, perhaps from Japan but certainly not from China. The United States is not acceptable because it has stated repeatedly that it supports the legitimate democratically elected government, which is a strange basis to exclude Washington, but the fact is the US is excluded.

Perhaps the Secretary General of Asean, Le Luong Minh might be someone to consider.

And what about the police!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Who can solve this mess? One side refuses to negotiate (understandable as most countries policies are not to negotiate with terrorists, as their opponents 2010 attack of Bangkok could be classified as) and the other side a clan with ambitions to take over the country and who are not shy to kill their opponents trough paid thugs.

By terrorists you mean urban the ones who stormed the airports and the ones sabotaging power, water, storming buildings and shooting police ? agreed.

Did that happened 2010?

• Like 2

Yesterday i received a news text from the other newspaper stating the Supreme Commander had denied he would stage a coup and would become PM.

That would be ' back to the future ' with a traditional military coup where they take power and hold onto it without bothering to hand over to a civilian administration.

Any thoughts on the possibility ?

I don't think that you need to be a clairvoyant to see whats going to happen here, no negotiation, more staged violence, military coup.wai2.gif

• Like 1

Yesterday i received a news text from the other newspaper stating the Supreme Commander had denied he would stage a coup and would become PM.

That would be ' back to the future ' with a traditional military coup where they take power and hold onto it without bothering to hand over to a civilian administration.

Good.

Every single Thai person of voting age will have their say on Feb 2nd. Let them have the final word.

You know that's not the case

This election is massively flawed

All people are flawed all governments are flawed so all elections anywhere in the world are flawed. Let's start getting used to BEING flawed. The sooner the better. Let the Thai people have their say. We are but guests in this land even if one has been granted resident status.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Every single Thai person of voting age will have their say on Feb 2nd. Let them have the final word.

You know that's not the case

This election is massively flawed

OK, I'll fall for it. How is the Election massively flawed? Please don't tell me it's because some of the southern provinces do not have candidates registered.

I don't think that you need to be a clairvoyant to see whats going to happen here, no negotiation, more staged violence, military coup.wai2.gif

Now that a special someone has spoken to the commander there is no chance. If I'm wrong I will turn into a vegan!

The general doesn't sound genuine to me, he never has.

I think he is stalling while they prepare for a judicial coup.

Agree, but I won't be calling it a judicial coup.... It's amazing that people get away with so much in Thailand, and it is well overdue.
  • Like 1

"We can't help ourselves, but by God, any foreigner better not try either."The general's xenophobia is quite apparent, and is sadly symptomatic of a bigger problem.It reminds me of the scores of government schools that hire foreign English teachers as token native speakers, but then relegate them to an obscure corner of the program, not allowing them to be part of the planning, execution, or evaluation process. They are only tolerated when they just keep their mouths shut (especially about program improvement) and just do their job. Xenophobia runs deeply just below the surface in this culture, particularly pervasive among those in top positions.

Very accurate summation indeed. Working at Rajamangala University for 3 years. I was often asked to present ideas on BE programs, best practice, formulation of English curriculum and then the Dean would thank me very much.... Until Thailand can start taking responsibility for their actions and except losing face and seeing that it is only human to make mistakes and or receive any kind of foreign assistance, this will unfortunately hold them back as a nation. The middle road must be found by all.

Perhaps your orthography or ideas were unACCEPTable

Many foreigners have misconceptions about the Thai educational system.They somehow hope it is to develop critical thinking,logic and challenging exisiting ideas as in the west.

If the status quo wanted an articulate well educated Isan they would encourage different systems.

The stance of the NHRC is correct. This administration seems bent on taking as hard a line as possible. They should stop and look at the people on the streets - who are the Thai people - and ask themselves how they can protect them from the continuous mini-army vigilante attacks. The administration is supposed to protect its own people, not look the other way when atrocities are committed. The army has been consistent with the balance of their argument. Unfortunately, the ones who are entrusted with the weapons and the responsibility to protect the people is the police. And the police by their actions have shown themselves woefully unworthy of that responsibility.