Honda Wave breaking my back, need alternative.

AllanB

Allan,

Sitting upright with a straight bike on a bike is the general cause of back pain because of the vertical load on the spine. It is quite common for riders of "large cruisers" . Leaning forward on a sport bike with a slight curve of the spine is , counter intuitively, for the back a much better position as the spine can flex and absorb any shock.

But you know your body better than we so if feels more comfortable.

Sorry about the arthritis is that something Glucosamine Sulphate would help?

I can absolutely confirm this (after 40 years of motorbike experience). Always got backpain after using a touring bike; on a sportsbike never a problem.

I drove the big bikes in Europe, but here in BKK I use a Honda CBR150 (new type). With a little over 6 foot length, it gives me enough forward lean to avoid pain.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since you are considering a Chinese product, I would encourage you to look at a Keeway TX200. At 59000, It's a well made dual purpose bike with a three year warranty for way less than half what you would pay for a comparable Honda or Kawasaki. I bought mine last August and have no problems to speak of and like it very much. If there is a downside, it's no powerhouse and not much quicker than your Wave, but think a few minor mods can address that issue.

As an alternative, you could go to a shop that makes and covers motorbike seats. They can make a new saddle that fits you better for not much money. For 1000 baht a shop here in Pattaya turned my almost unrideable Nuovo into something I could go 20 or 30 km on and not need to see a chiropractor.

www.keewaymotor.com

Good luck

The Wave has the same rim as the Nano Spark by Yamaha. After ruining 4 rear rims on the Yamaha, I changed the tires to 2.50-17 front, and 2.75-17 rear (Michelin M45). I also bought an after market high quality progressive suspension by YSS, and changed the front fork oil to 15 SAE. It definitely improved the bikes rideability, and comfort. I would never go for a bike with a smaller rim, as small wheels can get very dangerous at potholes, especially at higher speeds.

Hey sounds like you have some idea of how suspension works. Can I ask you about the Nouvo sx 125, in so much that it feels quite "bouncy" and "squirrelish", especially with 2.

Fork oil change sounds like a cheap and easy mod, how about the shock, what benefit did that give you? Is it adjustable? The Nouvo has twin shocks, any recommendations?

Cheers.

• Like 1

The Wave has the same rim as the Nano Spark by Yamaha. After ruining 4 rear rims on the Yamaha, I changed the tires to 2.50-17 front, and 2.75-17 rear (Michelin M45). I also bought an after market high quality progressive suspension by YSS, and changed the front fork oil to 15 SAE. It definitely improved the bikes rideability, and comfort. I would never go for a bike with a smaller rim, as small wheels can get very dangerous at potholes, especially at higher speeds.

Hey sounds like you have some idea of how suspension works. Can I ask you about the Nouvo sx 125, in so much that it feels quite "bouncy" and "squirrelish", especially with 2.

Fork oil change sounds like a cheap and easy mod, how about the shock, what benefit did that give you? Is it adjustable? The Nouvo has twin shocks, any recommendations?

Cheers.

I have no idea about scooters and their rideability, except that they like to skid easily. You have to find out by yourself. But when you say "bouncy", that sounds like you do not have much travel within the suspension and/or the suspension/shocks are too soft, thus bottoming out with the load of two persons. As you know, sometimes the weight of two farangs equals the weight of four Thais!!

The suspension I bought, came with adjustable shocks (oil), and their work perfect with my weight of 13 stone using the upper most notch. The original shocks were sloppy, and the suspension springs way to soft. Now the suspension is somewhat stiffer, and works progressively. In combination with the big tires, there is more travel and the suspension is not bottoming out any more, which used to hurt my back, and the rear rim too.

Besides I should mention, that the original front fork oil was 10 weight, I believe the Wave has 20 weight originally. Also the bike can now be lifted on the main stand easily, just by stepping on the lever. You do not have to touch the bike at all. This is due to the bigger tires, which also provides the bike with a bit more ground clearance, which is another advantage, considering the fixed(!) mounting of the foot pegs. Now I do stress less 200+ km, normally from Hat Yai to Kantang and Pakmeng.

FWIW - I bought a platinum scooter in 2007 just after they were offered for sale in Pattaya at a silent auction for 12,000 baht. Rode it 5 years, it needed 1 battery.

Quality has improved since then too. For the price, if I was in the market, I would try one.

65k - can't go wrong.

The original dealer for Platinum in Pattaya donated a bike to aid a children's charity.

A silent auction is where you bid via slips of paper, writing down what you are willing to pay. The bids are read out, and after the final highest bid is displayed, there is a certain time limit where you can go and put in a higher offer.

High bid wins.

Please tell what is a silent auction ?? new one to me

I don't think there is anything I can do to the Wave (my wife's bike) to make it fit me and really I need my own wheels. I can't, or rather won't spend big bucks on a Honda or Kawasaki just to buzz around town. So that is why the 65k PX250 appeals, the crappy chrome doesn't bother me, there is a product called "black paint" which works much better that 19th century chrome plating and you don't gotta polish it.

I look okay on the PX250 and it feels as though it fits me too, the Wave feels and I am told looks too small. "Fat arse on a small saddle", i think the phrase was.

I was told the PX250 has a 3 year engine warranty, I know TIT, but they may pay out if it goes bang. Plus made, or assembled in Thailand may mean spares should be available.

I had a look at the Keeyways today and don't like the looks at all, whereas the PX250 could easily pass for a Honda or Kawasaki.

A decent Steed would set me back as much as a CRF250 and is way too big and clumsy for busy streets, my current NV400 is far better in that respect, but more a touring/cruiser.

I wasn't just sneaking in the Chinese bike issue again and judging by the response, maybe there are quite a few other guys out there who don't fit these Asian bikes and need something to get around town.

Guy in San Sai has a Platinum dual-purpose - can't recall the model.

The engine is a copy of the 185cc Honda. And Honda parts fit too, not just cosmetic but camshafts, rocker arms, valves, etc.

allan are you addicted to repair and work on bikes and check their stator readings all the time?

if yes, platinum xyz250 is your dose for the rest of your lifebiggrin.png

just dont so it to yourself man and get a 3-4 years japanese bike. be it honda cbr250 or kawa klx. they are as comfy as platinum as well.

c'mon!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

All I can say is I have tried out quite a few bikes, ridden a few too and only the PX250 fits both me and my wallet. I personally like the look and don't see an iffy bit of poor chrome as a major issue, so the only question is the build quality. There was a pristine CRF for sale that went for 100k, so I have not settled on anything yet.

I can't quite understand how padding a seat makes a bike frame bigger, the Wave frame is just too small and I cannot see how the bars can be raised, which would help, but only slightly.

I big guy on a small bike and that does not make me attractive to women, so I will leave the Wave to the wife.

I never was a fan of BMX bikes either.

To the OP, I have a eight year old Honda Wave 125, I am also 6ft tall, and it has never affected my back. I am now thinking about a Honda PCX150. I also have a customised Fino, and the seat causes me to keep slipping forward. It is now up for sale.

You may get the same issue with the PCX seat too,in that it causes you to slip forward.

Check it out before you buy one.

To the OP, I have a eight year old Honda Wave 125, I am also 6ft tall, and it has never affected my back. I am now thinking about a Honda PCX150. I also have a customised Fino, and the seat causes me to keep slipping forward. It is now up for sale.

You may get the same issue with the PCX seat too,in that it causes you to slip forward.

Check it out before you buy one.

I've already bought a PCX, it seems ok. Thanks for telling me.

You definitely be attractive to women on the PX250.

A friend of mine has one, and so many women approach him that it has become a nuisance, so watch out.

Really?

......Hang on a minute, how attractive is a man with a shagged back?

But when you think about it, want is it that women want the most?...gold....and one up from that is Platinum, so they would go wild too if I bought the PX250.

I am starting to get my head around this dilemma, I wish all problems were so easily solved.

Thanks

Well, took a trip to BigC this morning and had a long hard look at the PX250 and think that it has some way to go. A lot of slightly flimsy parts on the bike, many of them important. The front wheel should be stronger for one and that is the clincher for me.

On the way back I looked over a new Honda CRF, on offer at 138kbaht, so double the price, but more that double the bike, with everything as it should be. 3 year warranty too....

I month ago a local bike shop had an absolutely pristine CRF with lots of extras for 100kbaht, maybe 95k and at only 30% more that the PX250, it is a no brainer. So I will wait until after the summer and find a nice CRF.

Meanwhile I will get the NV400 fixed (he says with certainty) and use that around town. There is a slight comfort issue with that, but a simple foot controls relocation will solve that.

One problem with these Chinese products is what happened to Korean cars, the early ones were hideous and very badly built, but they were 30% less that a western car. Then they got better and the price went up and now they are almost as good as, say a VW, but cost the same and still look pretty ugly. So why would you buy one? and maybe we won't see as many of these bikes as we think, or maybe they will always be cheap and cheerful.

^

Now you discovered that the Platinum does not offer the quality of a CRF? Now suddenly its a "no brainer"? You are a real brainiac coffee1.gif

Double posting.......

Edited by AllanB

^

Now you discovered that the Platinum does not offer the quality of a CRF? Now suddenly its a "no brainer"? You are a real brainiac coffee1.gif

Very kind of you to say so.

"We all make mistakes" as the Darlek said as he climbed down off the dustbin.

^

I know what it was. You where dazzled by all that shiny chrome and paint!

Seriously, go have a look at the Shineray. The Suzuki/Yamaha shop in main street of Phi Chit sells em and I had a look. Not bad if you just want to putt putt around town or country. Maybe there's a dealer up your way???

post-63954-0-37406100-1394935456_thumb.j

Edited by BSJ

^

I know what it was. You where dazzled by all that shiny chrome and paint!

Seriously, go have a look at the Shineray. The Suzuki/Yamaha shop in main street of Phi Chit sells em and I had a look. Not bad if you just want to putt putt around town or country. Maybe there's a dealer up your way???

attachicon.gifCropperCapture64.jpg

That is an interesting update, I spoke to the Shineray importer a couple of months and he was discontinuing that part of his business an was selling off the one he had in stock for 30k. So either he has had a change of heart, or someone else has taken up the mantle.

Any idea of price and whether they have a green book?

You guys don't get it, I want a bike that fits me, the rest is down to economics. I don't want to ride a Wave sitting on a Whoopy cushion and I don't expect to ride this cheapo for the next 10 years, I will get bored with it long before that and move on. It is just a bit of fun too, doing a bit of dirt riding, but 138kbaht is too rich for a bit of fun at the moment, so looking at other possibles, while I save up. That's all.

If I wanted a pushbike I would be on another forum YSB!

Many replies from people who are - as they say 'stuck in a groove'. Ask any question, the answer is - "Buy a CRF/KLX/CBR ..."

Like other manufacturers don't exist.

If Platinum or Keeway appeal, go for it. Half the cost, so if you do not like it, half the loss.

Leave the Lemmings and their opinions to themselves - in their mind they are right and everyone else, no matter what their experience riding or with riding other brands, is wrong.

Go your own way.

FWIW - I bought a platinum scooter in 2007 just after they were offered for sale in Pattaya at a silent auction for 12,000 baht. Rode it 5 years, it needed 1 battery.

Quality has improved since then too. For the price, if I was in the market, I would try one.

65k - can't go wrong.

Oh yes, he can and he would if he spent 65 k on that bike.

A decent Phantom plus 15 k for repairs and maintenance in the bank would be a better option, JMHO. (The minute your hand over cash the bike will be worth only 45 k, JMHO).