Help please! Package stuck at customs/Thai FDA

Hey this isnt strictly a business topic, but it seems to fit best in this forum.

I bought some health supplements from an american fitness store, 10,000 baht total.

The order was multivitamins, fish oil, joint supplements, etc. A 3 month personal supply.

Right now it's stuck at thai customs for some anal reasons about the daily RDA values being too high. The FDA will not allow Fedex to import it. Fedex says it can't do anything and wants me to abandon the shipment unless I can find another 'customs broker' with a licence to import it.

Does anyone know where I can find one? Or any other way of getting this shipment in the country? It's a lot of money to just abandon.

Unfortunately with Fedex acting as a go-between, I haven't spoke to the FDA directly, which perhaps is preventing any 'special fines' which could solve the problem.

I'm at a bit of a dead end. Anyone know what I can do?

Edited by razorramone

It seems that the product is actually being refused as it is stronger than allowed by law. I think you will be best off abandoning it and then next time ensure that the goods you order meet the laws of this country.

• Like 2

I remember that you open a different topic for the same case. Might have been useful to leave it there. As many have mentioned it is a hit and miss. The supplements you ordered, as all supplements, require a FDA license. This to acquire is not easy. I think the best way to move forward is to call or go to the airport customs with somebody Thai speaking and try to clear the package directly without involving FedEx. FedEx is known for clearing according to law for all their items. Therefore you will not receive any assistants from them. By going to the customs and pleading your case you might have a chance to get it out by paying a small fine and the duties and taxes for the import.

To find a customs broker with the right relations to customs might be hard to come by.

As mentioned by others do sign or agree verbally to clear, destroy or abandon your shipment. This will force FedEx to keep it in their possession. Not forever but quite a long time.

This will give you some room to try and clear it yourself.

FDA itself will most likely not be helpful in this case either as they will want to receive samples for testing, etc. way to expensive and time wasting and will cost app. THB 30.000 onwards so that you might be able to receive a license under a company name.

Sorry to say but try it yourself and if no luck with that you might really want to consider abandoning.

It seems that the product is actually being refused as it is stronger than allowed by law. I think you will be best off abandoning it and then next time ensure that the goods you order meet the laws of this country.

But it's not...

You can see the exact same products, with the same nutritional values in GNC, boots, etc.

They all have higher nutritional values than the RDA. You cant get a multivit that doesnt break several RDAs. Also note that a lot of the values are completely abritary, especially for things like fish oil or joint support where there really isn't an 'upper limit'.

I guess I can try and get a reference number and location from fedex, and go there myself. I just dont want to go and they refer me to fedex, because they're technically the appointed customs broker.

Edited by razorramone

I've generally found that if health/nutritional supplements are shipped by U.S.P.S (from the States) then the box isn't even examined, even when the contents are declared. The down-side is that it takes longer to arrive (and sometimes people say items wander off).

• Like 1

Seems like you've only got one choice unless you want to walk away from it. I've had to deal with 2 issues with customs in the past year. Both were relatively easy to resolve. But they didn't involved supplements. They take these things quite seriously. Worth a visit to see what's up. I've found the staff to be firm, but fair. No under the table money. Everything was above board.

I had an issue like that with "FedEx Thailand" once, with their "in house customs agents." They suggested I "abandon" the goods when a conflict arose over the amount of duty and I refused to pay it. Yeah right, just hand the goods over to the people who are causing the problem so they can sell the goods and make a nice tidy profit! I don't think so!

I told them to all off (have untercourse with themselves) and return the shipment to sender immediately at no charge or I would go right to the top of FedEx in the US. One of the benefits of FedEx is that if the package cannot be delivered for ANY REASON, they return to sender free. My package (actually, it was three giant cartons) was returned and I did not pay them one stinking baht. There is absolutely no reason to EVER abandon a FedEx shipment -- unless, of course, the box i filled with marijuana or something like that. The people on here that are telling you to abandon, as usual, are giving advice they know nothing about.

So I suggest you ORDER them to return it to sender for credit and next time, listen to the people on TV about this stuff:

Never, never, never ship this sort of thing with FedEx, UPS or DHL. Only ship it through the post office, and preferably, whoever is shipping will tone it down with a logo free box. If you can get a friend to ship it, he or she can include some other items and "tone down" the customs reporting with a few ambiguities (don't ever lie). I never pay tax and I always get my stuff.

By the way, I don't think it is the real FedEx that is telling you to abandon, it is the Thai side of it, the "in house customs" agents or some other intermeddler that is hoping to profit, FedEx in the US would never put up with this nonsense and I don't know why they let the Thais get away with soiling their otherwise good name. I NEVER use FedEx for ANYTHING connected with Thailand and I get a 75% discount off the scheduled shipping rates! I wouldn't use FedEx for a shipment to Thailand if the shipping was free!

Edited by noendtoit
  • Like 2

I can't help with the OP's current problem.

But, for the future, two things:

1. As noted, avoid the private couriers like FedEx, DHL, etc and instead use USPS or a reshipper in the U.S. like Shipito.

2. To avoid or lessen the amount any Thai duty likely to be assessed, keep any single shipment's value to a much lower amount, preferably not more than 1000 baht in value. That typically will qualify as a "small package" exemption that's not subject to any duty at all.

It probably was the overall 10K value of your shipment in this case that resulted in it getting flagged into the Thai FDA regulations nightmare. People here send smaller shipments of vitamins and supplements all the time, and usually don't have problems.

Update: I asked Fedex to give me the location and any import reference so I can import it myself/deal with customs directly. They refused, saying this is not procedure and its impossible to do by myself. Does this sound legit?

From my experience with FedEx in the US (absolutely stellar) and these folks in BKK, I suspect they aren't FedEx at all (in BKK), but some kind of agents. They are real a$$holes. If I were you, I would ORDER them to return to sender immediately under FedEx's free return policy. No compromise, just return it NOW! Then take it up with the retailer that sold you the goods. Most US retailers are pretty good about returns, though they will probably not refund the shipping cost. Ask them to resend it through the mail. or better yet, if you have any relative in the US that will cooperate, send it to them and have them resend it to you by post with a "creative" declaration.

Don't Use FedEx, UPS or DHL fr shipments to Thailand -- not ever. Consider your lost shipping costs as tuition in the school of hard knocks.