How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

Geez, do you have reading comprehension issues? For the umpteenth time, "farang" is not a "slang racial term." It is a Thai word which refers to people of European descent. It has nothing to do with skin color. It is no different than the words Caucasian, Asian, or Hispanic. What part of that do you not understand?

When referring about Hispanic people or a Hispanic person, you use it in the context I just have "people or person." Same as Thai person or Thai people. You wouldn't individually call someone Hispanic. "Hey, Hispanic, sit here"

Your point doesn't add up.

You're confused. Both words would be used in the same way in its spoken language. But if you're going to mix Thai and English words, then it's going to sound awkward. It seems every example that you guys present never makes any sense. But really, what's your point? Are you trying to get Thais to stop using their own word? Good luck with that.

Yes, you can do it, and a good way to start is to not use the term yourself, and let the Thais know that we in fact prefer to not be referred to as "farang" whitey in every possible situation.

You haven't read through have you that why you make such an ignorant daft comment.

Geesu how many more Thai basher are there.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're confused. Both words would be used in the same way in its spoken language. But if you're going to mix Thai and English words, then it's going to sound awkward. It seems every example that you guys present never makes any sense. But really, what's your point? Are you trying to get Thais to stop using their own word? Good luck with that.

Yes, you can do it, and a good way to start is to not use the term yourself, and let the Thais know that we in fact prefer to not be referred to as "farang" whitey in every possible situation.

Even for a Farang you don't know much about Thailand or the Farang who live in Thailand. All the Farang I know including when Farang are talking to other Farang or wives of Farang or referring to home as ban Farang no one minds being called Farang. Hope that helped your Farang education in Thailand.

Yours,

Another Farang.

(10 times in 3 short sentences! Not bad.) Can anyone do better?

The above comment brought tears to my foreign eyes.

Try "dam dam" or 'dam pit pee" as a reply.

It means "very dark skin"

Better pronounced dumb,dumb =being dark!

dark or in fact black is pronounced as 'dtam' and 'pit' means wrong as someone pointed out. Pi means cousin or ghost depending on how you say it, 'naa-pi' means ugly or literally ghost face.

Anyone get annoyed when a Farang says Falang when they are talking about a Farang in Thailand when we know it should be pronounced Farang, even though most Thais say Falang 'cause they can't roll their arrrrs,

Sorry Thailiketoo, you win. I only managed five in one sentence.w00t.gif

"Even for a Farang you don't know much about Thailand or the Farang who live in Thailand. All the Farang I know including when Farang are talking to other Farang or wives of Farang or referring to home as ban Farang no one minds being called Farang. Hope that helped your Farang education in Thailand.

Yours,
Another Farang.

(10 times in 3 short sentences! Not bad.) Can anyone do better?"

Well it's not the total number but the relative frequency that counts. You used Farang 10 times out of 58 words according to my count, for a relative frequency of 17.2%.

Today I went for my morning yogurt and soda and my pal Somchai's shop. On entry Somchai's son said, "ฝรั่งมา. ฝรั่งนั่ง.", ie: "Farang Come, Farang Sit". For a relative frequency of 50%. Can anyone beat that?

You haven't read through have you that why you make such an ignorant daft comment.

I am not a Thai basher, I totally believe Thais are able to understand that racism is not good, and that we "whiteys" prefer to not be called "farang" in every possible situation.

Many foreigners on the other hand, do believe Thais are retarded and enjoys being the clown "farang" as they see Thai culture as non-harmful and childlike stupid and innocent.

If Thai culture would be considered superior/intelligent over most other western countries, way less Western foreigners would enjoy the status of being the "whitey", and way more foreigners would question it.

I am not a Thai basher, I totally believe Thais are able to understand that racism is not good, and that we "whiteys" prefer to not be called "farang" in every possible situation.

Many foreigners on the other hand, do believe Thais are retarded and enjoys being the clown "farang" as they see Thai culture as non-harmful and childlike stupid and innocent.

If Thai culture would be considered superior/intelligent over most other western countries, way less Western foreigners would enjoy the status of being the "whitey", and way more foreigners would question it.

Total rolox........rolleyes.gif When I go to a function and sing my music I first quote " Farang Plain"...Which means Western song.....Everybody understands..................coffee1.gif

What if they called you carbon based life form,because they like to call us aliens in she wanna boom airport when ariving.

Unless you are Thai, then in Thailand you are an alien!

Dictionary.com

Alien, noun

1. a resident born in or belonging to another country who has not acquired citizenship by naturalization (distinguished from citizen ).

2. a foreigner.

Edited by 7by7

What if they called you carbon based life form,because they like to call us aliens in she wanna boom airport when ariving.

Unless you are Thai, then in Thailand you are an alien!

Dictionary.com

Alien, noun

1. a resident born in or belonging to another country who has not acquired citizenship by naturalization (distinguished from citizen ).

2. a foreigner.

I always thought 'alien' was a mistranslation.

manut tang dow = person from another land (mai tow tone mark on dow)

manut tang dow = person from another star (no tone mark on dow)

So a Thai person using a Thai - English dictionary and missing off a tone mark, would mistakenly translate foreigner to alien.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I'm trying to demonstrate by the repeated use of the word Farang by a Farang that it is not a racist term. Since Farang feel at home using the Farang ipso facto it must not be an insulting word.

Idiot, ignoramus, dummy, septic tank, jerk, dunce, <deleted> or a****** are insults. White guy is not really much of an insult.

Go to a school and line up three equal in rank teachers, white, brown and black; now tell me who gets paid the most? Have a Thai beauty contest and look at the lady who wins; normally the whitest one there. Now given those peculiarities about Thai culture why would I be upset being called a white guy?

Many people have moved to Thailand because of being fed up with political correctness in their home country,why the need to be so sensetive about the word farang being used in a country where political correctness is non excistant jeez....

• Like 1

Anyone get annoyed when a Farang says Falang when they are talking about a Farang in Thailand when we know it should be pronounced Farang, even though most Thais say Falang 'cause they can't roll their arrrrs,

Nice attempt to turn this month's 'is "farang" racist?' topic into this month's 'If you swap the 'r' for an 'l' in Thai, that means you married a bar girl' thread. We need these to be combined.

• Like 1

does not bother me at all and never has for last 30+ years. Ive been called uncle forang often in villages. Problem is westerners take it as an insult same as Alian when at immigration. Actually it means anyone white from west with white skin excludes Japanese. Their are other words for indians japanese etc

now stupid forang i might object or fat ugly forang

people are just to sensitive

thais understand nothing of the sort. and i dont know any whiteys that agree with you.

Funny this. My wife and her family/friends speak about farangs constantly. I mean, every other word is ...farang. I play a little game with her...when we go shopping and see a farang, I tug on my wife's arm and point, while saying..."Hey look...farang..farang!!!" She says...."You are not polite, do not say farang."

• Like 1