Aussie helps disabled Phuket cigarette vendor get a leg to stand on

webfact

Interesting comment on the care and compassion rooted in the primitive belief that such handicaps are the result of ones previous incarnations and actions that the Thais show for their own handicapped people that

Well done Mr.Derek Clarkson.. It takes a foreigner yet again to act in a compassionate manner whilst the authorities ignore the plight of the disabled

and a special type of foreigner and Aussie.

• Like 2

I did not know about this foundation, but will inform the son of my wife, who is in desperate need of a prosthestic leg as well.

Sad state of affairs that a majority of Thais have no idea what could be available to them. All this can be changed if the schoolchildren were taught about the workings of their country. I have over 100 tv stations via satellite and was flipping through them when I come across a short doco on free service. Best of luck with the your own need.

• Like 1

I will say this as an amputee myself that the legs they provide are excellent. They however may not be the best solution to him. Many people cannot adapt to prostetic legs satsfactorily and this may have been what he has been told. I cannot use a prostetic myself because of other health issues but I would say based on my experieces as a patient in a year of amputee training classes in australia that over 50 % of people do not get too a stage they can use them regularly. Of course if you are young and fit as many soldiers are that recieve them the prospects are better.

I will say this as an amputee myself that the legs they provide are excellent. They however may not be the best solution to him. Many people cannot adapt to prostetic legs satsfactorily and this may have been what he has been told. I cannot use a prostetic myself because of other health issues but I would say based on my experieces as a patient in a year of amputee training classes in australia that over 50 % of people do not get too a stage they can use them regularly. Of course if you are young and fit as many soldiers are that recieve them the prospects are better.

He already has a prosthetic leg, but that is getting really old and is too worn to be used, it hurts too much now. So he needs a new one, and this may be a solution for him.

Interesting comment on the care and compassion rooted in the primitive belief that such handicaps are the result of ones previous incarnations and actions that the Thais show for their own handicapped people that

Well done Mr.Derek Clarkson.. It takes a foreigner yet again to act in a compassionate manner whilst the authorities ignore the plight of the disabled

. . . .. interesting comment, and she fits right in with your folk lore there . . .

I did not know about this foundation, but will inform the son of my wife, who is in desperate need of a prosthestic leg as well.

If you need some information about it..it is on the road to Mae Rim. They actually send people out and do things in groups. PM me if you need too know a bit more and I can give you my phone number,

Even when someone does something nice, some Thai Visa poster has to make sure to turn it into a cause for bashing Thailand. Only farang are compassionate (yet again) and Thais are primitive and indifferent to the disabled. Give it a rest.

• Like 2

If you need some information about it..it is on the road to Mae Rim. They actually send people out and do things in groups. PM me if you need too know a bit more and I can give you my phone number,
Thanks. I'll give him the phonenumber and will take it from there. I try to facilitate but not interfere.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Even when someone does something nice, some Thai Visa poster has to make sure to turn it into a cause for bashing Thailand. Only farang are compassionate (yet again) and Thais are primitive and indifferent to the disabled. Give it a rest.

I for one don't see what was wrote as Thai bashing, I see it as it is, it took the help of a foreigner to bring her plight to the attention of the press..

You might think of it as Thai bashing, and I'm sure you'll continue to play the role of the Thai apologist, feel free but it won't change the fact that the Aussie gave a shi*, whilst it seems to me that Thai people must have known about the problem the woman faced but nothing was done until the Aussie Mr Clarkson decided to help in any way he could...

And one more thing, YES IMO after seeing disabled people in Thailand used as beggars and having seen first hand money being taken from them by fully able bodied people IMO I do think that some Thais are PRIMITIVE and indifferent to the disabled and use them for their own means...

Maybe you need to give it a rest and open your eyes...wink.png

HTH..

Edited by MB1
  • Like 1

I for one don't see what was wrote as Thai bashing, I see it as it is, it took the help of a foreigner to bring her plight to the attention of the press..

You might think of it as Thai bashing, and I'm sure you'll continue to play the role of the Thai apologist, feel free but it won't change the fact that the Aussie gave a shi*, whilst it seems to me that Thai people must have known about the problem the woman faced but nothing was done until the Aussie Mr Clarkson decided to help in any way he could...

And one more thing, YES IMO after seeing disabled people in Thailand used as beggars and having seen first hand money being taken from them by fully able bodied people IMO I do think that some Thais are PRIMITIVE and indifferent to the disabled and use them for their own means...

HTH..

That is not the point.

In every news item a negative can be found, which some people seem to be looking for. Just accept it, and look at a story like this as a general feel good story in stead of looking for where people, preferably thai but also foreign crmininals are easy targets, failed.

HTH..

That is not the point.

In every news item a negative can be found, which some people seem to be looking for. Just accept it, and look at a story like this as a general feel good story in stead of looking for where people, preferably thai but also foreign crmininals are easy targets, failed.

Yes negatives can be found, but finding a negagative in a story IMO aint Thai bashing, it's seeing it how it is and making that point, just as a poster did but was accused of Thai bashing, whilst the OP was a story of kindness provided by an Australian it opens up debate on certain things and in this instance about how Thais treat the disabled and how they look at them and perceive them....Problem is that on Thai visa you will always have the Thai apologist brigade who jump upon anyone who dares to give their point of view that may see the Thai's in bad light...

Well heres a point of mine, the woman received a PLASTER leg in 1999, only now in 2014 is she going to get more help and maybe receive a new limb nearly 15 years later at 33 years of age so it's pretty obvious that the woman in question has had problems for many years yet it took a foreigner to bring her plight to the attention of the press and only now is she going to receive the help she needs for her leg..

When it comes to the disabled I see some Thai's in a bad light so anyone who wants to chastise me feel free, It IMO aint Thai bashing, it's seeing it how it is...So fire away...

• Like 2

HTH..

I try to take my personal inventory often. "Bashing" and "Apologists" don't equate to compassion and tolerance in my opinion.

Yes negatives can be found, but finding a negagative in a story IMO aint Thai bashing, it's seeing it how it is and making that point, just as a poster did but was accused of Thai bashing, whilst the OP was a story of kindness provided by an Australian it opens up debate on certain things and in this instance about how Thais treat the disabled and how they look at them and perceive them....Problem is that on Thai visa you will always have the Thai apologist brigade who jump upon anyone who dares to give their point of view that may see the Thai's in bad light...

Well heres a point of mine, the woman received a PLASTER leg in 1999, only now in 2014 is she going to get more help and maybe receive a new limb nearly 15 years later at 33 years of age so it's pretty obvious that the woman in question has had problems for many years yet it took a foreigner to bring her plight to the attention of the press and only now is she going to receive the help she needs for her leg..

When it comes to the disabled I see some Thai's in a bad light so anyone who wants to chastise me feel free, It IMO aint Thai bashing, it's seeing it how it is...So fire away...

You clearly did not get the point.

• Like 1

By no means do I want the spotlight for what this man has done however I too have assisted a Thai National in getting a prosthetic leg FREE OF CHARGE.

I truly can't believe that the resources are there but Thai people don't know how to find services to assist them.

The foundation I found was in Chaing Mai and is run by the Royal Family. This foundation will provide ANYONE in need of a prosthetic FREE OF CHARGE regardless of being Thai or not. It took all a matter of 8 hours and my friend left with a prosthetic leg FREE and also crutches too. He had been an amputee since the age of 12. This foundation has been in existance over 10 years yet it wasn't until I decided to do some research and make it happen. I can understand many poor Thai don't have the resources to fly to Chaing Mai and stay overnight but my friend could have had a leg a decade ago.

Services are available, sometimes Thais need a little help in finding them...

http://www.prosthesesfoundation.or.th/eng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemid=100

post-185298-0-86637000-1393438250_thumb.

post-185298-0-55566200-1393438264_thumb.

post-185298-0-95155600-1393438278_thumb.

Hats off to you ''Mr Clarkson'' a true gent, with a big heart..

Great start to my day, to see there is compasionate people out there..

I am sure its made a big difference to the Lady's life..

Well done...

Just a ''Thank You'' to everyone who ''Liked my Comment''...

But it was true, it was a great start to my day, i always say, there is nice people out there..

Its just finding them...

Once again, this chap is a ''Saint''... we can all learn something from him, for sure..

Cheers

I agree and congratulations to Mr Clarkson. On reflection I sometimes wonder if Thais generally misinterpret kindness as a weakness which would account for their apparent lack of compassion. The same exists in Western countries but I would suggest for more reprehensible reasons such saving money etc

Yes...Give a rest..because took a monk and local donations to creates in Lampang a very famous free retreat and rehabilitation center for handicapped people, welcoming people all around the world. It is also a free meditation center and a chiropractic school. Only in Thailand.