Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

wilcopops, on 31 Mar 2014 - 23:18, said:wilcopops, on 31 Mar 2014 - 23:18, said:wilcopops, on 31 Mar 2014 - 23:18, said:
Kan Win, on 31 Mar 2014 - 20:34, said:Kan Win, on 31 Mar 2014 - 20:34, said:Kan Win, on 31 Mar 2014 - 20:34, said:

ohh my, ohh my dear,

I watch it, as I do enjoy seeing Top Gear, over here in Thailand

However the final punch in the face was..............????? Fan-<deleted>-tastic.

The wrong river (Not Buffalo), named KOK (cock) that they build it on and Not that river named Kwai (Buffalo),

Kwai ? btw where is that rivercoffee1.gif

So all in all "Me Hats" are off for Jeremy Clarkson thumbsup.gif

A bridge too far I think for him and BBC, as it would or could be "Mission Impossible" to build a bridge over a Thai Buffalo river.w00t.gif

There is no such River in Kanchanaburi named Kwai

It was and always has been the Khwae Noi and Yai after the two dams were build (Please prove me wrong) whistling.gif

Before that Meklong? I think?blink.png

Win w00t.gif

That depends on which alphabet you choose to use to write Thai in Western script. What you appear to be doing is query the mis- pronunciation which was ​started by Henri Boiulle and his publishers.

The TG bridge was over a river near Chiang Rai called "Kok" (more peals of laughter from juvenile BBC presenters).

Again it may be "GoG' as their is no h after the k which is the JAPANESE way of writing Thai in western script.

The river in Kanchanaburi was re-named after the event in order to cash in on tourism

Thank you very much for your post.

However it does leave me with a question?

I know "Bang Na", but where has the (now famous Kok or GoG) come from?

Was it from our capital city Bangkok?

QuoteQuoteQuote

The river in Kanchanaburi was re-named after the event in order to cash in on tourism

Only for none Thai tourists as the Thais call this river

original.jpg

In addition me spelling as wrong in my post. I should have been "Maeklong" (canal mother) I think ? Please correct me if I am wrong. blink.png

Thanking you all for read. thumbsup.gif

Win wai.gif

Edited by Kan Win

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the start of each TOP GEAR program comes the following message :

= This program contains language that some may find offensive.

Parental guidance is advised =

Seems some didn't get that message.

Yermanee wai.gif

Yeap and it seems some of TV finest didnt ask their mummy's and daddy's if could they watch this TG episode and now they are all offended...

Bearing in mind the history of England I doubt such a person exists. I've seen some close calls in Norfolk but they could neither confirm nor deny it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

How about Baldrick ?....his mother was English and his father a turnip...

I watched this programe last night (1/4 /14 ) and IMHO Clarkson was refering to the angle of the bridge to which Hamond aggreed, these guys had just finished 15 days hard graft to complete the bridge, hence ( this is a proud moment, but its got a slope on it ) HOW anyone could associate this as a racial slur is beyond me, if you do , i think you should, get out more & &lt;deleted&gt; get a life, by the way i am NOT a Clarkson fan coffee1.gif

I watched this programe last night (1/4 /14 ) and IMHO Clarkson was refering to the angle of the bridge to which Hamond aggreed, these guys had just finished 15 days hard graft to complete the bridge, hence ( this is a proud moment, but its got a slope on it ) HOW anyone could associate this as a racial slur is beyond me, if you do , i think you should, get out more & <deleted> get a life, by the way i am NOT a Clarkson fan coffee1.gif

I think you are another candidate for the Cadbury's flake advert!

35 pages over nothing. I understand what JC was doing and I can see how he can justify his reference to the rhs of the bridge being higher than the left hand side. Also I understand that the more sensistive amongst us could latch on to the Thai walking across the bridge and equate the derogatory name for a vietnamese person as a racial slur, but really? Has it come to this?

In a sue happy country there will always be a money grabbing toerag who will try it on.

Ask yourself though; if you see something odd and say, "thats queer" whilst a man (who may or may not be gay walks past) is that a derogatory remark? And god forbid you ask a man with a big nose at a bus stop," What times the next bus due". Yes there is a stereotype cunningly hidden there but I am allowed to being one of the Tribe.

Grow up world.

Edited by Sigurris

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

Likewise. Worked and lived with Asians for over 20 years, from 10 Asian countries. Never heard it. Must be some sinister British inside joke.

I saw the show and genuinely thought that they are referring to the bridge being lop-sided. the "joke" went over my head......

If however it was meant a a racist joke it was in extremely poor taste and Clarkson deserve to be vilified for it.

there were several childish remarks made throughout the film - the reference to "fack" being Thai for marrow, the oblique =references to opium and quite frankly the concept of building a bridge over the mispronounced river "kwai" is pretty poor taste as well.

Clarkson and co did this trip with a massive entourage.....crew, logistics etc....and of course RESEARCHERS and SCRIPTWRITERS - yet they seem to have approached both countries with less prior knowledge tun the average 2 week holidaymaker.

They were not mispronouncing the River Kwai, they were actually building a bridge over River Kok in Chiang Rai I think. Great fun!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Being an Asian American I can tell you that the term "slope" is extremely derogatory. It is the equivalent of "slant" and refers to the supposed angle of an Asian person's eyes. "Chink" and "Chinaman" are bad ones but I get more of a visceral feeling hearing this one. It is never used in a neutral manner and is always used in the negative. For those white people who have never heard this term it is because no one has ever used it with you out of a hatred for your race. I am guessing but I believe that Clarkson was not aware of how strong this racist word is. So I will forgive him for this. But it is no joke. Try it on me and I will verify that.

Clarkson was FULLY aware of the term and it's usage - anyone who thinks otherwise has no idea of how a TV show is made or of Clarkson's history as a journalist and wordsmith.

I saw the show and genuinely thought that they are referring to the bridge being lop-sided. the "joke" went over my head......

If however it was meant a a racist joke it was in extremely poor taste and Clarkson deserve to be vilified for it.

there were several childish remarks made throughout the film - the reference to "fack" being Thai for marrow, the oblique =references to opium and quite frankly the concept of building a bridge over the mispronounced river "kwai" is pretty poor taste as well.

Clarkson and co did this trip with a massive entourage.....crew, logistics etc....and of course RESEARCHERS and SCRIPTWRITERS - yet they seem to have approached both countries with less prior knowledge tun the average 2 week holidaymaker.

They were not mispronouncing the River Kwai, they were actually building a bridge over River Kok in Chiang Rai I think. Great fun!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The word "Kwai" was mispronounced. They didn't actually go anywhere near that river though....as I pointed out ages ago it was the river Kok ("Gog"?) near Chiang Rai. It seems that even TG thought a parody on the death railway was a little insensitive.

I watched this programe last night (1/4 /14 ) and IMHO Clarkson was refering to the angle of the bridge to which Hamond aggreed, these guys had just finished 15 days hard graft to complete the bridge, hence ( this is a proud moment, but its got a slope on it ) HOW anyone could associate this as a racial slur is beyond me, if you do , i think you should, get out more & <deleted> get a life, by the way i am NOT a Clarkson fan coffee1.gif

It's a TV SHOW! It has a narrative, a script , an editor and a massive support crew. Do you SERIOUSLY think that comment was unintended? No-one in the media has suggested it was accidental.

• 2 weeks later...
In a statement, Wilman said: "When we used the word "slope" in the recent Top Gear Burma special it was a light-hearted wordplay joke referencing both the build quality of the bridge and the local Asian man who was crossing it.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/apr/23/top-gear-regrets-offensive-remark-jeremy-clarkson

So there you go, from the producer himself - it was intentional wordplay referencing the race of the man on the bridge.

Thanks for liking my post evadgib and Johnnie.

Unfortunately the left wing did not and it has been deemed unfit to be read in case it may influence your way of thinking...

Now what government first thought up that one....hmmmm?

Macmillan's comes readily to mind..

As Jeremy Clerkson in his mid 50's, worth millions, fronts the most exported TV show in the world of all time, been all over the world with his mates getting paid silly money to have a laugh and do whatever he wants - he just cannot be wrong, definitely NOT!

Some human beings are born racists, that is a fact.

coffee1.gif

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

"BTW 'slope' is not derogatory.." - it was a complement to the enemy?

Slope is a name for the hat, I think it was very very funny . I am fedup with the Robinsons Jam brigade. ( golly <deleted> )

This thread and the orther seem to have degenerated into a gainsaying match between thtose who understand racism and those who just can't get off the ground.

I feel frustrated but more so sorry for them as there is no hope for them; their condition is self-inflicted; they suffer the fear and paranoia of people who live in a world where they are completely out of step;. They are so out of touch, they are coming up with statements tat haven't held water for 50 years, my guess is they are probably either very old or uneducated or both.

Well there we go, I think you are a bit pissed up???? Leo I suspect being the cheaper option

It seems to be that very few have a bit of humur , all I can say is very very few have any Idea of what it realy means

any way swift and bold

Slope is a name for the hat, I think it was very very funny . I am fedup with the Robinsons Jam brigade. ( golly <deleted> )

This thread and the orther seem to have degenerated into a gainsaying match between thtose who understand racism and those who just can't get off the ground.

I feel frustrated but more so sorry for them as there is no hope for them; their condition is self-inflicted; they suffer the fear and paranoia of people who live in a world where they are completely out of step;. They are so out of touch, they are coming up with statements tat haven't held water for 50 years, my guess is they are probably either very old or uneducated or both.

Wow, you are completely patronising. I am subjected to (apparently) racist remarks daily, and do not care. Perhaps you should find a cause more worthy of your obvious intelligence and youthful outlook. Your kind of confrontational rationalism does more to harm any cause than help it.

Wow, you are completely patronising. I am subjected to (apparently) racist remarks daily, and do not care. Perhaps you should find a cause more worthy of your obvious intelligence and youthful outlook. Your kind of confrontational rationalism does more to harm any cause than help it.

As I have already said. Being introduced to Asia as a 20 year old,I was told it was ---------------- I was most disapionted to find that it had a slope.