Martial law scares off tourists, Thai official warns

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Travel insurance being void under martial law doesn't help encourage tourism.

It isn't, unless the claim is as a direct or indirect consequence of the application of martial law.

If you get sick, lose your luggage, get mugged or need to return home following the death of a relative etc. etc, you should still be covered.

If you get involved in a riot, get shot in crossfire or run over by a tank then the exclusion would apply.

EDIT: Sorry, missed post #44 which corroborates my understanding.

It would be nice if it were this simple, However, it seems that different insurance companies may have different views. Thus a spokesperson for the company Travel Insurance Direct says the following.

Am I still covered by my travel insurance?

Usually the imposition of martial law, or the usurping of power by the military, would invoke an exclusion clause in your policy – all bets are off. But what’s happened in Thailand today is a bit different: the aim of the army is to restore peace and order, they’ve left the caretaker government in place, and have explicitly stated it is not a coup – so has power been usurped? At Travel Insurance Direct we think not, therefore we’re not applying the exclusion. We’re continuing to cover you as normal. Remember though, even before martial law was imposed you would not be covered for anything that happened to you if you went and sought out the protests and got involved. That still applies. Don’t deliberately involve yourself in the unrest.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/travel-news/martial-law-in-thailand-travellers-questions-answered/story-fnjjv9zn-1226924230435

It looks as though tourists will need to go through the hassle of checking with their individual company.

From my experience, when a segment of any market (in this case tourists) feels that they are:

A. Being taken advantage of, a.k.a. Being scammed

B. Being regarded as nothing more than a mobile cash machine

C. Victimized and targeted by the police

D. Taken for granted

E. Likely to be assaulted, robbed or extorted

F. Not getting what they perceive is value for their money

, they may reconsider a destination for travel plans. In this case, Thailand has slipped off the vacation radar due to a combination of intentional and unintentional events.

Contradictory statements by various governmental, quasi-governmental and private organizations only adds to the confusion and distrust of their target markets.

Good news, as well as bad, travels rapidly over the Internet highway. At this point, I feel that Thailand is a broken down truck without a tow service in sight.

A severe drop in tourist numbers won't do any harm, quite the opposite in fact, might make those involved in tourism (and that's a lot) appreciate them a bit more.

Edited by Lancashirelad

My brother was coming over this coming weekend from Dubai for a long weekend but has cancelled as he cannot take the chance that if trouble flares up he might find his flight back being delayed like the last time when the yellow shirts took over the airport.

It isn't, unless the claim is as a direct or indirect consequence of the application of martial law.

If you get sick, lose your luggage, get mugged or need to return home following the death of a relative etc. etc, you should still be covered.

If you get involved in a riot, get shot in crossfire or run over by a tank then the exclusion would apply.

It would be nice if it were this simple, However, it seems that different insurance companies may have different views. Thus a spokesperson for the company Travel Insurance Direct says the following.

Usually the imposition of martial law, or the usurping of power by the military, would invoke an exclusion clause in your policy – all bets are off. But what’s happened in Thailand today is a bit different: the aim of the army is to restore peace and order, they’ve left the caretaker government in place, and have explicitly stated it is not a coup – so has power been usurped? At Travel Insurance Direct we think not, therefore we’re not applying the exclusion. We’re continuing to cover you as normal. Remember though, even before martial law was imposed you would not be covered for anything that happened to you if you went and sought out the protests and got involved. That still applies. Don’t deliberately involve yourself in the unrest.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/travel-news/martial-law-in-thailand-travellers-questions-answered/story-fnjjv9zn-1226924230435

It looks as though tourists will need to go through the hassle of checking with their individual company.

Guess you spoke a little too soon...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not really! I was the one who said it was unsafe to assume that the war and insurrection clauses would only apply to claims directly related to those events. I said that individuals should still contact their insurance company to check their view. That is more true than ever now. See my second post above.

Guess you spoke a little too soon...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

BANGKOK - A prominent trade organisation has claimed that the military's declaration of martial law has frightened many potential tourists away from Thailand, where the tourism industry was already facing a prolonged slump due to the political turmoil.........

Well Mr Sisdivachr........there is one way to fix it isn't there.......and the slump in tourists has been coming....

How about you going to all those "leaders of the reds, blues, yellows, greens, pinks"" whatever..... and explain to them how they have/are absolutely stuffing this wonderful country with their ongoing...BS, nonsense, infighting, outfighting, protests, street marches, disruption to millions of peoples lives, suing each other at the drop of the hat etc etc...I could go on.

Don't let them tell you this is the path towards democracy...because they wouldn't even be able to spell the word.

Tell them to start behaving like adults and acting like adults.......instead of the day in day out childlike behaviour they continue to exhibit.

The keywords for your chat to them are:-

"follow due process in an orderly sensible non-feudal manner"..........."think of your great King and your country and your fellow Thais"..........and......"behave like mature adults"

It's just time to vacate Chiang Mai and head back to the village where everyone goes to bed a 9pm and gets up with the chickens. Curfew don't mean much. It will be a nice change of pace. Start getting my garden in for this season.

Martial law will lower foreign tourists by 50% the rest will stay away because of the 10pm to 5 am curfew.

(I find it hard to believe this will really be enforced, maybe just another money squeeze)

Maybe the government will start to appreciate the long term ex-pats who stay through thick and thin

despite the hassles of reporting, visa runs, etc, etc,....

It's just time to vacate Chiang Mai and head back to the village where everyone goes to bed a 9pm and gets up with the chickens. Curfew don't mean much. It will be a nice change of pace. Start getting my garden in for this season.

Not everyone is your age yet.

Martial Law scares away tourists. They just won't come, period

They only ones it doesn't scare is long time Farang residents, who have seen it all before.

I will probably shut my businesses and put all my Thai people out of work if the effect is too bad. I have already been losing money for 5 years so this may just be the straw that broke the camel's back.

That, plus the immigration becoming complete jerks, even for law abiding farangs.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You stay in the wrong country, not good for business, but good for crazy politicians and for more crazy army generals. Thailand is going down the drain.