2 hard boiled eggs daily..

kirstymelb101

have in the past couple of months noticed pack of two boiled eggs at 7-11. have taken to eating them. at first i would just grab a pack without looking too closely. was getting annoyed that sometimes they were very runny. i was going to complain but then noticed that there are in fact two types one is harderboiled and the other is runny soft (some blue color on the pack).

now i chose runny more often because you can get them out of the egg shell easily and just pour them over my 7-11 packaged meal, and they taste ok too.

but here is the query, do runny eggs have a bigger chance of salmonella and other nasty stuff?. longer boiling is more likely to kill baddies and you know that runny eggs cant be long boiled. am risking it anyhow, you only live once.

Sometimes there are 3 types in 7-eleven. Don't forget the salty preserved ones (yuk to my taste),

Not sure about the bacteria issue but the soft boiled eggs can be ' waved ' to make a nice poached style egg without all the messy cleaning up to so.

Long time ago I saw a report about losing weight saying that boiled eggs are good because takes long to digest and the system will burn fat working longer...Who know?

I know that people will say that I am out my mind....but....this is what is happening with me here....

All my life my body didn't react well where eating fry eggs, and boiled eggs only with caution...but...I love eggs. When I moved here I started to have fry eggs for breakfast without any problems..and... from 2011....I am having at least 3 fry eggs every day, that equal to 21 fry eggs a week using rice oil.

I am 70 and more healthier and active here in Thailand than ever, and not increasing my weight. I will like to lose a little..but...still OK for my age...6 foot tall and 180lbs.....

No problems with cholesterol..... and my heart still pounding fast when I look at my beautiful wife...

Edited by thailampang2012
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what to think about eggs.

There is conflicting information.

It is now known that people who eat eggs for breakfast are less likely to be obese and eating eggs for breakfast does provide satiety for later in the day, so a tendency to eat less during the day.

On the other hand, cholesterol, and I do have issues with that medically.

So I've taken a middle ground, quite a bit higher than the egg phobics would suggest (like 2 a week) and much lower than the two or three DAILY.

I definitely don't eat eggs for breakfast daily.

Edited by Jingthing

The American egg board is trying to get funded by government hence watched over by them not to lie.

The USDA United States Department of Agriculture says;

They cannot use "healthy" or "nutritious" because that would be a lie.

They cannot say they're low calorie because it's not true.

They can't say they're low in saturated fat or call it a rich source of protein because they're not.

They can't say they're are helpful that would also be lying

They cant they are good by law, they exceed the limit for cholesterol.

they can't say they're safe because more than 100 000 Americans are poisoned by Salmonella every year because of eggs.

• Like 1

1 egg yolk holds 186g of cholesterol and should not consume more than 300g daily.

That would be the biggest ostrich egg ever found?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

300 gram daily, is pretty liberal....what is it half a ton beef?

A recent study (sorry no link) says people who eat eggs for breakfast are more successful with weight loss than those who eat more carb focused breakfasts. I think eggs are great but also feel wary about eating massive amounts of them, and I think two per day is pretty massive.

no day passes when i don't eat three 'massive' soft boiled eggs for breakfast and that notwithstanding the fact that i'm a heart patient. important is that both HDL and LDL are checked regularly and if necessary kept in check with appropriate medication (please no yada yada yakety-yak as far as "statins" are concerned or granma's secret to lower cholesterol by whistling "yankee doodle" at full moon 10 minutes past midnight Bangkok-Kuala Lumpur time zone).

worthwhile to mention is that dangerously high cholesterol levels occur even with vegetarians or pure vegans, not related to any food intake but by the body producing the dangerous stuff on its own.

egg white without yolk? no <deleted> way!

1 egg yolk holds 186g of cholesterol and should not consume more than 300g daily.

That would be the biggest ostrich egg ever found?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

you beat me to it. a big egg weighs 60 grams (40% yolk, 60% white).

by the way "180-190" is correct but it's milligrams.

The current position generally agreed by nutritionists and cardiovascular epidemiologists, and in the bulk of the scientific literature, is that eating eggs is not a serious concern for cardiovascular health.

As has been pointed out, the effects of eating cholesterol in your food on the amount of cholesterol in your blood are (counter-intuitively) pretty small, and very variable between individuals. Some people barely respond at all with any increase in blood cholesterol despite huge egg consumption: there is a famous case of an 88 year old man man who ate 25 eggs a day for at least 15 years. He did not have elevated LDL or any signs of heart disease. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199103283241306

The amount of saturated fat in your diet has a far greater effect on LDL cholesterol than the amount of cholesterol that you eat. The biochemical basis for this is now very well understood (genes that control manufacture of cholesterol in cells are switched on by proteins that respond to saturated fat).

The unimportance of egg consumption in coronary risk has been has been accepted for some time , but took a long time to be communicated by clinicians (I remember reading in a textbook for clinicians published around 1989 that although it is known that eggs are not a serious risk factor, patients find it difficult to understand if you don't recommend them to cut down high cholesterol foods, so might as well go on doing it!)

Here are two reviews in good journals, written nearly a decade apart and giving the same message:

2004 Journal of Am College of Nutrition. 2004 Dec;23(6 Suppl):596S-600S. A review of scientific research and recommendations regarding eggs. Kritchevsky, B.

For much of the past 40 years, the public has been warned away from eggs because of a concern over coronary heart disease risk. This concern is based on three observations: 1. eggs are a rich source of dietary cholesterol; 2. when fed experimentally, dietarycholesterol increases serum cholesterol and; 3. high serum cholesterol predicts the onset of coronary heart disease. However, data from free-living populations show that egg consumption is not associated with higher cholesterol levels. Furthermore, as a whole, the epidemiologic literature does not support the idea that egg consumption is a risk factor for coronary disease. Within the nutritional community there is a growing appreciation that health derives from an overall pattern of diet rather than from the avoidance of particular foods, and there has been a shift in the tone in recent dietary recommendations away from "avoidance" messages to ones that promote healthy eating patterns. The most recent American Heart Association guidelines no longer include a recommendation to limit egg consumption, but recommend the adoption of eating practices associated with good health. Based on the epidemiologic evidence, there is no reason to think that such a healthy eating pattern could not include eggs.

2012 Advances in Nutrition vol. 3:711-717 . Exploring the Factors That Affect Blood Cholesterol and Heart Disease Risk: Is Dietary Cholesterol as Bad for You as History Leads Us to Believe? Mitchell M. Kanter et al.

In recent years, however, there have been a number of epidemiological studies that did not support a relationship between cholesterol intake and cardiovascular disease. Further, a number of recent clinical trials that looked at the effects of long-term egg consumption (as a vehicle for dietary cholesterol) reported no negative impact on various indices of cardiovascular health and disease. Coupled with data indicating that the impact of lowering dietary cholesterol intake on serum LDL levels is small compared with other dietary and lifestyle factors, there is a need to consider how otherwise healthy foods can be incorporated in the diet to meet current dietary cholesterol recommendations. Because eggs are a healthful food, it is particularly important that sensible strategies be recommended for inclusions of eggs in a healthy diet.
Edited by partington

I just don't see any reason in going overboard. I like eggs. Three a day? Why? That sounds boring to me. I already need to limit my calorie intake and one way I have of making that easier is to have lots of VARIETY in my diet. I still love and enjoy my food. That said, for me breakfast (which is egg time for so many) is one meal where I don't mind boring at all. I occasionally have eggs for breakfast but actually I enjoy them more as a part of other meals such as an eggs cooked into a soup, sliced hard boiled on a salad, a dinner omelette meal, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

I just don't see any reason in going overboard. I like eggs. Three a day? Why? That sounds boring to me. I already need to limit my calorie intake and one way I have of making that easier is to have lots of VARIETY in my diet. I still love and enjoy my food. That said, for me breakfast (which is egg time for so many) is one meal where I don't mind boring at all. I occasionally have eggs for breakfast but actually I enjoy them more as a part of other meals such as an eggs cooked into a soup, sliced hard boiled on a salad, a dinner omelette meal, etc.

You are thinking for your situation but there are people who need (or don't need but eat) 3000, 4000 or even 7000 calorie per day. If you make a lot sport, specially in cold climate. Or if you have to do heavy work you need lots of foods.

Also for people who want to build muscle eggs are an excellent source of protein.

I eat at least 2, often 4, sometimes 6 per day, and have done so for 10 years. I had my full health check 4 months ago and nothing was wrong. Doctor said I am physically fit (they didnt do a mental evaluation....). Cholesterol in particular was exactly where it ought to be.

incidentally, I do not eat meat or fish.

Edited by OxfordWill

(please no yada yada yakety-yak as far as "statins" are concerned or granma's secret to lower cholesterol by whistling "yankee doodle" at full moon 10 minutes past midnight Bangkok-Kuala Lumpur time zone).

At last an excuse to watch the great great man dancing in one of my favourite clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fktxkO37zNM

....you can even dance it coming down the stairs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlvB4xk4LNQ