Jet Lag

meme

I think the site I saw was a university, giving a brief overview of the diet. The one you quoted looks like it was tailored to a person traveling FROM New York to somewhere else.

Also, I think the diet was written with a midwestern mindset, considering where the lab is located near Chicago. On the "fasting" days, you're supposed to eat lighter, e.g. salads and soups with more veggies and less protein and carbs. For a midwesterner, not having the equivalent of a deep-fried T-bone steak for breakfast IS fasting. :o

But I agree, anybody with blood sugar problems should probably consult a doctor before tinkering with their metabolism. Of course, the mere act of traveling 12 timezones in 12 hrs is already tinkering pretty heavily with their metabolism.

For BKK->US departing early AM, I have found that I usually do OK when I stay up late the night before packing my bags and finishing up work until about 2am, then get up around 4:30am to sluggishly get presentable, taxi to the airport, and check in by 6am or so. I try to drink lots of water and eat all the airplane food, and sleep as much as I can on the way to Tokyo. I avoid alchohol unless I've abandoned all hope of following my routine, due to sleep difficulties etc.

Departing Tokyo, I also try to nap as much as possible in the early part of the flight, but without missing the meals. I try not to sleep during the afternoon/evening time at destination. When I am really in control of my sleep, I try to have a "mini day" on the plane: board, eat, sleep, wake (mini day 1 on plane), sleep, wake to eat, land (mini day 2 at destination).

As the others say, getting lots of sunshine in the morning and evening at the destination helps finish the transition more quickly, as does having meals at the normal local time.