Mobi’s - The New Bar on Lake Mabprachan

Mobis

Some posts have been removed also replies to them:

16) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgement of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, it was just the photos I was looking at that were posted. Perhaps they look younger in person. Good to see you're making an effort....a lot of bars could learn from you.

A true internet warrior. Makes his mind up from a poor quality photo. But at least he admitted it.

Quality customer.

Nice to see he apologised.

How long is this going on?

Sorry, it was just the photos I was looking at that were posted. Perhaps they look younger in person. Good to see you're making an effort....a lot of bars could learn from you.

A true internet warrior. Makes his mind up from a poor quality photo. But at least he admitted it.

Quality customer.

Hello Mobi good luck with the bar. You seem like a nice guy. Why don't you consider playing UFC fights including Ultimate Fighter series, the events on Fox and of course the UFC pay events. I am not talking about live but rather playing already finished fights. There is an audience in my opinion. You should try something different like UFC night, NFL night, etc. Something different as everyone seems to do the same thing. Also what about Seinfeld night.

A belated thanks... I was a bit busy last night. Your apology is much appreciated and I do hope we see you there one day.

Identify yourself and I'll buy you a beer.......smile.png

Quality customer.

Hello Mobi good luck with the bar. You seem like a nice guy. Why don't you consider playing UFC fights including Ultimate Fighter series, the events on Fox and of course the UFC pay events. I am not talking about live but rather playing already finished fights. There is an audience in my opinion. You should try something different like UFC night, NFL night, etc. Something different as everyone seems to do the same thing. Also what about Seinfeld night.

Thank you for your suggestions, and all are possible, including Seinfeld.

However, because we are primarily an outdoor bar, the background noise from other bars and the road make watching spoken TV quite difficult.

With music you can crank the sound up a little to drown out other noise, but this is not so easy with speech.

If I was running an indoor bar, comedies and movies would be high on my agenda, but as it is, I don't think its going to work.

Yes I could show UFC fights from Fox - if there is a demand...

Anyone?

Quality customer.

How long is what going on?

• Like 1

dammit Mobi ---- while world Cup is on I religiously avoid looking anywhere that may show soccer results and i watch the matches during the day. I also find time every day to read your thread!

Just rushed back from shopping to watch England game only to find you say they lost !! Buggeration!!

So sorry.

Frankly I'm amazed that you made until the following afternoon without seeing the result somewhere. I woke at 10 a.m. yesterday morning and decided to watch the match without knowing the result. Within 10 minutes I was getting bored and wanted to read the daily news updates on my phone. So I switched it on, saw that we lost and gave up watching.

I reckon I saved myself nearly 2 hours of heartache, so you could say I also did you a favour.... unless you happen to be Italian....biggrin.png

post-25991-0-30055800-1402911152_thumb.p

The new Bar at Lake Mabprachan

For those of you who like to follow the progress of my bar and other 'Mobi-Matters' in more detail, my latest blog post can now been found at:

www.mobithailand.com

Happy reading, and as ever, your comments are welcome, either on my blog or here, at Thai Visa.

Please keep them clean and free of insults and/or inflammatory statements.

Or why not mosey over to Mobi's, and tell me in person...

Edited by Mobi

Mobi, do you want to train the girls or neighbours to fight? shock1.gifwhistling.gif Next they will be broadcasting screaming matches. hit-the-fan.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

Maybe better to stick to the music videos. guitar.gif

dammit Mobi ---- while world Cup is on I religiously avoid looking anywhere that may show soccer results and i watch the matches during the day. I also find time every day to read your thread!

Just rushed back from shopping to watch England game only to find you say they lost !! Buggeration!!

You wanted to avoid the England score so you opened a thread where people have been talking about sport most days? No the sharpest tool in the box are you.

• Like 1

Any audio experts out there?

I need some help/ advice with my bar’s sound system.

In the past I have been the first to complain when I go into a bar and the sound system is so bad that I’d rather they turn it off than hear them crucifying the music.

Now the tables are turned and I am faced with a bit of a dilemma.

I have installed my old (15 years) Sony amp and speaker system (2 speakers) in Mobi’s, which considering their age and the fact they are designed for home use, are not at all bad, but sadly they are not quite up to the job, especially when trying to compete against music in the adjacent bars.

If I crank the volume up too high, the sound is badly distorted, and in any case it is apparent that I need more speakers to reach all areas of the bar and probably a woofer.

I had always intended that the Sony home system would only be a stop-gap and knew that somewhere down the line I would have to invest in something better, once I had established that the bar business was viable and that my ‘non bog-standard’ choice of music proved popular, which seems to be the case.

My dilemma is that I simply cannot afford to fork out a large sum for a state of the art imported club system, using JBL or the like. I need something reasonably cheap – quite possibly Thai made - or maybe second hand.

The seating area of my bar isn’t that large and I am sure there must be something economical out there that can do the job.

I really don’t know where to go to find this sort of stuff and even if I did, simply trying out in a shop is not going to tell me if it will do the job I my bar.

Another wrinkle is that the amp must have a digital optical input, as that is the only way I can get the sound out of the TV. (I play music vids from my PC and run an HDMI cable to the LG TV but as stated, the only audio output is digital optical)

Any advice on what to buy and where, and how I can ascertain if it will do the job,would be much appreciated.

How much are you prepared to spend? That would help narrow the suggestions. Best sound systems I've seen were at Lighthouse and Ibar on Walking Street. Those guys know the deal...maybe they have some used stuff after their last upgrade?

I dunno about Pattaya but generally there are numerous shops in a town with amps and speaker boxes outside etc.. just look around!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes thankyou, I have seen a few myself. But I wouldn't have any idea what to buy or what would suit my bar without some expert advice. I somehow doubt if the guys in the shops would be of much help.....

The second hand shop next to the tulip cafe has sometimes impressive speakers for sale.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do you mean Tulip resort, off Nern Plub Wan, or is there another Tulip cafe?

But you have to ask yourself a big question, Mobi: Do you want to drown out conversation? This is not the bar I thought you were trying to develop. But I could be wrong. I hate bar sound systems that drown conversation. Which means most of them in Pattaya. Of course, there's nothing wrong with having an ample system that will distribute the big game commentary. Is this why you want to upgrade?

Anyway, I am moving back to the Dark Side next month (Nern Pub Waan) and will drop by in due time.

• Like 1

I dunno about Pattaya but generally there are numerous shops in a town with amps and speaker boxes outside etc.. just look around!

Yes thankyou, I have seen a few myself. But I wouldn't have any idea what to buy or what would suit my bar without some expert advice. I somehow doubt if the guys in the shops would be of much help.....

I would have thought more smaller speakers put around the bar rather than a couple of big speakers would be best. Especially if you can unplug them from the speaker loom.. if any table doesn't want music.

Would probably need a bigger amp for that. I'm no expert just thinking the best way to fit into the cool and mellow theme you want ( I think)

The second hand shop next to the tulip cafe has sometimes impressive speakers for sale.

Do you mean Tulip resort, off Nern Plub Wan, or is there another Tulip cafe?

they have a cafe outlet in Soi Siam Country Club, coming from your bar just past the intersection with the traffic lights on your left.

Why do you need loud music anyway? I enjoy it much more if the "music" is off in a Bar. Easy to talk with friends, much nicer atmosphere. Instead of being a copy of the 9999 other bars in greater Pattaya, maybe you just play your music on a low level, or non at all. At least that would set you apart from them.

• Like 1

I think Mobi is trying to have a sensible level of reasonable quality sound throughout the bar. ie a series of speaker sets at different locations in the bar, rather than having a pair blasting from one end of the bar. This way the overall volume does not have to be great to get a reasonable quality sound.

But you have to ask yourself a big question, Mobi: Do you want to drown out conversation? This is not the bar I thought you were trying to develop. But I could be wrong. I hate bar sound systems that drown conversation. Which means most of them in Pattaya. Of course, there's nothing wrong with having an ample system that will distribute the big game commentary. Is this why you want to upgrade?

Anyway, I am moving back to the Dark Side next month (Nern Pub Waan) and will drop by in due time.

No, I do not want to drown out conversation.

I want the music to be at a level where those who wish to listen can enjoy it, and those who wish to chat can hear themselves without shouting at each other. I admit its a fine line but I want to get it right, and as someone has suggested, multiple, but small speakers strategically placed,may be the answer.

The noise from the adjacent bars a can also be an issue on occasion, and if most of my customers are listening rather than chatting I can turn up the volume a bit without distorting the sound which is what happens at the moment with my somewhat unsuitable speakers, which are only intended for home use.

That is why I am seeking advice and why I can't just go and buy something that the shop tells me will do the job.

The suggestions and comments so far have given me food for thought and thank you for that.

I think Mobi is trying to have a sensible level of reasonable quality sound throughout the bar. ie a series of speaker sets at different locations in the bar, rather than having a pair blasting from one end of the bar. This way the overall volume does not have to be great to get a reasonable quality sound.

Yes, I think you have put it in a nut shell....thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Although we’ve had a welcome slow stream of customers coming and going today, business around the lake is getting rather dire.

For the first two weeks of June we were doing pretty well, but as soon as the World Cup started, business fell off sharply.

For the last few nights, by about 10 pm, the Lake has been devoid of traffic and I can only assume it is due to most people going home to watch the football.

I guess the broadcasting authorities haven’t helped by making all the matches available free to air but are charging a huge fee for any bar or pub that wants to put on a public showing.

I can’t help feeling that it’s a bit of a shame, as it means that football fans can’t gather together and share the enjoyment of the occasion, but have to watch by themselves at home.

All the wives must be happy….

So we’ll just have to see if we can ‘weather the storm.’ Three of my best customers left today for the Philippines to have some fun and enjoy unrestricted coverage of the football out in the bars which never close.

Oh well, I mustn’t grumble – we’re still in business and by comparison to many of the other bars out here, I think we’re doing better than most.

Any of you lonely guys out there who would like a bit of company or listen to some good music, why don’t you try us out at Mobi’s. We’re here waiting for you, with our friendly team of 7 lovely girls, right up to midnight, and beyond…..

Who would you need to pay a fee to when showing a free to air football game ?

The rights owners.

They will get very upset and send a mortuary of lawyer after any commercial establishment that shows the games without paying the appropriate (exorbitant) fee. It is on free to air only because the General said to make it so, and even he had to pay a large wad of tax payer cash to make it happen.

Yes they will have spies and snitches out there.

The rights owners.

They will get very upset and send a mortuary of lawyer after any commercial establishment that shows the games without paying the appropriate (exorbitant) fee. It is on free to air only because the General said to make it so, and even he had to pay a large wad of tax payer cash to make it happen.

The worldcup matches are now on free tv. The junta had to pay money to RS to compensate them for the rights they bought.

Nobody can or will charge a fee to air free tv in a bar.

The rights owners.

The worldcup matches are now on free tv. The junta had to pay money to RS to compensate them for the rights they bought.

Bet they will. The free to air is residential only.

The rights owners.

Bet they will. The free to air is residential only.

Casualbiker you are correct and Jesse Frank you are wrong.

The last world cup was also free to air and some bars were stung for small fortunes.

If bars could show free to air don't you think they would all be doing it?

It is only free in your home - anyone using it for their business ( ie a bar) has a pay a fee which I believe starts at 30,000 Baht, maybe more.

Whether you think it right or wrong, nobody is going to argue with the 'licence Mafia - police ' when they come to your bar, seize your equipment, put your manager/cashier in jail and extort 6 figures sums in fines. The local police are in on it so there's no way out.

I'm not going to try anyway...