Arrest warrant sought for redshirt leader 'Ko Tee'

webfact

LESE MAJESTY
Arrest warrant sought for redshirt leader

BANGKOK: -- Police will on Friday seek an arrest warrant from the court for a redshirt leader who is alleged to have insulted the monarchy in a interview with the foreign press, the government's Centre for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) said.

The video clips of the interview of Wutthipong Kotthammakun, also known as Ko Tee, with a foreign journalist, has gone viral. His comments are considered as insulting the monarchy.

CAPO said its examination of the clip found that Ko Tee’s interview may violate the lese majeste law or Article 112, as it is also known.

The caretaker premier is understood to have ordered police to take legal action against those involved in the video clip.

The centre also warned the public not to share or distribute the clips or they could be prosecuted under both the lese majeste and computer laws.

National Police Chief Gen Adul Sangsingkaew said that following the premier’s expression of concern, he promised to take urgent action.

Commenting on a report that Wutthipong had already fled to a neighbouring country, Adul said he had also ordered the immigration police to prevent him from leaving the country.

He had also discussed the issue with Army Chief Gen Prayuth Chanocha and informed him that police would be urgently gathering information and evidence for the arrest warrant issued.

The general said police placed importance on those offending the monarchy and would make every effort to bring them to justice.

He also referred to a man known as Tang Acheewaw who spoke on stage during a redshirt rally. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him, as his speeches were said to have insulted the monarchy.

Adul confirmed earlier reports that the suspect has already fled. "Police have contacted their counterparts in neighbouring countries in a bid to locate him.

Police have been criticised for being lenient with Tang, who has posted several photos on Facebook showing him boarding a plane, singing karaoke and dining with a girlfriend.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-10

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ko-Tee. Yet another fine example of a creature who leads from the back.

Indeed all mouth and trousers.

mouthtrousers.jpg

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

I saw the interview. It wasn't just lese majesty, what he said was sedition. I mean this government has brought up questionable charges for sedition on the PRDC for the slightest reason so let's see how 'fair' they treat this red shirt scum. Of course, he may not live to see trial. That's how bad it was.

Don't worry. Tharit and the DSI will be on the scene.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I saw the interview. It wasn't just lese majesty, what he said was sedition. I mean this government has brought up questionable charges for sedition on the PRDC for the slightest reason so let's see how 'fair' they treat this red shirt scum. Of course, he may not live to see trial. That's how bad it was.

Don't worry. Tharit and the DSI will be on the scene.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Warrent on Suthep already drop/expired.

than post # 6.

Why not today, perhaps his friends in government want to let him time to flee oversea.

Many a true word spoken in jest. Let's cast our minds back to the hasty departure of Jakrapob Penkair and of course Giles Ji Ungpakorn, both of who were founder members of the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship.

• Like 2

I saw the interview too, what a silly little fool he is, to quote his own words, 'I dare say this but nobody else does'.

Well why didn't he think first why they don't ?

He's finished now, even the red shirts will distance themselves from him.

A life in Cambodia or many years in a Thai jail.

I wonder if Thaksin will help him with funds.

Ummm yingluck ordered the arrest warrant according to the other paper.

Strange how when she does something positive she is called the caretaker premier.

Normally this paper screams Yingluck then the bias comes out.

More strange is that Ms. Yingluck has to do the ordering herself here. Normally the police would just ask the court for an arrest warrant or have the CAPO order them (i.e. the police) to get working on it.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Commenting on a report that Wutthipong had already fled to a neighbouring country, Adul said he had also ordered the immigration police to prevent him from leaving the country.

Adul, the horse has fled, it's too late to lock the barn. What kind of scatterbrained answer is that? "He's gone? we'll stop him at the border", In case he decides to come back, or what?

And there's another point, does anybody really think this guy will cross the border at a recognized passport check point?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I saw the interview too, what a silly little fool he is, to quote his own words, 'I dare say this but nobody else does'.
Well why didn't he think first why they don't ?
He's finished now, even the red shirts will distance themselves from him.
A life in Cambodia or many years in a Thai jail.
I wonder if Thaksin will help him with funds.

At least provide a second hand 29 inch TV.

Robert Amsterdam is being very quiet on thus one. I wonder why?

Surely after all his statements on the subject he must have something to say?

Or is Thaksin's dollar more powerful than RA's plastic heart?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ko Tee is a fool. Whether you agree with the 112 or not, it's still a law in Thailand.

And the words he chose during the interview indicate only 1 thing: 15 years in prison are awaiting for him.

Quite shocking to hear a Thai say something he did during an interview.

Ko Tee is finished and he might just drag the whole UDD clan with him.

• Like 1

Why do they need an arrest warrant for important people as it is always telegraphed giving them plenty of time to flee (just answered my own question). The police arrest people all the time without first obtaining an arrest warrant.

Why do they need an arrest warrant for important people as it is always telegraphed giving them plenty of time to flee (just answered my own question). The police arrest people all the time without first obtaining an arrest warrant.

Sorry, that simply doesn't apply to Thailand at all. The police announce that they want people for questioning and then wait for them to turn up at the police station.

I don't we've ever seen a case of them going out and apprehending anyone...!!

• Like 1

Robert Amsterdam is being very quiet on thus one. I wonder why?

Surely after all his statements on the subject he must have something to say?

Or is Thaksin's dollar more powerful than RA's plastic heart?

I think Fryslan Boppe (sorry, Robert) may be taking a day off, as he has had a bit of stick over his recent comments...!

Nothing undeserved

Sorry, that simply doesn't apply to Thailand at all. The police announce that they want people for questioning and then wait for them to turn up at the police station.

I don't we've ever seen a case of them going out and apprehending anyone...!!

What you are talking about are the high profile hi so situations. Police arrest the lower minions in the population all the time.

Royalists Suspect Thakin's Link To Canadian News Agency

By Khaosod English

13971254501397125578l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A group of royalist activists have urged the police to take legal action against a Redshirts leader for allegedly defaming the monarchy in an interview with Vice News.

The activists also demand that the authorities investigate any possible link between the Canada-based news agency and former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Mr. Wuttipong Kochthammakul, the leader of the "hardcore" Redshirts faction in Nonthaburi province, found himself in a hot water after the video of Vice News interview surfaced earlier this week and showed him talking about His Majesty the King in a negative way.

Cries for Mr. Wuttipong, who is also known by his nickname Ko Tee, to be prosecuted under the Thai lese majeste (insult of the monarchy) laws went up almost immediately from the ranks of anti-government critics, who have long viewed the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her allies as anti-monarchy republicans.

The government has attempted to distance itself from Ko Tee's remarks, while Ms. Yingluck herself reportedly instructed the police to investigate and prosecute the activist for his offensive remark.

Today a group of royalists under the name Citizens Volunteer For Defence Of Three Institutes Network met with police officers at Crime Suppression Division HQ in Bangkok to file charge of Article 112 of the Thai Criminal Code against Ko Tee. The group brought a DVD copy of the Vice News interview as evidence.

Their leader, Mr. Baworn Yasinthorn, told reporters that Mr. Wuttipong has clearly violated Article 112, which prohibits any remarks deemed offensive to the monarchy, in the interview, and that he could no longer stand idly by. "So, we are here to press charges," Mr. Baworn spoke of his supporters.

Furthermore, Mr. Baworn asked the police to investigate whether Vice News is related to Mr. Roberts Amsterdam, a Canada-born lawyer and lobbyist hired by the former Prime Minister, who is also facing a separate lese majeste charge filed by an anti-government activist on Monday.

A quick Wikipedia research by Khaosod correspondent fails to uncover any published evidence of the suspected connection.

Mr. Baworn also expressed his concern over Ko Tee's threat in the interview that his supporters have been hoarding weapons and training for combat for the event of a civil war.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1397125450&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-10

Democrats say a high-ranking police officer is shielding Ko Tee

ko-tee-11-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A police lieutenant general has been shielding Ko Tee from arrest, Democrat party’s chief legal team claimed Thursday.

Without naming name, Mr Wirat Kalayasiri said the police lieutenant general was not far away from where he was speaking and he was willing to give police the tip of where Ko Tee, or Wutthipong Kotthammakhun, had been hiding if the police had no idea where to look for him.

Wirat said that the police were able to arrest the “pop corn” gunman despite the fact that the suspect covered his face with a mask but were unable to arrest Tang Archiva, a vocational student wanted on lese majeste charge despite the fact that the suspect occasionally posted his images on the social media.

The Democrat suggested the national police chief, Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew, to take the police officer in question to task for protecting a criminal offender.

The Democrats on Thursday lodged a complaint with the Crime Suppression Division to arrest Ko Tee for allegedly defaming the Monarchy during his interview with a foreign media.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/democrats-say-high-ranking-police-officer-shielding-ko-tee/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-10