Foreign groups cool as loan bill derails

webfact

"Thai property developers, meanwhile, say the court's verdict will force them to revamp some of their plans."

Which reminds me that we never really got a good explanation on the business discussion in the Four Seasons, now did we ?

This is going to have a massive impact in the big cities in isaan. Where in was, I know the investment centred around this.train system. Hotels, condos even a 4000 rai industrial estate was started. Singha even built a golf course because they knew the plan was to put in this rail expansion.

A high-speed train will stop in as less cities as possible. Furthermore there are not too many 'big' cities in Isaan where the train would pass.

Now if the major part of the 2.2 trillion Baht bill was on speeding up double tracking from completion in 2017-2022 to much earlier than those 'wishful thinking' investments would make sense. Now I have serious doubts.

Well you say that. After Chiangmai, which big cities are there in Thailand?

Korat, Khon Kaen, Udon, all are resonably sized cities that were on the plan as far as I saw. The plans that I saw in the Chamber of Commerce in one of these was that there was supposed to be a 4000 rai industrial park, with container shipping for produce from and into China. Along side this, eventually, there would be the high speed stuff. So the agribusiness crops from the area, of which there are boat loads in paper, rice, sugar and the rest, would use this line to get stuiff to the port, the Chinese would use it to bring stuff in and out, and the industrial estate would use it to distribute. Add in the road expansion, and this once sleepy little place was also going become the distribution hub for Thailand for stuff into Cambodia and Laos.

Singha came years ago, but their place was to be right next to the industrial park, hence why they built the supposedly whit elephant golf course (these people aren't stupid are they), the industrial estate was to have light to medium industry and provide 10k jobs apparently. International school, new hospital and another 5 star hotel are in these plans. Condos, shoipping centres, hotels have all gone up in the last 5 years because these people were all tipped the nod that this was going to happen. What a pleasure if eventually it had meant yuou could maybe get to Bangkok in 3-4 hours by train. The planes are a horrible expense and driving is like taking your life your own hands. It would have been a MASSIVE boost for business in Isaan.

I am sad for you that these plans may not come to fruition.

However you may have missed the fact that Thailand is NOT only Issan and Bangkok.

Where I live in Khampaeng Phet province for example there is NO railway line at all and If I want to go somewhere by train the nearest station is 125 km away from me at Nakhon Sawan and the alternatives are Phichit 170 km and Phisanulok 180 km away.

The biggest problem I have with ALL the Red Shirt followers is that they believe that Issan is the most important area in Thailand and that nowhere else exists.

Go to Google and look up the State Railway of Thailand to see what area of the country is covered by the network.

250px-Thailand_rail_map.gif

What are u going on about.

My original point was how a lot of money had been already spent by the private sector. You are aware that bangkok already recieves 14* more public cash per head than the rest of the country.

The provinces do need rail investment, its just or which type. Bangkok has the sky train and the underground. Any more train systems u need?

Who knows , if they improved the provinces maybe half the bangkok population might go home so bangkok could become like a normal city again.

But Bangkok has the largest population in Thailand and I suspect generates far more than 14% public cash than the rest of the country too.

The problem is that there just isn't enough BTS or subway coverage yet but it IS coming along. Perhaps the SRT needs more feeder lines connecting with the main lines and covering more of the country. It won't happen as there is more work in the city than the countryside.

14 TIMES not 14%

Not necessarily.

It just means that they'll have to find another way to fund it OR try to borrow 2 trillion again but this time do it properly, without trying to blatantly hide it from the prying eyes of government auditing processes.... because, you know, that's like, illegal or unconstitutional or something.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

Not necessarily.

It just means that they'll have to find another way to fund it OR try to borrow 2 trillion again but this time do it properly, without trying to blatantly hide it from the prying eyes of government auditing processes.... because, you know, that's like, illegal or unconstitutional or something.

Well, minimum that pushes it probably at least a couple of years further down the line. I wonder how much the double tracking was going to cost versus the high speed stuff out of this 2.2tn....