Ferries in Thailand meet safety standards: Marine Dept

webfact

Marine Dept: Ferries in Thailand meet safety standards

BANGKOK, 22 April 2014 (NNT) - The Marine Department confirms the safety of Thai ferries meet international standards. The department will take members of the press to inspect ferries in the southern province of Surat Thani this 24 April.

Director-General of the Marine Department Sornsak Saensombat has ensured safety for ferry passengers in Thailand, saying that the boats, safety equipment and crew had standards approved by international bodies.

At present, there are 25 ferries throughout Thailand and most of them operate in the coastal provinces of Trat and Surat Thani to provide service for over 1.3 million passengers/year.

The Marine Department has launched the model of ship management and safety called the “Pattaya Model” to be introduced to many tourist destinations throughout Thailand.

The department has also called on ferry operators to make a safety instruction video and play it for the passengers when the ferry leaves the port.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-22 footer_n.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet that during the inspection all will be in order. But for passengers I have never seen or received any single life jacket on a Thai ferry; and I have taken a lot of them already. Just an example among many other things. I highly doubt that Ferries in Thailand meet any International Standard. Which "international bodies" approved the standards and when? In the seventies?

• Like 1

Sornsak Saensombat has made a very bold statement here......he's either been through everything very thoroughly with International agencies that complete inspections and issue approvals for passenger vessels.....or he's a complete twit....I fear the latter!

• Like 1

Till something happens!

Quite! This statement only covers 25 ferries, not the hundreds of boats carrying passengers. It is likely that the ferries do meet safety standards, at least when inspected, it is those other boats I would be concerned about.

I expect the ferries meet international standards just like the trucking and railroad systems in Thailand meet international standards (giggle, giggle).

By the way, do you know how high you can stack cargo on a Thai truck? Well, it depends...on a non-windy day normally three times the height of the truck...on a windy day only two times the height of the truck. Weight or type of cargo doesn't matter.

I bet that during the inspection all will be in order. But for passengers I have never seen or received any single life jacket on a Thai ferry; and I have taken a lot of them already. Just an example among many other things. I highly doubt that Ferries in Thailand meet any International Standard. Which "international bodies" approved the standards and when? In the seventies?

It was introduced after the Mary Rose mishap,and never been upgraded since.

Sornsak Saensombat has made a very bold statement here......he's either been through everything very thoroughly with International agencies that complete inspections and issue approvals for passenger vessels.....or he's a complete twit....I fear the latter!

I think that should be spelt <deleted> .......................a

yes very safe apart from the fact that they are rusting hulks, the seating is collapsing and held together with electrical twine, exhaust fumes are emitted all over the passengers, doors dont open or close properly & they are simply allowed to rot/rust away but they are still able to float(well mostly)so they are considered safe by thai standards....

If you believe "ferries in Thailand meet International safety standards", you'll also believe that my wife is NOT from Isaan, is NOT an ex-bargirl, and was ACTUALLY educated in one of the top Universities in Thailand.

top unis in thailand? where? who ? when ?