Antisocial behaviour.

Asiantravel

I was shopping for bread rolls at big C extra today and picked up a set of tongs to put some in a bag but there was a guy already standing there at the bread stand, so I waited. Then I noticed he looked quite dishevelled. He was in his late 50s or early 60s and was unshaven, his clothes were wet with perspiration and his hair looked greasy and unclean. As I was standing there waiting for him to finish I noticed he was not only picking up various bread rolls with his fingers and then putting them back but he was also flicking some of the bread rolls away with his hand. I also noticed he was quite impatient and somewhat irate as he was doing this.

But then I also realised this was the same merchandise as I was intending to buy so I couldn't keep quiet any longer and said to him, you can use one of these sets of tongs. He immediately responded to me without looking at me “ it's not your <deleted> business “ in an American or Canadian accent! Because he seemed quite impatient I decided to just let it go, although actually it was very much my business because I wanted to buy some of those bread rolls but obviously not after he had touched them with his greasy paws.

I try to avoid confrontation so I simply bought another item. But I wonder why people are like this ?

I'm just curious would anyone have handled the situation in a different way?

• Like 2

Maybe not in a big department store, but when people swear at me for no reason I have been known to deck them no matter how big they are. A hard jab to his kidneys or throat would suffice and when he is moaning in agony explain common courtesy to him. In your situation I think I would have said more than you and then see what he does. If he got threatening then ..... anything is fair.

Never buy food sold this way if you can not wash it before you consume it, if you are so concerned, you just saw what happens all the time.

Did you notice the fly walking on the bread rolls that had just flown in after rummaging around the stinking bins at the back of the store?

Edited by Basil B

100% for sure any open food products like rolls cakes etc have been handled by others.

OP saw 1st hand this happening., but am sure earlier in the day this would have happened time and time again, only unseen by the OP.

I would never never never buy open food products.

Customers breathing their germs all over them.

Nothing could be more risky to ones health.

Never understood why this method of sales is allowed, not only in Thailand, but the UK too.

Also many people enjoy their nuts at the bars. This is also such a unsafe thing. For bread, i prefer Foodland, hence there only the staff touch the foods.

Maybe the Op should have used the tongs to grope for nuts.

100% for sure any open food products like rolls cakes etc have been handled by others.

OP saw 1st hand this happening., but am sure earlier in the day this would have happened time and time again, only unseen by the OP.

Never understood why this method of sales is allowed, not only in Thailand, but the UK too.

Actually it's more risky to live in too sterile an environment. More and more scientific research is pointing to the importance of the micro-biome that envelopes all living things, including humans. People who are not exposed to a variety of bacteria and germs in the normal course of living do not develop a strong immune system and when they get hit with something really nasty are less able to fight it off. They are also more apt to develop various allergies to common foodstuffs and environmental allergens as well, which can sometimes be life threatening to themselves and their offspring.

• Like 1

He must have learned that trick from watching Thai people, when they are shopping!

You shouldnt have taken anything from the guy, just hit him, or if your afraid, then go to the manager and complain, he might laugh, but then you could hit him too. Why not just go nuts and attack everyone within sight!

Seriously, people handle food all the time in the stores, just have to get used to it. You should watch the chicken parts in Makro, Thai's love to go through, and search for the best looking leg, wing, or whatever.

• Like 2

Just a sideline: It has been investigated that peanuts or pop-corn offered in bars for common use end up with 75 different urine-residues. whistling.gif

The urine of a healthy person is basically sterile...or at least doesn't contain anything pathogenic.

And so far as I know, urine does not have 75 different residues. Now, the kidneys?

To the OP, it's the same system at the Foodlands in BKK, but to make you feel safe the staff wear latex gloves and face masks when you hand them your selection.

Worse still, I've seen 'catering staff' (NOT Foodland I hasten to add) smoking cigarettes during breaks while still wearing their latex serving gloves.

I worked in the butchers department of a very large supermarket, albeit many moons ago. I had friends who worked in a bakery. If you knew what went into sausages when they are being made on the premises, or bread rolls, loaves, cakes, tarts, pies then you'd become a vegetarian. That said a young guy I worked with used to work "backstage" at a major supermarket and when thing were quiet they all played football with melons or grapefruits. If you knew what went into the soup at a restaurant you'd never order it, or the sauce for your fish or steak. We've all been eating mountains of this contaminated rubbish for donkeys years and we're still here. Of course, actually seeing someone pawing at the food you might buy turns the stomach. What you can't see can't hurt you.

• Like 2

Personally, I would not attempt a direct approach with someone who looks like a lunatic. Report to the supermarket management and ask to buy bread that has not already been contaminated.

good luck with that one

• Like 1

I never buy bread that is not already packed. Too many dirty retarded monkeys around///

Now just a moment... as a member-in-good-standing of the Pattaya Dirty Retarded Monkey Association (P.D.R.M.A), I can not allow your comment to go un-challenged! Why not come to a meeting, before passing judgement so arbitrarily? 5th Tuesday of every month (and thanks again to Friendship Supermarket for allowing us to meet in their palatial basement function room!) with monkey bread after.

post-72929-0-17808400-1403854696_thumb.j

• Like 1

Even in some of the best hotels all over the world, the guests wake up to a buffet breakfast and people seem to be able to behave appropriately in those situations. There is nothing wrong with this method of presenting and serving food as long as people have consideration for others

Edited by Asiantravel

Even in some of the best hotels all over the world, the guests wake up to a buffet breakfast and people seem to be able to behave appropriately in those situations. There is nothing wrong with this method of presenting and serving food as long as people have consideration for others

True, most do but affluence does not itself protect against dirty habits.

Wasn't that French Guy (who seems to be in charge of that section) around ?

But thinking about this, what could he have done ?

Throw away all the bread that Guy touched ? Not likely IMHO

Edited by MJCM