Thailand weighs suit against Singaporean organizers of ‘SONGKRAN’

webfact

Speaking under condition of anonymity, a senior Thai official later stated: "If we lose our day in court, we'll be forced to retaliate in the way of pirating movies, selling fake designer clothing and accessories, and, oh wait, never mind -- this was off the record, right?"

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a fan of Songkran anyway, but at the rate the country is going there will probably be blood and bombs being thrown around instead of water. Singapore might be a safer alternative for a number of reasons.

The strict policing in Singapore will make it a "claytons' Songkran. And it would be 10 times more expensive for the average traveler.

Thailand shouldn't be worried too much. If they have a good product they will come. I don't see the Chinese kicking up a fuse about Thailand having large Chinese New Year festivals . rolleyes.gif

No u dont. Why?, because the Chinese actually have something to be proud of, and are slowly but surely developing the country forward.

Which is completely in opposition to thailand, who have little identity, other than what Bangkok has driven onto everyone, and an international image that extends barely beyond "hey GI, love u long time".

All very tragic really. What an image.

O.K ! facepalm.gif Good to know with all that said, you are still "Thai at Heart".

About time the US starts getting cash from countries who take our Halloween celebration and distorting the true cultural significance of it.

biggrin.png

Lets party!

And then Scotland can sue the US for stealing the name "Halloween" and then various "celtic" countries can sue for actually stealing the festival itself....

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

"However the director of Culture Surveillance Bureau says it is not right for Singapore to distort the tradition and host Songkran as a tourism gimmick, as it is about more than playing with water. The Songkran festival connects society and also involves an important display of appreciation toward elders, Yupa Taweewattana-boworn said."

Have they told TAT this?

Yet another ridiculous minister making ridiculous statements. I really hope they do try to sue, it will teach them a valuable lesson in what reality is.

Once upon a time it may have connected society and involved an important display of appreciation of elders. But now, it's little more than a drunken water fight.

• Like 1

Better be careful because perhaps somewhat more honest types might just contemplate taking court action regarding the Thai presumption that Buddhism was and is of a solely Thai origin.

Oh don't forget Christmas and those ''Jinger Bells too.cheesy.gif

I think you'll find Thais are way too clever to get caught like that.

Their version of Buddhism is barely recognisable. They've achieved this by largely doing away with the 5 precepts in favour of hanging around temples giving money to monks. I have lots of fun asking about the eating of meat and killing animals. There are endless excuses for not following that precept. The best told to me by a monk who I'm certain knew he was lying ( another precept) was that you need to kill animals because you have to eat meat and pork. Explains those Jews and Muslims doesn't it.

Christmas as we all know is a religious and retail festival that involves decorations and trees that are taken down before Epiphany (Jan 6th).

Although some seem to give up when Chinese new year arrives we still had 2 Christmas trees up at the beginning of March in one restaurant and they may still be up now.

So you see they change things so much that you can't claim they've copied it.

The strict policing in Singapore will make it a "claytons' Songkran. And it would be 10 times more expensive for the average traveler.

Thailand shouldn't be worried too much. If they have a good product they will come. I don't see the Chinese kicking up a fuse about Thailand having large Chinese New Year festivals . rolleyes.gif

No u dont. Why?, because the Chinese actually have something to be proud of, and are slowly but surely developing the country forward.

Which is completely in opposition to thailand, who have little identity, other than what Bangkok has driven onto everyone, and an international image that extends barely beyond "hey GI, love u long time".

O.K ! facepalm.gif Good to know with all that said, you are still "Thai at Heart".

Well, you see, I get quite envious to see the potential and real progress that other countries make, as opposed to Thailand that thinks it is already top of the pile, and doesn't need to work too stay there. Who the hell is Thailand to dictate to anyone?

The Singapore Songkran I am sure will not turn out to be a total drunken rabble and will be suitable for the children to come and participate in, last year in Bangkok on our Soi it all turned into a big drunken fist fight and we had to head home for our own safety.

Well, you see, I get quite envious to see the potential and real progress that other countries make, as opposed to Thailand that thinks it is already top of the pile, and doesn't need to work too stay there. Who the hell is Thailand to dictate to anyone?

I am with you on that one.thumbsup.gif

Better be careful because perhaps somewhat more honest types might just contemplate taking court action regarding the Thai presumption that Buddhism was and is of a solely Thai origin.

Their version of Buddhism is barely recognisable. They've achieved this by largely doing away with the 5 precepts in favour of hanging around temples giving money to monks. I have lots of fun asking about the eating of meat and killing animals. There are endless excuses for not following that precept. The best told to me by a monk who I'm certain knew he was lying ( another precept) was that you need to kill animals because you have to eat meat and pork. Explains those Jews and Muslims doesn't it.

Christmas as we all know is a religious and retail festival that involves decorations and trees that are taken down before Epiphany (Jan 6th).

Although some seem to give up when Chinese new year arrives we still had 2 Christmas trees up at the beginning of March in one restaurant and they may still be up now.

Re: Buddhism, vegetarianism....... there are different practices concerning the eating of meat; Thailand follows the Theravada view, which does not prohibit the eating of meat except dog, cat, bear, elephant, leopards, human, and a few other vague creatures...oh..slug too (would that include snails?)....... I love Wikipedia lol.... so be careful before lecturing the local monks on how to eat....... whistling.gif

What about Christmas day, New Year’s Day, Valentine’s Day and a host of other special holidays that is celebrated in Thailand, that’s ok for us to celebrate but not ok for you to celebrate our holidays. How pathetic can u get?

• Like 1

What about Christmas day, New Year’s Day, Valentine’s Day and a host of other special holidays that is celebrated in Thailand, that’s ok for us to celebrate but not ok for you to celebrate our holidays. How pathetic can u get?

That is the default MO of Thais. One way street. It's being put up with since foreigners can still come to Thailand to reap the benefits of cheap labor.

She added TAT is studying methods of registering trademarks for Thai traditions such as Songkran and Loy Krathong to prevent other countries in ASEAN from stealing them.

Evidently she forgot the tradition of stupidity.

• Like 1

Tourism officials are consulting with the government’s copyright office to determine whether to take legal action against the Singaporean organizers of next month’s “Celebrate Songkran” party.

And there was me thinking that April 1st was still 12 days away. facepalm.gif

Re: Buddhism, vegetarianism....... there are different practices concerning the eating of meat; Thailand follows the Theravada view, which does not prohibit the eating of meat except dog, cat, bear, elephant, leopards, human, and a few other vague creatures...oh..slug too (would that include snails?)....... I love Wikipedia lol.... so be careful before lecturing the local monks on how to eat....... whistling.gif

Well I've read this in 2 books on Theravada Buddhism and spoken to many Thais and your the first person who has contradicted that statement. The monk was grinning when he told me so I'm pretty sure he wasn't giving me the benefit of his knowledge on the subject. So you must know something they don't.

That's not even mentioning the many Thais I know who, if there's alcohol around always without fail get drunk to the point of barely being able to walk and then drive home. And of course getting back to the topic, Thais are renowned for their copyright and intellectual property rights theft.