Things I've done as a tourist, that I would never do now...

Lucifer

- Shop at Pantip for computers and accessories.

- buy a sim card at a non-authorized retailer (mom/pop shop)

- Use ATMs, when you can use AEON ATMs without the 150 baht fee** In some cases, you can also go inside a bank branch and do a counter withdraw (counter cash advance).

To be fair, I'll probably visit Pantip again sometime, but only if I am in the area. FortuneTown IT Mall is much cleaner and less likely to be cheated or have to have guard up as a foreigner.

** As of Feb 2014, Aeon now enforces the 150 baht atm fee on their atms. Counter withdrawals are hit/miss, even if they have the machine.

I prefer the chaos of Pantip because I just know that, whatever I am looking for, it will be in there somewhere if only I can dig deep enough.

At Fortune I can walk in, scan the shelves in 5 seconds and know that they do not sell what I want - takes away all the thrill of the hunt.

• Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I feel like I have definitely seen this exact same letter somewhere because it mentioned sick buffalo and the resulting "papa broken leg"

https://www.facebook.com/Thairecht/posts/482572281783386

posted in bars all over the Kingdom

t-shirts too

letter_t-shirt.jpg

Yep, literally hundreds of variations of the same letter. I posted that version as it covers many points of 'financial aid' that a lot of the long-term ex-pats may have forgotten from days of old.

Memories can be conveniently remembered or forgotten..................thumbsup.gif

Posted in the name of fun.

Read and understand letters of passion from the person you last had a long meaningful overnight relationship with before fulfilling requests............whistling.gif

Dear Tilac,

I love and miss you so much. Now I have big pomprem. I tell you before that my buffalo me sick. Now it die. Fall down dead in middle of rice field. but, when it fall, it land on Papa and break him leg in three places. Now he not work.

Brother me make stretcher from bamboo he take from loof of house. Now roof collapse and rain get in house. Brother she take Papa to hospital on motocycle. She have accident coming home. Run into police car. Brother me to blame. Police say we have to pay big money.

Motocycle OK. Police car no good. Now give Mama have heart pomprem. Doctor say she need triple bypass. I not understand what is, he say you know. If you not help me I have to go with many, many farang to pay bill. The old people in my village in Roi-et say it all your fault. If you give me money to buy medicine for sick buffalo when I ask you, then it not die, Papa not break leg, house still have loof, brother not ride into police car and Mama not have heart pomprem.

Please send for me 200,000 baht for my bank.

Papa fix: 10,000,

new loof:30,000,

New police car 100,000:

Mama fix:50,000.

I take off 2,000 bht for sell buffalo meat, but have to pay more hospital bill for 24 people have pomprem eat no good meat - 12,000bht.

I not know money England but my friend me say it about 54.4564 baht to GBP.

This mean you send me 7,419.1227 English money. Big money for me, little money for you.

I love you too much long time. Tikka

tongue.png

I believe this to be false. Not one word of of a sick Buffalo.

You might want to re-read it, the entire focal point is a SICK BUFFALO.

Hilarious, good consistency, spelling or close pronunciation of...good job with the Asian-bonics script, though very 60s-70s Western TV Chinese.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

whistling.gif Well I first came to Thailand in 1977 as a "newbie" tourist at age 31 just off the plane.

Come back every year at least twice for all those intervening years.

The list of things I've "done" that I shouldn't have "done" is to long to publish here anyhow.

I admit to making a LOT of mistakes in that time, but I learned from them.

But, at age 67 (68 soon) I can say it was all a good ride and even my "mistakes" are not really regretted.

If it doesn't kill you, it just makes you stronger.

You're very lucky to have visited here back than when Thailand was still Thailand, rather than like now....Western-land with all the corruption, crime, commercialization and culture altering influences that came with it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Listened and sang along to the ''BAY CITY ROLLERS''....

We done that in school when I was a young lad,,, we dressed up as BCR and danced and sang on stage in a school concert.

the least said about that event the better smile.png

I sang and played " All of me loves all of you" only last weekend... Ohhh the shame of it all rolleyes.gif

Read and understand letters of passion from the person you last had a long meaningful overnight relationship with before fulfilling requests............whistling.gif

Dear Tilac,

I love and miss you so much. Now I have big pomprem. I tell you before that my buffalo me sick. Now it die. Fall down dead in middle of rice field. but, when it fall, it land on Papa and break him leg in three places. Now he not work.

Brother me make stretcher from bamboo he take from loof of house. Now roof collapse and rain get in house. Brother she take Papa to hospital on motocycle. She have accident coming home. Run into police car. Brother me to blame. Police say we have to pay big money.

Motocycle OK. Police car no good. Now give Mama have heart pomprem. Doctor say she need triple bypass. I not understand what is, he say you know. If you not help me I have to go with many, many farang to pay bill. The old people in my village in Roi-et say it all your fault. If you give me money to buy medicine for sick buffalo when I ask you, then it not die, Papa not break leg, house still have loof, brother not ride into police car and Mama not have heart pomprem.

New police car 100,000:

I take off 2,000 bht for sell buffalo meat, but have to pay more hospital bill for 24 people have pomprem eat no good meat - 12,000bht.

This mean you send me 7,419.1227 English money. Big money for me, little money for you.

tongue.png

This is the post of the year!

Made me LOL cheesy.gif

congratulation

SO :

- don't visit wat

- not got in tuk-tuk

- don't go phuket

- don't visit Isaan family

- don't keep the traffic rules (sadly)

- don't think markets are cheaper than lotus

- don't go nana

- don't think I'm important

BUT still:

- wai for people

- give tip

- and feel my-self well here.

Buy a bar-girl gold (yes I did, many years ago).

I appreciate an honest man ... thumbsup.gif

I once 'lent' Bt 3,000 for School Fees ... still whistling Dixie.

Lesson Lerrnt though.

You are a lucky pal, David – many have ‘lent’ a lot more than 3k... whistling.gif

• Like 1

Buy a bar-girl gold (yes I did, many years ago).

Have to admit that I did that too many moons ago. Rin had her Buddha in her Bra and I really thought three baht of gold would help her a lot.to wear it around he neck.

Plus some golden earrings.

And it did help me to learn through making mistakes.

Sick-buffalo-letters

Long time ago we had an intern working in my company. He told me when his time is up here, he will go to Pattaya and offer there a translation service for the bar boys and girls. (Letters & emails)

Seems there is a real business opportunity.

Edited by khrab

I have a good friend in Pattaya, a real language whiz. Back in the 80's when people still sent letters he made a good living translating the girls' letterers from Thai to four other languages. A lady'd come in with the appropriate letter from her file and five names and addresses, pick them up the next day, B100 per. That was ten bowls of noodles then. His wife was a gambler. He would go to Europe every August. When he returned he would have to go around to the pawn shops and collect his guitars, power tools, etc. He considered it a cost of doing business in Thailand.

As for me? I made all the usual small mistakes and one very large one. Fortunately for me she was permanently deported from the US (very hard to do) for drunken lunacy. Good thing I had bought her a house, she had some funds to fall back on.

Now I'm happily married, and yes, she also has a very nice house. We'll see how that works out.

"I'm never getting married again, I'll just find a woman I can't stand and buy her a house." Robin Williams

I have a good friend in Pattaya, a real language whiz. Back in the 80's when people still sent letters he made a good living translating the girls' letterers from Thai to four other languages. A lady'd come in with the appropriate letter from her file and five names and addresses, pick them up the next day, B100 per. That was ten bowls of noodles then. His wife was a gambler. He would go to Europe every August. When he returned he would have to go around to the pawn shops and collect his guitars, power tools, etc. He considered it a cost of doing business in Thailand.

As for me? I made all the usual small mistakes and one very large one. Fortunately for me she was permanently deported from the US (very hard to do) for drunken lunacy. Good thing I had bought her a house, she had some funds to fall back on.

Now I'm happily married, and yes, she also has a very nice house. We'll see how that works out.

"I'm never getting married again, I'll just find a woman I can't stand and buy her a house." Robin Williams

Man, you are a notorius house buyer. A bit expensive passion, but it's well konwn everyone have to pay for illusions.

Dear Tilac,

New police car 100,000:

tongue.png

Great post, gave me a good laugh :)

Many years ago, first time in Pattaya, hot day, lunchtime. With my wife walk into a bar on 2nd road. Fortunately it wasn't busy. I see the bell over the bar, and before she could stop me, I ring it and ask my wife - what's this for ? - a few happy customers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Listened and sang along to the ''BAY CITY ROLLERS''....

Listened to and sang along to "ELVIS PRESLEY".

That's more like it, just real talent and singing ability Hmm Hmm Hmm, Hmm Hmm, Yeah yeah yeah, I'm all shook up.

Many years ago, first time in Pattaya, hot day, lunchtime. With my wife walk into a bar on 2nd road. Fortunately it wasn't busy. I see the bell over the bar, and before she could stop me, I ring it and ask my wife - what's this for ? - a few happy customers.

Did you find out what it was for?