Domino’s Pizza Hits Thailand

Lite Beer

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't be hard to beat that mostly inedible garbage produced by Pizza Co.

Nitrite-stick crust & fake mayonnaise, then squeeze 12 packs of tomato ketchup on it and destroy. ;-)

W063.jpg

Can we have that photo removed? I have now lost my appetite for the next several days.

" As for the Specialty Pizza, it’s described as a pizza with a fried chicken crust. Consumers can par take in a variety of four flavors; Classic Hot Buffalo, Sweet BBQ Bacon, Crispy Bacon and Tomato with Spicy Jalapeno-Pineapple "

Theses are NOT pizza, those are sacrilege and abomination for all true pizza coinsures...

• Like 2

" As for the Specialty Pizza, it’s described as a pizza with a fried chicken crust. Consumers can par take in a variety of four flavors; Classic Hot Buffalo, Sweet BBQ Bacon, Crispy Bacon and Tomato with Spicy Jalapeno-Pineapple "

Theses are NOT pizza, those are sacrilege and abomination for all true pizza coinsures...

Maybe we should start calling it Abomino's

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 2

Good Pizza, a welcome entrant to the arena if you ask me.

And lets face it... At 4 in the morning you cant really pick a good pizza from a bad one, you just get to work out which one tastes best with alcohol come downs.

Dominos always got my vote on that one.

I'm going to make a guess that you are British and think an English breakfast is also great.

Now, now ... I'm British, and I can tell you, an English breakfast can be great...!! But then again, that goes for all meals doesn't it. It clearly depends on the quality of the ingredients used and how they are prepared..!

• Like 1

Yet another corporate advertorial... but onto pizzas.

In all my time in Thailand I have only had serious food poisoning once - from the sodding delivery pizza company! Never again.

Now in Bangkok, the only pizzas I ever order are from Scoozi - they are the only ones that come close to an Italian pizza. Unfortunately, the quality of the experience depends on how long the pizzas have been in transit. Bizarrely, one can't pick up one's own pizzas from a Scoozi restaurant to take home - you have to phone in an order and have it delivered. Dumb or what?! Delivery but no takeaway.

Domino's? Pseudo-pizza.

Also, many pizza 'manufacturers' have absolutely no idea of how to make one. Many toppings should be added at the end, after the pizza has cooked, not before.

If I had space for a 400 C oven I'd make them myself!

Edited by focus27

I think it would be hard to serve good pizza to the masses in Thailand because good cheese is so expensive.

I gave up trying to find real pizza in Thailand. It was also changed, perhaps to suit Thai tastes?

I find that a lot of Thais like some Western foods a lot and I don't think it's necessary to change the pizza recipes from what's served in the West to attract Thais. The question would be cost.

Absolutely spot on, I remember when I first arrived here I was shocked to see the price of Parmigiano Reggiano - probably the best fresh Parmesan for cooking with especially for on top of Lasagne (my mouth isa watering) but Big C wanted nearly 800thb for 250g of the stuff!!!

As you say the main problem for the local Pizzas would be that anybody trying to turn over a profit selling them, would be unable to make them with decent cheese. That plastic vacuum packed Aussie cheese is OK for doing a Macaroni Cheese, but just doesn't work on a pizza.

In all my time in Thailand I have only had serious food poisoning once - from the sodding delivery pizza company! Never again.

Now in Bangkok, the only pizzas I ever order are from Scoozi - they are the only ones that come close to an Italian pizza. Unfortunately, the quality of the experience depends on how long the pizzas have been in transit. Bizarrely, one can't pick up one's own pizzas from a Scoozi restaurant to take home - you have to phone in an order and have it delivered. Dumb or what?! Delivery but no takeaway.

Domino's? Pseudo-pizza.

Also, many pizza 'manufacturers' have absolutely no idea of how to make one. Many toppings should be added at the end, after the pizza has cooked, not before.

Nasty 'pizzas', shitty dough, terrible service, obviously overpriced & totally unhealthy

only ordered from them twice and both times it was cocked up, late and refused to admit lateness..

30 minutes or its free.... No misaterrrr, yor home not 30 minit na...

splattered my BBQ chicken 'pizza' with mayonaise despite being told 3 times im allergic to it.

absolute garbage - just like pizza hut pizza company AND scoozi!!

Rather make my own, at least i know it hasnt been made by some tobacco smoking imbecile and my crust is always awesome.

I use my gas BBQ to get the heat up to 500C and then turn it down and my fresh dough crust, home made sauce & real cheese etc is done in 4-5 minutes (they always came out shit in my thai-built gas 'oven' plus the kids enjoy making them more than ordering and waiting for lukewarm, squashed up shit they call a pizza.

i no longer order KFC, McD's, Chester Grill or any of that shit. its all just junk!

Edited by edgarfriendly

Domino's? Pseudo-pizza.

Why don´t you get a baking stone? They look like large unglazed tiles and you heat them up for 30 mins to 250°C. A thin crust pizza will just take 5 mins to bake on it. This is as close as you can get to the real pizza oven. And with just 5 minutes of baking all ingredients are put on at once - first tomatoes and cheese then salami, ham, mushrooms etc. etc. No pizzaiolo takes a pizza out of the oven to add toppings.

And no, I do not call this American cake a pizza.

only ordered from them twice and both times it was cocked up, late and refused to admit lateness..

30 minutes or its free.... No misaterrrr, yor home not 30 minit na...

splattered my BBQ chicken 'pizza' with mayonaise despite being told 3 times im allergic to it.

absolute garbage - just like pizza hut pizza company AND scoozi!!

You've had your experience, and my family has had ours, and it's a different one.

Domino's was late a time or two on deliveries to our house in BKK, and after calling to inquire about what happened, I told them I expected them to honor the 30 minute guarantee they advertise. They put a supervisor on the phone, and they did honor it. Our pizzas were free those few times. Most of the time, though, they deliver on time with no problem.

I've never ordered their BBQ chicken pizza. But my wife likes their pepperoni pizza, and it's never come with even a hint of mayo. So I suppose what you get kind of depends on what you order. But, I can understand if your meaning is you had a special order request for them to omit something and they failed to do so.

• Like 1

I think you'll find NAPLES is the place where pizza originated - you know, in Italy ... I have a New Yorker acquaintance who swears black is white that pizza was invented there, and now we have Chicagoans muscling in. Who cares, as long as it tastes good. The Thai stuff is muck, that's for sure.

I believe the Italians borrowed pizza and pasta. Pizza from the Greeks (Pita) and noodles from the Chinese.

Personally I don't much like the cardboard like thin dry crusts of local Italian pizza. Chicago style is much better IMHO.

Not to mention that the tomato comes from the Americas. Hardly an original Italian item at all in a pizza.

For political reasons I will forever boycott Domino's Pizza. Domino's is owned by Bain Capital, which is owned by Mitt Romney. Mitt Romney is the chap who lost the 2012 U.S. Presidential election to Barack Obama.

In the run up to the 2012 U.S. election, Mr. Romney made a trip to the U.K. and unwittingly insulted the organizers of the 2012 London Olympics by implying that London wasn't ready to host the games. Mr. Romney had led the organizing of 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics, and based on his vast experience he didn't seem to think that the city of London was up to the test. What Mr. Romney didn't take into account is that London is a much larger city and therefore a much more complex venue to provide security for than Salt Lake City, a relatively small town in the sparsely populated southwestern U.S.

Mr. Romney was rightfully criticized wholeheartedly for his lack of tact as well as for insulting the U.K. by implying a lack of security for the London games. Of course the games went off without any issues, which made Mr. Romney look even more foolish.

Yank's berating everybody else about security and ethics...

Just today I read a 16 year old boy jumps an airport fence and stows away on a plane at one of America's top Airports. cheesy.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27086401

Domino's? Pseudo-pizza.

Why don´t you get a baking stone? They look like large unglazed tiles and you heat them up for 30 mins to 250°C. A thin crust pizza will just take 5 mins to bake on it. This is as close as you can get to the real pizza oven. And with just 5 minutes of baking all ingredients are put on at once - first tomatoes and cheese then salami, ham, mushrooms etc. etc. No pizzaiolo takes a pizza out of the oven to add toppings.

Agreed. Pizza is never taken out of the oven and ingredients later added. The exception to this rule is red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese. Anybody that thinks ingredients are added after the fact has no idea how to make pizza. But this has nothing to do with the topic. So let's get back to the OP about Domino's. It doesn't matter what style pizza one likes it only matters what one thinks about Domino's.

Domino's? Pseudo-pizza.

Agreed. Pizza is never taken out of the oven and ingredients later added. The exception to this rule is red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese. Anybody that thinks ingredients are added after the fact has no idea how to make pizza. But this has nothing to do with the topic. So let's get back to the OP about Domino's. It doesn't matter what style pizza one likes it only matters what one thinks about Domino's.

Items that come to mind as being better to add after cooking are: diced tomatoes, shredded cheddar, or feta.

These have better flavor uncooked and add a freshness to the pie.

Edited by canuckamuck

Great, more Westernization that will add to the deculturalization of an already dying culture. Those of you with a weight problem and horrible taste in pizza have something to smile about for a few moments at least, that is until that last slice is gone to the gut and remorse reers it's ugly head. Bon appétit Thailand.

• Like 1

Great, more Westernization that will add to the deculturalization of an already dying culture.

Like a new brand of pizza is going to make any difference at all to Thai culture. rolleyes.gif

It is another step in the wrong direction, be it small or big, it is still a step

Surprised this is news, Dominos has been about BKK for a while already?

I saw one was being built outside Legacy Express hotel near Phloen Chit last year, already quite a few branches along Sukhumvit already, off the top of my head I spotted one quite near Soi 31.

I have used the home delivery before as well, luckily a small branch in Lat Prao where I was staying so I got my order in about 15 minutes.

My favourite Pizza I've had in Bangkok was still the Italian place outside Asoke Station.

Surprised this is news, Dominos has been about BKK for a while already?

I saw one was being built outside Legacy Express hotel near Phloen Chit last year, already quite a few branches along Sukhumvit already, off the top of my head I spotted one quite near Soi 31.

I have used the home delivery before as well, luckily a small branch in Lat Prao where I was staying so I got my order in about 15 minutes.

My favourite Pizza I've had in Bangkok was still the Italian place outside Asoke Station.

Pala Pizza.... but theirs is done is slabs/squares... as opposed to the round variety.

Still... in a whole different league from Domino's.

Different people like different types of pizza but to my taste those claiming Dominos is the worst in the U.S. have not tasted Chuck E Cheese, CiCi's, Pizza Hut, Little Caesars and Shakeys. Let's just cut to the chase and demand they open a string of California Pizza Kitchen outlets. But, no doubt, there will be people who don't like this chain. Take solace in the fact that any Chicago ex-pats must REALLY be disappointed in Thailand's pizza options!

Domino's? Pseudo-pizza.

Laughable. Both of you like to destroy your ingredients? Read carefully, I said 'many', not 'all' toppings. Those that do not require cooking are added AFTER, for example, parma ham (or any cured meat), fresh basil, fresh rucola, any other fresh herb, some cheeses such as ricotta and parmesan, smoked salmon.

My fave pizza is parma ham, rucola and parmesan, and I have sometimes seen the parma ham baked with the pizza and consider it a culinary crime. biggrin.png

Of all the attempts to produce pizza I've run across in Pattaya, I find the pizza seller in the lower level food court of Central to be the best. Not saying it's the same as a real CHICAGO pizza (which is the benchmark for the rest of the world) but it's certainly better than anything else I've tasted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8IKxbOpt0E

Edited by dharmabm
  • Like 2