Thai election possible in late July, EC says

webfact

Unfortunately for Thailand the last thing the democrats want is an election,

They know there is no way they can win so hence we have the self proclaimed peoples medium holding the country to ransom propped up by a group of rich elitist people who's our way or the highway attitude will never win out in the end!

You are obviously unable to see the route ahead.

Can you? If so, please enlighten us.

#28 ???

From #28:

"Late July would be brilliant, most of the deadwood out of the way--fresh faces to vote for, all the rif raf blown away --banned. (whoever)."

Can you guarantee this will happen? Will the Democrats participate? Will Suthep keep his minions in line and not disrupt candidate registration and voting?

So sutep words are not to be taking seriously ?

Betting a bit each way there aren't we?

Did NOT say that my friend. please read again---MUCH----is not all. When you are speaking every day for months, you do make some poor remarks. But I care to mention some of the week kneed remarks of government over 3 years and their polices.

I certainly am not each way, Suthep did what the country needed ---bring to light the gross misconduct of the government.

Bring on the late July elections PLEASE.

#28 ???

From #28:

"Late July would be brilliant, most of the deadwood out of the way--fresh faces to vote for, all the rif raf blown away --banned. (whoever)."

Can you guarantee this will happen? Will the Democrats participate? Will Suthep keep his minions in line and not disrupt candidate registration and voting?

I cannot guarantee nothing, The Dems should participate-why not if it is clean and controlled independently. Suthep will not be in the limelight if the Shins are out the way and not interfering with the vote. I wish that for Thailand, I would be pleased for them.

I have no idea what some you guys are on about,

So if you are not for fair and free elections and it seems that way because every time I mention election you guys go off your rockers!

Sutep is the one who proclaimed himself the people medium wants to select who he wants to run the country etc etc.

It's not hard just set a date in July and get on with it.

Why are you so worried?If the dems win they win if the PTP win they win.!

Wow, you are having a better day, choosing the middle ground now---that's a good sign.

I have said all along, have elections when they are totally controlled/monitored, NOT like Yinglucks FEB one. Late July would be brilliant, most of the deadwood out of the way--fresh faces to vote for, all the rif raf blown away --banned. (whoever).

I do think much of Sutheps words were not to be taken too seriously, he will NOT be in the next government, because posters like me would object as he promised not to be involved. His job was to bring to light only the corruption and rid Thailand of this family who illegally run the country from UAE.

??????

So if you are not for fair and free elections and it seems that way because every time I mention election you guys go off your rockers!

Sutep is the one who proclaimed himself the people medium wants to select who he wants to run the country etc etc.

Wow, you are having a better day, choosing the middle ground now---that's a good sign.

I have said all along, have elections when they are totally controlled/monitored, NOT like Yinglucks FEB one. Late July would be brilliant, most of the deadwood out of the way--fresh faces to vote for, all the rif raf blown away --banned. (whoever).

I do think much of Sutheps words were not to be taken too seriously, he will NOT be in the next government, because posters like me would object as he promised not to be involved. His job was to bring to light only the corruption and rid Thailand of this family who illegally run the country from UAE.

??????

Post this for what ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Somchai said the EC was equipped with legal measures to prevent a repeat of the problems that rendered the February 2 poll unconstitutional."

He should use these powers.

If they involve the police then we shall see.....

...then we shall see the difference the police made in the last elections - none. They stood idly by while PDRC padlocked poll station doors or barricaded poll stations to prevent voters from voting. What assurance does the public have that the police this time will do their duty to assure voter access to poll stations? But maybe the EC has a secret alternative such as alternate poll stations nearby the official poll station to divert voters to in safety. The EC did something similar during the registration of candidates in the last election.

??????

Post this for what ?

I was speechless when I read it. Do you really believe that you,or any other poster on this board, could have any effect on what Suthep does.

We can talk on here and give opinions, but we cannot change Thailand.

#28 ???

From #28:

I cannot guarantee nothing, The Dems should participate-why not if it is clean and controlled independently. Suthep will not be in the limelight if the Shins are out the way and not interfering with the vote. I wish that for Thailand, I would be pleased for them.

"I cannot guarantee nothing". I assume you mean that you can't guarantee anything. No one can.

We all have opinions about what should happen, but the reality is that the Democrats are still unpopular outside of Bangkok and won't win a July election, so they may boycott. The Shinawatra's are still popular in the north and northeast, where the majority of Thais live, and will remain influential. Suthep knows the Democrats can't win so he wants to "reform" the election process, even though vote buying and voter intimidation are already illegal and one of his own advisers, when pressed, admitted that the 2011 election result was legitimate http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2013/12/thailand-s-protests. This kind of makes me wonder what kind of "reform" he wants.

I'm all for smooth, cleanly run elections, I'm just not optimistic about them happening.

• Like 1

First off....

The PTP have no more say in when the election is held. They are just a political party with a bunch of their ministers in caretaker roles which is soon to be removed anyway.

The EC are the ones with the power to say when they are to be held and yet once again the PTP think they have the power to push them around.... Nothing has changed.

The Dems are totally right.

Whether they take part or not, this could end up a disaster much like the Feb 2nd election... In fact, a precedent has now been set, and it will be in fact easier for this election to become nullified.

The PDRC or whoever will not even have to block anything... They can simply urge a massive 'no vote' campaign in all the non PTP stronghold constituencies which is over 200 of the 500 seats. That will ensure the election can not be completed.

The EC has now wasted ample time to set up simple election reforms, and has failed to do so, which tells me that they are not really interested in democratic 'free and fair' elections which is the reason the commission was set up in the first place... The elections are no more 'free and fair' than they were before they came into existence.

So we can expect the Dems will not be running in these elections either, and why should they when they are blocked from campaigning where the bulk of the voters reside, and instead those people are intimidated to vote PTP.

Here goes another waste of 4 Bn.

I really hope they do get messed up.... That will take us way past September for another round of elections and by then the next rice crop will be in and all the rice farming families are going to see the real damage the PTP and Thaksin has made of their industry. They will realize what voting by greed has done to their livelihoods.

“The PTP have no more say in when the election is held…. The EC are the ones with the power to say when they are to be held and yet once again the PTP think they have the power…”

I guess you forgot that the Constitutional Court had ruled last year that elections will be held on a date agreed upon by both the EC and the Government? So both have equal power to say when the elections are to be held. Seeing as the Government wants June and the EC wants end of July, agreement looks possible. I find this equal power disturbing in that either side can forestall elections indefinitely or use such equal position as political blackmail or favoritism.

If someone wants to focus on election reforms, establishment of election dates might be one area, ie., set a 60-day maximum reflecting the spirit of the Constitution's requirement of the election to be held no later than 60 days after formation of the interim government. Thus, in the present case where the Feb. 2, 2014 election was invalidated, the elections should be rescheduled within the next 60 days following nullification.

Any time constraint has proven, however, to be a problem to the EC who repeatedly claims it is unable to organize an election within a 60-day deadline even when it is required to do so by the constitution. Furthermore, there is the problem of the Constitutional Court that is willing to violate a 60-day deadline in order to make any rulings on election disputes. These two organizations need to discipline themselves accordingly to comply with the constitution - now that would be a serious reform!

What goes unnoticed in the discussion of an election date is the fact that prospective candidates must register PRIOR to the advanced election date, usually two weeks prior to the official election date. So aside for any political rhetoric,Thailand will know if the Democrats will participate in the election on the candidate registration date. If Democrat candidates do not register, there is every reason to expect that the Democrats/PDRC will blockade election stations once again so the court can nullify the results once again - in ad infinitium. While Democrats still could encourage its supporters to go to the polls with a "no vote," it loses control over election results - PTP might still regain control of the Government again.

Though now some Democrat leaders are suggesting the contrary, Suthep has NEVER conceded any deviation to his government/ elec-tion reforms requirement prior to holding elections. So long as the Democrats/PDRC view Suthep as their political leader, I expect he will continue to do everything to use civil disobediance, the NACC, the Senate, and the Courts to permanently delay elections until a time of his liking.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You really think Suthep would take TV posters like you seriously if you were to object to a broken promise that he will not be in the next government? Suthep is addicted to power, especially lost power, and he hungers for another round of drinks at the bar of government. Only when the Democrats/PDRC supplant Suthep as the party leader with a more moderate and circumspective leader will Suthep's political future be constrained.

Ok then sutep doesn't want to select a reform committee or select the next PM and countersign that document ?

I have wasted all this time because he's only joking?

Oh well let's see what tis week holds.

Suthep cannot select a PM, it is NOT his business, If we have to have some interim government because of any BANS then it should be from an independent body- He may well have suggested a million things what happens is another thing.

I have not taken all his words on board, so why should you ??

Yes lets all be reasonable and see what happens and debate what then is good and bad---good Idea ??? keep an open mind --DORIS DAY, whatever will be will be.thumbsup.gif

You really think Suthep would take TV posters like you seriously if you were to object to a broken promise that he will not be in the next government? Suthep is addicted to power, especially lost power, and he hungers for another round of drinks at the bar of government. Only when the Democrats/PDRC supplant Suthep as the party leader with a more moderate and circumspective leader will Suthep's political future be constrained.

Whatever Suthep thinks is up to him.

If he breaks that promise I will be in opposition to him. In your thoughts he is addicted to power - I was not aware he was the Dems leader ???

All I have said is to make a start the rif raf have to go. Fair elections late July may the winner govern as promised. .

• Like 1

What goes unnoticed in the discussion of an election date is the fact that prospective candidates must register PRIOR to the advanced election date, usually two weeks prior to the official election date. So aside for any political rhetoric,Thailand will know if the Democrats will participate in the election on the candidate registration date. If Democrat candidates do not register, there is every reason to expect that the Democrats/PDRC will blockade election stations once again so the court can nullify the results once again - in ad infinitium. While Democrats still could encourage its supporters to go to the polls with a "no vote," it loses control over election results - PTP might still regain control of the Government again.

Though now some Democrat leaders are suggesting the contrary, Suthep has NEVER conceded any deviation to his government/ elec-tion reforms requirement prior to holding elections. So long as the Democrats/PDRC view Suthep as their political leader, I expect he will continue to do everything to use civil disobediance, the NACC, the Senate, and the Courts to permanently delay elections until a time of his liking.

"So long as the Democrats/PDRC view Suthep as their political leader"

While Suthep is certainly the most prominent PDRC-leader, you may recall that he resigned from the Dems, back in the autumn, to lead the PDRC campaign. ?

Why would he therefore be regarded by the completely-separate Democrat Party as "their political leader", isn't that still supposed to be the slightly-vacillating former-PM Abhisit, or did I miss (it's entirely possible when I'm out of the country) a change in party-leadership, as you appear to claim ?

I'm sure Suthep will continue his little rally, and some of his views may accord with feeling within the Democrat party, but whether that's enough to sway the Dems against standing this time again, still remains to be seen. Personally I hope they do stand, and viewed it as a mistake not to, last time. Should be interesting !

Edited by Ricardo

Okay, so we are at least clear now. It is not about reform, or a serious attempt at stopping corruption across the board. It is what many 'Red'posters have said all along, just a plan to get rid of the Shins and has no real reform plan behind it.

At least we can put all the nonsense about reform and stopping corruption to bed, and call a spade a spade. Corruption will go on unabated, just not by Shins.

If Suthep is not involved in politics directly going forward i would be very surprised, although despite all his complaints about cronyism/nepotism, i fully expect his step son Akanant to find himself a nice little position somewhere to do Sutheps bidding.