Buffalo hit by van as it crosses road

Lite Beer

Buffalo hit by van as it crosses road
Eakkapop Thongtub

post-36914-0-74212200-1398479968_thumb.j

PHUKET: A van carrying tourists from the airport crashed into a buffalo on Friday nght (April 25) at Ban Don Rd in Thalang as it was attempting to cross the road with another buffalo.

The accident happened just 1 km before Wat Thepkassatri at about 7:30pm after the driver had picked up two Russian couples from Phuket Inernational Airport.

When volunteers from Phuket Kusontham Foundation arrived at the scene, they found a female buffalo that weighed more than one tonne lying on the side of the road with serious injuries including a broken left leg, broken ribs, and a bloody bruise on her hip.

Just 15 metres away, the van was stalled in the middle of the road with a broken front radiator.

According to the driver, 44-year-old Mr Amnat Jansuriwong, he was on his way to drop of the two Russian couples when he saw two buffaloes scurrying across the road. In the darkness, Mr Amnat could make out the animals but said he was unable to brake in time and smashes into one of the animals, which bounced off the van and into the side of the road.

The other buffalo ran away during the accident, Mr Amnat said.

Thalang Police attempted to find the owner of the animal but were unsuccessful. Police called in a butcher to get an estimated price on the animal before putting it down and carving it for sale.

The van was taken to Thalang Police Station.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/buffalo-hit-by-van-as-it-crosses-road-45921.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-26

So how does that work? Would the owner of the buffalo have to pay off the van or the van pay off the buffalo owner? I have a feeling if it was a farang who hit the poor thing, owners would be coming out of the woodwork to claim it.

He couldn't brake in time, so he was driving too fast.

Possible but also possible the kwai got spooked and ran into the road. Not as though a big black buffalo is simple to spot on a dark road.

That the owner, of what for a Thai farmer is a very expensive beast was not found tells alot as to who felt liable imo.

• Like 1

Possible but also possible the kwai got spooked and ran into the road. Not as though a big black buffalo is simple to spot on a dark road.

That the owner, of what for a Thai farmer is a very expensive beast was not found tells alot as to who felt liable imo.

Doesn't matter, should still be able to stop in time.

• Like 2

Another Clown with Black Tints no doubt.

• Like 1

No, the driver is responsible to pay for livestock they hit in Thailand. Don't assume the law is the same as it is in your home country. This is one of the first things I learned when I started driving in Thailand by seeing a driver pay a farmer for his dead cow under police order.

On the other hand, buffalo should be in before sun down. The farmer might have been too drunk lol

The buffalo expert in my house says the buffalo owner should have secured said buffalo in farm before dark. If a person would have been injured or killed, the owner of the buffalo would be found right away and police would have to do a full investigation.

The buffalo expert in my house says the buffalo owner should have secured said buffalo in farm before dark. If a person would have been injured or killed, the owner of the buffalo would be found right away and police would have to do a full investigation.

Sounds like you might be getting buffaloed

• Like 1

Sounds like you might be getting buffaloed

I thought it was funny too....

Doesn't matter, the owner is responsible for keeping his/her stock off the main roads, even at daytime. From what the Thais tell me, a buffalo owner would be legally responsible for any damages caused by his/her stock crossing a main road.