Another one - 7:57 - 59 - 8:01

Rotweiler

CME off the sun yesterday puts us back on quake watch

Scarpolo was trying to say the same thing but there really is no connection. From the web:

"Researchers Dr. Jeffrey Love from the United States Geological Survey and Dr. Jeremy Thomas from Northwest Research Associates compared historical data of solar activity with earthquake occurrences around the world and found no definitive correlations… nothing to suggest that one directly influenced the other."

Chiang Rai had numerous small aftershocks yesterday.

CME off the sun yesterday puts us back on quake watch

Scarpolo was trying to say the same thing but there really is no connection. From the web:

"Researchers Dr. Jeffrey Love from the United States Geological Survey and Dr. Jeremy Thomas from Northwest Research Associates compared historical data of solar activity with earthquake occurrences around the world and found no definitive correlations… nothing to suggest that one directly influenced the other."

Chiang Rai had numerous small aftershocks yesterday.

I believe the activity which moved to Myammar China, is now sloshing back to Chaing Rai

if I am right, the next few days will see the activity return to thai borders

did they also disprove that it doesn't?

Yeah, pretty much completely. Look up their research and you will find that there was no correlation at all between the sun's activity and earthquakes. There are some YouTube dudes that latched on to all the soho CME satellite data and tried to make something of it. No scientific basis at all but they get a lot of views.

• Like 2

According with my wife and Buddha talking with her......will be a big one next 24th. I was skeptic again, like always...and I joked with her monk about, but I noticed that they didn't repair the temple roof that was damaged during the big first. I asked why...He said....we will...very soon, after the next big one....Hummmmm.....Now..I am not joking anymore with my wife about her supertitions...Will see....

Normally

we no listen too much

when our thai girls

are talking wai2.gif

May be enalfh crazy

that don't need help to do and think wrong

No one has told me yet whether all these 1.7's and 2.5's are normal in the area.

I have only started looking at the seismology reports recently,

and they are quite frequent it seems,

if the magma is sloshing about with the tilt of the earth, and it has made it way nort, who is to say when the earth tilts the other way, tat the magma doesnt slosh back south, and start looking for release in Chiang Rai again?

I've never experienced EQs before (prior to the one 3 years ago in Mae Sai / Tachilek). So I've done more research in the last 6 weeks than in the rest of my (long) life. It seems there are 2 types - vertical and horizontal - our type is horizontal, and this type has a longer period of aftershocks. Naturally this info doesn't help much much when your roof is rattling.

I have friends who have lost their houses because of this in Mae Lao, and one who has lost her rice milling factory; other friends have had their children's schooling severely disrupted.

I don't subscribe to the lava theory; I believe the EQ is attenuating in line with EQ statistics.

What is sadder is that this is the single most Lanna-specific news in the years I have been observing this forum, and it has just attracted nonsense from people who are not even in Thailand and even more nonsense from people who brag about their long years in Thailand.

• Like 1

I've never experienced EQs before (prior to the one 3 years ago in Mae Sai / Tachilek). So I've done more research in the last 6 weeks than in the rest of my (long) life. It seems there are 2 types - vertical and horizontal - our type is horizontal, and this type has a longer period of aftershocks. Naturally this info doesn't help much much when your roof is rattling.

I have friends who have lost their houses because of this in Mae Lao, and one who has lost her rice milling factory; other friends have had their children's schooling severely disrupted.

I don't subscribe to the lava theory; I believe the EQ is attenuating in line with EQ statistics.

What is sadder is that this is the single most Lanna-specific news in the years I have been observing this forum, and it has just attracted nonsense from people who are not even in Thailand and even more nonsense from people who brag about their long years in Thailand.

I've been through dozens of earthquakes in my life but nothing that goes on and on like this one, except perhaps for some time I spent around Mt. St. Helens after it erupted. The Chiang Rai earthquakes are subduction versions, and SE Asia is known for its tectonic activity. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it is as if Chiang Rai is a creaky hinge point! Hopefully no bigger ones occur and things start to settle down before any additional damage occurs.

When we are confronted by events like these, over which we have no control, it is understandable that some will react emotionally. I don’t doubt for a minute the reports of those who feel every shake. Where I live, in a non-mountainous area, I have not seen any damage nor felt an aftershock for quite some time. Some may find that nonsensical but it is the simple truth. Not everyone who lives in Chiang Rai lives on an active fault line. I think it is fair to share that.

seismology website has begun showing an increase from the last 5.y in Myammar, to now

the CME's were yesterday, and are earth facing.

the effects should be felt in the coming hours thru friday

be prepared not scared is the motto of the aware

How much shaking did that 3.5 at 12:55 cause in Chiang Rai?

We felt a little shaking in Mae Chan.

Thanks for the heads up.

I was thinking I might need to cut down on the coffee.

Depending on the depth and the breadth (as I'm sure the actress must have said to the bishop at some point in her career), I am now able to calmly, and quite accurately, distinguish anything from 2.5 to about 3.7, anything more than that (depending on the proximity) generates a visceral (gut-level) response.