Multi-Million Baht ATM robbery in Jomtien

webfact

Multi-Million Baht ATM robbery in Jomtien

atm-4.jpg

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Monday a multi-million Baht robbery of an ATM situated outside of a Concrete Company took place.

Police were called to the front of the S-Con Concrete Company located on the Sukhumvit Road in Jomtien by Khun Paitoon aged 42, a Security Guard employed to watch-over the company compound overnight.

At the front of the business is a standalone Siam Commercial Bank ATM which had been broken-into through a rear steel door. The rear of the ATM cabinet had also been broken-into and it is thought many millions of Baht had been taken.

The Security Guard claimed he was alerted to a problem after he smelled burning at the front of the Concrete Shop. He went to investigate and saw four men all wearing Balaclavas. One was sitting in a Black Isuzu pick-up, 2 were standing outside on the street and another of the suspects was carrying two of the money boxes taken from the ATM, towards the pick-up.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/126518/multi-million-baht-atm-robbery-in-jomtien/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-04-29

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATM machines really have many million?

May be incident happened too early in the morning and author is little confused

Individual customers can regularly take our 50,000 to 100,000 from a single ATM, providing they do not exceed their daily amount. Ten to twenty of these customers will withdraw a total of one million baht.

An ATM has to be able to service hundreds, if not thousands, of customers before it has to be refilled, so, yes, an ATM has to contain banknotes in the multi millions...!!

• Like 2

Worked at a credit union for 3 years putting money into ATM's and also for Brinks after me military days. The amount of Baht taken sounds about right when converted from USD. All depends on the location and the amount of usage how much money is put into the ATM. As for the masked men breaking into the ATM, it must not have had an alarm on it. And the human alarm was a little slow on the trigger. facepalm.gif

Worked at a credit union for 3 years putting money into ATM's and also for Brinks after me military days. The amount of Baht taken sounds about right when converted from USD. All depends on the location and the amount of usage how much money is put into the ATM. As for the masked men breaking into the ATM, it must not have had an alarm on it. And the human alarm was a little slow on the trigger. facepalm.gif

Exactly , if ATM was outside the bank or shopping mall , this one is in the middle of nowhere, outside a factory of people who earn 9000-10000 per month

• Like 2

4 guys, one sitting on his arse, two just standing there and the other doing all the work. Sounds like Robinsons or Home Pro

The 2 just standing there were obviously discussing what they were going to eat to celebrate their new found loot. A somtam sangthip combo I'd imagine.

You'd thin that in order to avoid scenarios like this, ATM will be stuffed with as little as possible

money and just have more ATM's with less money in them, sorry, I forgot that this is Thailand,

where common sense is a rare commodity...

You'd thin that in order to avoid scenarios like this, ATM will be stuffed with as little as possible

money and just have more ATM's with less money in them, sorry, I forgot that this is Thailand,

where common sense is a rare commodity...

Ever thought of an insider job? They claim that they pit 100 million baht in, but had the money taken before......aeeh Sherlock, here's your tea.

4 guys, one sitting on his arse, two just standing there and the other doing all the work. Sounds like Robinsons or Home Pro

come on the other are they incase someone rocks up and makes a fuss.

which the 'security guard' knew and didn't bother them directly.

they're not going to leave 1/2 thru the job.

Whenever somebodies house gets robbed I always say..."have you checked your neighbours garage"....because someone doesn't just walk in not knowing if you are at home nursing your shotgun.

A several days playback of local cctv's should show who cased the joint (ATM).

Very Thai, na? But, after all, it worked. Cf. the success, efficiency, and brilliance of Brits working together:

Two Pattaya Brits arrested following three bungled ATM Robberies

29_06_55_1_3.jpg

PATTAYA:--Two of three British suspects thought to be involved in the theft of three ATM machines within Chonburi Province have been arrested by Provincial Transnational Crime Suppression Police Officers.

. . .

Police Lieutenant General Panya, Region 2 Police Commissioner, held a press conference at Chonburi Police Headquarters on Friday morning to announce the arrest of Mr. Alexander Milbourn aged 24 and Mr. Shaun Edward Tracy aged 34 who were both unemployed and had resided in Pattaya for the last 10 years. They had allegedly devised a plan with a third man, also British, known only as “Richard”, to use Nylon rope attached to a rented vehicle with the other end attached to the cash box of the ATM machine which would then be yanked from the wall. In all three cases the cash boxes could not be opened and the broken ATM machines would be abandoned by the assailants.

--http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566264-two-britons-nabbed-for-atm-thefts-in-chon-buri/

They obviously did a better job than the Germans who got busted in Pattaya a long time ago, trying to steal an ATM and pull it out with a rope.

I'm on my way to an ATM now....thumbsup.gif

Definitely not Germans.

• Like 1

ATM's (depending on brand etc) can hold up to 6,000 notes in multiple cassettes. So even allowing for this ATM having smaller denominations such as 20,50,100,500 Baht cassettes, there's plenty available space to rack up more than a few million in bigger denominations. Even if only 3,000 notes were 1,000B denominations, that's 3M straight up.

Nice to see the security camera was tamper proof. coffee1.gif

......so the concrete company security guard observed the 4 men...and was able to describe exactly what they were doing (carrying the cash boxes to the pickup etc etc)

........so what did he do?.......call the police?.....use his 2-way radio to call for assistance?.........or ...........(wait for it)

NOTHING?..........mmmmm makes you wonder....

Only in Thailand I see ATMs standing alone in the middle of the street of nowhere, ready for pickup for criminals!

Other country's put the mashine in a wall of concrete !

Smelling burn when someone talk large withdrawal , interesting story that looks for me someone try to open the ATM!

Usually the response time and time needed in Thailand to get money, is very short!

In the eu it needs 10 secounds to analeize and verify the card!

In Thailand within that time the withdrawal is done!

Some experts say arms of Thailand has low security standards verify cards!

And to expensive to replace them all!

Maybe it's only a simple software trick !

A longer delay of verification process of foreign credit card !

Would help to hold the multimillion baht damage of fraud and stolen credit cards lower!

But who is paying the bill in this case, no one talk about this!

European banks must pay the money back to the victim , when the victim was never in that country of the time of withdrawal !

Thai banks maybe not get there money from foreign banks, or have a good insurance the don't pay the loose of money!

And now to all mathematics out here

A scb bank give 20 k

Calculate the time of one withdrawal

That I don't know exactly yet , let's say of 20secounds up to one million!

How Long need time withdrawal one million

In a short calculation 10000 k in 2 minutes

In 10 minutes the ATM is emty!

Not enough time the alarm bell rings on nearest police station!

I not believe that fake story

The time needed withdraw lone million needs much longer

Because of the fact that not only 1000 baht notes inside a ATM

To reach one million on total

Also 100 and 500 notes

One time it happens in a scb ATM

In Pattaya shopping center

The 1000 baht was finish

ATM shows massage and a MAss

Of 500 bhat notes instead of 1000 baht come outside!

This mean to withdrawal all money

We have the multiple the total time of withdrawal needed, because a 20k withdrawal not result in a 40 pcs of 500 baht paper money!

The ATM canot give out!

I believe that there are some curupt bank workers that know each secret. Of there ATMs this happen everywhere in the world not only in Thailand !

Wrong background information in public media, will never solve the problem, the ATM company's must react and, proberbly setup more undercover agents instead of cheap 7 eleven workers to fill up there mashine on the backside

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The 2 just standing there were obviously discussing what they were going to eat to celebrate their new found loot. A somtam sangthip combo I'd imagine.

How do we know for sure that they were Thais? They got away with it so they couls be Farangs !

Not a robbery. Robberies happen to people. Criminally much more serious than theft or burglary.

Not a theft. Thefts happen to things with no evidence of forced entry.

Sounds more like it was a burglary - absconding with property after a forced entry. Less serious than the headline suggests, as no human life was at risk.

Having an ATM with a couple of Million Baht in it is not at all unusual. Neither are withdrawal limits which can vary widely (and are subject to adjustment as mentioned).

What is stupid are the number of stand-alone ATM's in remote locations and seemingly alarms & cameras not deployed in this instance.
But for those thinking it's part of a scam - that's ludicrous. The ATMs have technology that can remotely monitor how much cash is left in each individual cartridge & they are periodically balanced (counted) the same as Bank Tellers need to balance their cash holdings daily. That's of course providing the cartridge is still INSIDE the ATM.
And I'm sorry Sandman77 - I have no idea what you're trying to say. xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

Exactly , if ATM was outside the bank or shopping mall , this one is in the middle of nowhere, outside a factory of people who earn 9000-10000 per month

It makes total sense to have an ATM outside a factory.

I would presume that the factory is a customer of SCB (if they have SCB ATM on their property) and probably makes direct deposit of salaries in to the factory workers SCB accounts.

As 1weatherman said, depends on usage and how much money is put into the ATM. Tomorrow is the end of the month, and payday for most. I think the ATM would have been freshly stocked up in anticipation of the workers wanting to withdraw their pay.

Somebody knew this... if it was an inside job it was probably inside the factory; someone who had noticed the monthly deliveries and servicing the ATM before the end of the month.

ATM machines really have many million?

May be incident happened too early in the morning and author is little confused

Individual customers can regularly take our 50,000 to 100,000 from a single ATM, providing they do not exceed their daily amount. Ten to twenty of these customers will withdraw a total of one million baht.

An ATM has to be able to service hundreds, if not thousands, of customers before it has to be refilled, so, yes, an ATM has to contain banknotes in the multi millions...!!

sorry but not correct scib has atm limits to prevent this - check daily withdrawal limits and post again - somebody is covering a deficiency me thinks.

Your the one who's wrong, i have a limit i can withdraw from a ATM daily 200.000 BTH. I use SCB

Me too ..