Phuket police 'to target Patong and airport mafia taxis'

webfact

Phuket police 'to target Patong and airport mafia taxis'
Suthicha Sirirat

1403168095_1-org.jpg

Pol Lt Gen Panya Mamen, Commissioner of Police Region 8.

PHUKET: -- “Mafia” taxi drivers in Patong and at Phuket International Airport are still being targeted, police said today (June 19).

Officers are still going through evidence they have gathered but are confident they will be able to make arrests and seize the illegal assets of “mafia” drivers.

Speaking with The Phuket News today (June 19), Pol Lt Gen Panya Mamen, Commissioner of Police Region 8, said police are also still gathering evidence in the 112 cases that led to arrests of taxi drivers elsewhere at the beginning of this month.

All evidence will be passed to the Anti Money Laundering Office, which, he said, “will seize [the criminal taxi drivers’] assets for sure”.

Once all the criminals are locked up, well-behaved taxi drivers can continue working for a living, he said.

He stressed, however, that relevant officials such as the Phuket Land Transportation Department, must have a role in the new taxi management system.

Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut told The Phuket News, “Taxi drivers who commit crimes are in the minority. But after the arrests are completed, we have to think of different ways to manage the taxi business.

“The managers of the taxi stands might talk with hotels about new ways to organise the industry, possibly with taxi drivers being treated as hotel staff.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-%CA%BBto-target-patong-and-airport-mafia-taxis%E2%80%99-46954.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-19

Can somebody please shut up the governor? He used to say ok things but never do anything, now he can actually do and achieve something but is only talking nonsense.

The governor enabled and pandered to these guys all the while. He knows it and they know it. Now that he's gotta do what the military and police bigwigs tell him to do, he wants to be sure these thugs don't hold it against him personally. "Hey guys, it's not me, really! They made me do it!"
If he totally turned on them now, his retirement would be a short one, and he's browning his boxers. Same as that clown mayor (or whatever he is) in the Surin area. Som nam nah.
  • Like 1

"The managers of the taxi stands might talk with hotels about new ways to organise the industry, possibly with taxi drivers being treated as hotel staff.”

I havnt heard anything this stupid in a long time - the resorts have been trying to get rid of these slobs - he hardly believes there gonna let them in to parade around their lobbies. This Governor is getting dumber as each day passes.

More like desperation setting in as he tries to recover his seed money.during the usual short lived governorship.

"The managers of the taxi stands might talk with hotels about new ways to organise the industry, possibly with taxi drivers being treated as hotel staff.”

I havnt heard anything this stupid in a long time - the resorts have been trying to get rid of these slobs - he hardly believes there gonna let them in to parade around their lobbies. This Governor is getting dumber as each day passes.

More like desperation setting in as he tries to recover his seed money.during the usual short lived governorship.

Yes, the governor, that guy from Surin, Kamala etc. and many others are certainly bleeding cash now as opposed to before when all the illegal activities were allowed to take place.

I wonder why Phuket officials are always taking the side of the taxi mafia. The army should realise the officials on Phuket are even worse criminals than the taxi drivers and if not fire them all, then at least make sure not a single one of them is involved in any new taxi system whatsoever.

Anyway, the governor and other officials should realise that the vast majority of Phuket's population, including virtually all the hotels, hate most if not all the taxi/tuktuk drivers, not just a few bad apples, and noone wants them on their property, and especially not as their "staff". So please stop trying to force these scumbag taxi/tuktuk drivers on us. If the governor loves them so much, then I suggest he invite them all to setup shop on his own property.

• Like 2

Please Please Please Pol Lt Gen Panya Mamen, dont forget the illegal scumbag black taxi drivers that tend to terrorise tourists and local expats in Nay Yang Beach.

Most of these cabs are illegal, always fighting with locals and tourists alike, park their cars on what they deem is their street leaving no spaces for tourists.

While all the clampdown on illegal buildings on the beaches are going on and illegal taxi mafia in the rest of Phuket Pol Lt Gen Panya Mamen is forgetting about the National park that was at Nay Yang...nothing has been done to solve these problems, most likely because the Mayor of Sakhu is probably in with the illegal buiding and taxi Mafia , and the the BIB in the park staition are too busy playing cards.

Help Help Help Pol Lt Gen Panya Mamen

"I wonder why Phuket officials are always taking the side of the taxi mafia." Recall Ann Richards comment about G Bush and his beholdings: "Ya dance with the one that brung ya". Or older "he who pays the piper calls the tune".

and one more thing - wernt all these guys illegal taxi drivers - so hes permitting them to start back working illegally - no license - no proper insurance - no standard?

Your questions sound more like statements.

I'm having a great time these days thinking about how much these corrupt officials are sweating as they worry, worry, about being exposed and jailed. In fact, I imagine there are thousands of corrupt officials, cops, etc. all over Thailand that are sweating as they wonder: "Am I next"?

• Like 1

Again, this 'crackdown' has simply made things more expensive/worse. Yes, if you choose to live in a cheap tourist infested area you can now park your car. Well, whoopee for you. For the time being. however, those of us who reside outside the pit that is now Kata/Karon, and apparently, next targeted Patong (yes, well ...) are finding it increasingly expensive and downright inconvenient. The little years old motosai taxi sala at the end of Sai Yuan has today disappeared. This was most certainly NOT a 'catering to tourist' motosai taxi stand, I've never seen another farang there (so I'm geussing most posters on here couldn't give a rat's), and was convenient for those being dropped off by local bus at the lights next to the 7/11 to get a motosai taxi up Soi Sai Yuan where there are NO public buses.

Once again the hammer to crack a nut has been used without factoring in 'what happens afterwards', resulting in higher prices and more inconvenience, if that were possible. On another note, I see in today's BP people complaining they are unable to find a taxi from Level 3 at Swampy after a 'crackdown' there. Please let me know what possible (and very likely lasting) improvement this waste of time and effort has caused? Governor still there? Still brain dead?. Thinking things through not a Thai trait, apparently.

Land Traffic Act
B.E. 2522 (1979)

Title 12: Taxis

Section 93 (1000B)
Driver of a taxi shall not refuse to accept employment to convey passengers, except when such conveyance is likely to cause danger to himself or the passengers.

In the event of the driver of a taxi does not wish to be employed to convey passengers, a placard shall be displayed.

The manner of the display and the characteristics of the said placard shall be in accordance with the law on automobiles.

Section 94 (1000B)
Driver of a taxi shall not convey passengers in the number exceeding that prescribed in the license under the law on automobiles.

In counting the number of passengers, it shall be regarded that two children not older than ten years of age are equal to one passenger.

Section 95 (1000B)
Anyone shall not:
1. Solicit passengers for a taxi noisily or in a manner being a nuisance to the passengers or other persons
2. Round up, pull, hold back or force persons or their belongings to board any taxi.

Section 96 (500B)
Driver of a taxi shall not charge a fare in excess of the amount registered in the taxi meter.

The characteristics and use of a taxi meter shall be in accordance with the prescriptions in the Ministerial Regulations. (1000B)

Section 97 (500B)
The passengers shall pay a fare according to the amount registered in the taxi meter.

Section 98 (500B)
A royal decree shall be issued to prescribe localities and taxis of every type or certain types to which the provisions of Section 96 and Section 97 shall apply with conditions.

In a locality not governed by the royal decree pursuant to paragraph one, no driver of a taxi shall charge a fare in excess of the amount agreed upon with the passenger and such passenger shall pay the fare in the amount agreed upon.

The provision in paragraph two shall also apply to the taxis of the types not being prescribed in the royal decree pursuant to paragraph one.

Section 99 (1000B)
Driver, while driving a taxi, shall not
1. Smoke, play a radio or act in any manner that is a nuisance to the passengers
2. Extend a hand, arm or any part of the body out of the vehicle, except in displaying signals pursuant to Section 37
3. Control the steering wheel with only one hand, except when necessary
4. Use sound signals when entering into the area of a hospital, office or educational institute
5. Use horn sound signals to press other vehicles
6. Overtake or dash in front of other vehicles haphazardly and dangerously
7. Drive into other person's house area
8. Pick up a passenger in an area prescribed by the traffic officer with a traffic sign prohibiting picking up of passengers
9. Use impolite word, speak sarcastically at, insult, abuse or act in such manner to the passengers or other persons.

Section 100 (2000B and/or 1 month imprisonment)
The driver of a taxi shall convey his passengers through the shortest route or a reasonable detour and shall deliver them at the place agreed upon.

Driver of a taxi shall not forsake his passengers on the way in any circumstance.

Section 101
[The driver of a taxi shall dress in a uniform with an embroidered mark, according to regulations.]

Section 102 (1000B)
[if the Minister specifies a parking space for taxis, taxi drivers must park their taxis there in wait for passengers.]

Again, this 'crackdown' has simply made things more expensive/worse. Yes, if you choose to live in a cheap tourist infested area you can now park your car. Well, whoopee for you. For the time being. however, those of us who reside outside the pit that is now Kata/Karon, and apparently, next targeted Patong (yes, well ...) are finding it increasingly expensive and downright inconvenient. The little years old motosai taxi sala at the end of Sai Yuan has today disappeared. This was most certainly NOT a 'catering to tourist' motosai taxi stand, I've never seen another farang there (so I'm geussing most posters on here couldn't give a rat's), and was convenient for those being dropped off by local bus at the lights next to the 7/11 to get a motosai taxi up Soi Sai Yuan where there are NO public buses.

Once again the hammer to crack a nut has been used without factoring in 'what happens afterwards', resulting in higher prices and more inconvenience, if that were possible. On another note, I see in today's BP people complaining they are unable to find a taxi from Level 3 at Swampy after a 'crackdown' there. Please let me know what possible (and very likely lasting) improvement this waste of time and effort has caused? Governor still there? Still brain dead?. Thinking things through not a Thai trait, apparently.

party poopersmile.pngintheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

Edited by Shot

Why is the clean out taking so long?

If they are gonna do it they would have done it already.

It was announced early on that this would start after July 15th, which is (supposed to be) the court date for those Kata Karon drivers that got locked up.

It was announced early on that this would start after July 15th, which is (supposed to be) the court date for those Kata Karon drivers that got locked up.

Courts will be busy for awhile then.?

Courts will be busy for awhile then.?

Courts busy?

No.....just a lot more adjournments.

• Like 1