Elton John to marry longtime partner

webfact

Elton John to marry longtime partner

WASHINGTON - Pop icon Elton John says he will tie the knot with partner David Furnish now that his native Britain has legalized gay marriage.

The top-selling artist told NBC’s "Today" show that "we’ll do it very quietly."

"But we will do it and it will be a joyous occasion," John added.

The couple, who have two children together, entered into a civil partnership in 2005.

A historic law legalizing same-sex marriage took effect in England and Wales on Saturday, the final stage in the long fight for legal equality for gays and lesbians.

Civil partnerships have been legal there since 2005.

"I’m very proud of Britain and the laws that we’ve seen come into existence since we’ve been together," John said in excerpts of the interview set to air Monday.

"For this legislation to come through is joyous, and we should celebrate it. We shouldn’t just say, ’Oh, well we have a civil partnership. We’re not going to bother to get married.’ We will get married."

Furnish told the Las Vegas Review-Journal in a separate interview that an intimate ceremony would take place in May.

"I think what we’ll do is go to a registry office in England in May, and take the boys with us, and a couple of witnesses," the publication quoted him as saying.

AFP

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-31

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is news? A couple of gay guys are getting married, wow stop the presses.

This is news because Elton John is not your ordinary gay guy.

If you do not know him, I'll understand your poor ignorance.wink.png

Indeed, I had the moving experience of being in London when THIS version of this song came out:

My understsnding is that he will need a divorce first. ! It is not yet possible to upgrade a Civil Partnership to a Marriage. They are still messing around with the legalities.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Whats the difference between ordinary and a not ordinary gay guy ?

My understsnding is that he will need a divorce first. ! It is not yet possible to upgrade a Civil Partnership to a Marriage. They are still messing around with the legalities.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think this is not true.

Whats the difference between ordinary and a not ordinary gay guy ?

Same as with anyone. Usually about fame, wealth, power, talent, or a combination.

An ordinary straight -- Joe Blow down at McDonalds.

A not ordinary straight -- Vladimir Putin.

Weird question though I wouldn't even expect from a five year old.

Why weird question ?. Who gives a shit who is who. In fact I read they have two children together, don't think so. Perhaps the wording is wrong.

Why weird question ?. Who gives a shit who is who. In fact I read they have two children together, don't think so. Perhaps the wording is wrong.

Well, I do for one.

If Joe Blow knocked on my condo door, I'd say, how's it hanging, Mr. Blow.

If I opened my door to old Vladamir, especially if he was shirtless, I would have a different reaction.

No, they have two children together as in they are both the legal PARENTS of the children. Neither has a vagina in case that's what you're asking. They were able to do this as civil union partners
  • Like 1

With temperatures rising,leading to a drought in England they are doing their bit.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-25793358‎

18 Jan 2014 - A UKIP councillor from Oxfordshire blames the recent storms and floods on the Government's decision to legalise gay marriage.

I trust you are doing your bit where legal.

With temperatures rising,leading to a drought in England they are doing their bit.

18 Jan 2014 - A UKIP councillor from Oxfordshire blames the recent storms and floods on the Government's decision to legalise gay marriage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There! I fixed it for you.

Well, I do for one.

If Joe Blow knocked on my condo door, I'd say, how's it hanging, Mr. Blow.

If I opened my door to old Vladamir, especially if he was shirtless, I would have a different reaction.

No, they have two children together as in they are both the legal PARENTS of the children. Neither has a vagina in case that's what you're asking. They were able to do this as civil union partners

They do not have children together, some other folk did. The wording is wrong.

These petty nitpicks are just mean spirited. Nobody is suggesting by that wording that they BIOLOGICALLY coupled to BIOLOGICALLY produce those two children. They obviously didn't do that.

In my condo, I HAVE a television. I did not give birth to it. You can infer that.

Edited by Jingthing

These petty nitpicks are just mean spirited. Nobody is suggesting by that wording that they BIOLOGICALLY coupled to BIOLOGICALLY produce those two children. They obviously didn't do that.

In my condo, I HAVE a television. I did not give birth to it. You can infer that.

Does the truth heart, what has a television got to do with anything.........facepalm.gif

The "couple" have adopted two kids, thats it, they did not have them together.

Why not sooner???? Furnish is Canadian and it's been legal since 2005 there. We were the fourth country to legalize same-sex marriage and actually, the first to accept one spouse not having to be from the legalizing country. So with John being British, they could have done it easily. No news here.

Why not sooner???? Furnish is Canadian and it's been legal since 2005 there. We were the fourth country to legalize same-sex marriage and actually, the first to accept one spouse not having to be from the legalizing country. So with John being British, they could have done it easily. No news here.

I guess you'd have to ask the happy couple!

It's a good question I suppose.

Only a guess, but Elton being British and the power half of the couple, perhaps preferred to keep everything English.

Also British civil unions before carried the same legal rights as marriage anyway, so there was no compelling legal reason for their FAMILY (with the two children that THEY HAVE TOGETHER) to go Canuck.

Cheers.

I agree Canada is to be congratulated for being early in this. As a southern neighbor, we look up to y'all. Literally.clap2.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

"The couple, who have two children together"

Is that not physically impossible?

You can have two children together without getting pregnant. They have adopted and are raising two children together.

Poor kids.

That's hilarious.

They may be a lot of things, but one thing they certainly are NOT is POOR. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Does the truth heart, what has a television got to do with anything.........facepalm.gif

The "couple" have adopted two kids, thats it, they did not have them together.

This little nitpick is important to you, I see. Strange.

So here goes ... for those who didn't know, news flash, it is now official, at this point in modern science, two biological males can't biologically produce a child together. The seed of one can be used with a female egg though, so potentially with a gay male couple with two kids, each could potentially have a direct biological connection to one each. Adoption (having children without direct biological connection) is a very common method used by all kinds of couples to start or grow families, mostly heterosexual.

Edited by Jingthing