Age gap in a relationship, how comfortable are you?

Somsrisonphimai

Somsrisonphimai, I've told you before I admire your command of written English. I also think I understand your query. Great age differences do present problems with having something in common. However, many April-December relationships are monetary, at least at first. Having as little as enough to eat, or being able to buy a new cellphone may be enough to convince a young girl to be with an older man. However, if there are additional perks, like he will send her to school, take care of her family, or buy her a house; many younger women will accept an older male. The problem is if the relationship is based solely on remuneration; then, the young girl may seek a younger male for companionship and for something more in common. However, if the old man can make the girl smile, can give her a different view on life, can show her things she never knew existed, and can really make the girl believe he cares for her, she may actually be able to like the old geezer. The problem here is trust and common objectives. If the girl simply wants a temporary relationship to get her hands on some money; or if the old man simply wants a temporary relationship to get his hands on the young girl; they are destined for failure. Let’s face it; if she is receptive and he is inventive; having something in common may be as simple as showing her new things and guiding her to experience new feelings. I suggest the older man take the younger girl back to his home country. The only complaints will be from the older women, the older men will be envious. The real good will be the new experiences to which the girl is exposed. I also suggest the older man encourage the girl to continue her education, especially if he can help her with her studies as well as with the tuition. She gains knowledge, confidence, and a certain respect for the man who is intelligent, self-sufficient, and really wants to help her. It’s a two-way street. If both want more than a temporary satisfaction, both have to be flexible, amenable to change, and both have to want to try.

I spent 3 hours reading the responses, some of them were quite funny and some of them were quite defensive, but the above response by far was genuine and made the most sense.
  • Like 1

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is 18 years younger than me.  Am I bovered ?   Is anyone else bovered ?   Is it anyone else's business to be bovered ?

In every country young women look for security in a relationship, which normally means looking for a kind, reliable man with a good income in order that he will be able to take care of her properly as the future unfolds.  Now; you can wrap up the thinking anyway you choose but young Thai women are looking for the same things, it's just that they often see a quicker route to what they want through an older, more established man instead of linking up with a young, possibly unreliable man with an unknown future income.

It's not exactly a unique concept when you bear in mind how many rich Western Superstar men like Film Stars, Politicians and the like get much younger women chasing them for what ?  The whole point is it's not about love it's about money. Love is something you build together later through mutual respect and understanding, regardless of age gaps.

• Like 1

What 2 people take on in a relationship is between them 2 nothing to do with anyone else.

BTW many kids are brought up without any fathers.

Funny after this thread I will be looking around at peoples reaction when out with my Thai daughter.biggrin.png

The relationship is an exchange between two people, whatever the exchange might be, it is between them, I don't really want to know.

All I want to know is how comfortable are they when they stepping out together. I guess as long as they don't care the gossiping, the eyeballing, and the labeling, they should be comfortable stepping out as a couple.

I have never run into a couple that were uncomfortable stepping out together regardless of how uncomfortable some old biddy felt it her duty to try and make them. Now as far as Thailand is concerned that is certainly a non starter.

Yeah, what is the alternative?

Go back to the West and live in a cold water flat and eat beans with vegemite or whatever it is that you people eat. 

My wife is 18 years younger than me.  Am I bovered ?   Is anyone else bovered ?   Is it anyone else's business to be bovered ?

In every country young women look for security in a relationship, which normally means looking for a kind, reliable man with a good income in order that he will be able to take care of her properly as the future unfolds.  Now; you can wrap up the thinking anyway you choose but young Thai women are looking for the same things, it's just that they often see a quicker route to what they want through an older, more established man instead of linking up with a young, possibly unreliable man with an unknown future income.

It's not exactly a unique concept when you bear in mind how many rich Western Superstar men like Film Stars, Politicians and the like get much younger women chasing them for what ?  The whole point is it's not about love it's about money. Love is something you build together later through mutual respect and understanding, regardless of age gaps.

What a fantastic idea.....if about 100 years out of date.

sadly most people are not able to reg=cognise a real relationship.....most of the ones I see with a huge age difference involve sexual and other exploitation and dominance by the male.

how many wealthy young women ever marry a man 20 years or more their senior?

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Just put it in perspective....how many 20 year old men date women in their 60s?

Highly unlikely, but if they do what would be the reason?

Expensive gifts or cash, the same as women.

sounds like you need to review your ideas one relationships.....

i am 70 year old and my wife is 23 year old we are married for four year now and we have a 14 month baby,we are very happy and spend 100% of are time together
we have no problem at all,before i was living whit a 40 year old women and she was  really bad after we start living toughter,i live her and was not ready to make a serious relation so soon, but my wife show up and it was a dream life so i married her,my wife love me for real no play game there,she never ask for anything and the best of all she as no more relation whit her all family...
so now what your guy are going to said!

70/23 = 3+ = GROSS

Maybe you're an obese, bald, ugly, foul smelling, foul mouthed, intellectually challenged falang, so who are you to judge?

It doesn't matter if I am any of the above, which I am not.  Society judges that and I am in agreement with societies all over the world.

Take a poll of people around the world and Thailand to see if they think that arrangement is normal or even acceptable.  The only reason that they even exist or are tolerated is for financial gain / stability.

If it was just between two consenting adults that is one thing.  But in the situation above there is a 14 month old baby involved.  When the kid is 18 the dad will be 87.  Does that seem like a normal healthy upbringing for a kid?

Why is "normal" so important?

Just put it in perspective....how many 20 year old men date women in their 60s?

Highly unlikely, but if they do what would be the reason?

Expensive gifts or cash, the same as women.

sounds like you need to review your ideas one relationships.....

Are you dense? I was responding to the question re the reason a young 20 year old guy might date a 60 year old woman. If you can come up with a better reason that the one I mentioned, let's hear it.

Maybe you're an obese, bald, ugly, foul smelling, foul mouthed, intellectually challenged falang, so who are you to judge?

It doesn't matter if I am any of the above, which I am not.  Society judges that and I am in agreement with societies all over the world.

Take a poll of people around the world and Thailand to see if they think that arrangement is normal or even acceptable.  The only reason that they even exist or are tolerated is for financial gain / stability.

If it was just between two consenting adults that is one thing.  But in the situation above there is a 14 month old baby involved.  When the kid is 18 the dad will be 87.  Does that seem like a normal healthy upbringing for a kid?

No, and it's not normal for women to be left holding the baby (literally) without any financial (or any other kind) support from the father, but it happens here and in a lot of other countries as well. As long as the falang father in question provides for his child, now and after he's deceased, where's the damage done? If you're going to base your criticisms/opinions on what society deems normal or acceptable, you're just a sheep. Societies values differ from one culture to the next, from one decade to the next. Thank god some of us have minds of our own. 

My opinions are based on my experiences and up bringing.  I am fortunate enough to still have a dad who is alive and well and was there for my childhood is still there for me. 

The damage done is that a fatherless child is less likely to succeed.  Why would anyone put a kid in a situation where that is a likely outcome?  It is selfish to do so.

Anyone who has acquired the financial means to support a kid (for 18 years) will obviously understand the importance of actually raising a kid.

• Like 1

No, and it's not normal for women to be left holding the baby (literally) without any financial (or any other kind) support from the father, but it happens here and in a lot of other countries as well. As long as the falang father in question provides for his child, now and after he's deceased, where's the damage done? If you're going to base your criticisms/opinions on what society deems normal or acceptable, you're just a sheep. Societies values differ from one culture to the next, from one decade to the next. Thank god some of us have minds of our own. 

My opinions are based on my experiences and up bringing.  I am fortunate enough to still have a dad who is alive and well and was there for my childhood is still there for me. 

The damage done is that a fatherless child is less likely to succeed.  Why would anyone put a kid in a situation where that is a likely outcome?  It is selfish to do so.

Anyone who has acquired the financial means to support a kid (for 18 years) will obviously understand the importance of actually raising a kid.

You never seem to respond to points made but go off on another tangent, everything based on your perfect childhood. What about the thousands of young Thai women that have their children out of wedlock, then dump them on a rellie, mum, auntie etc, to raise. Want to comment on the thousands of single mothers in the US, Britain etc raising children in poverty? Yet you seem to single out this one 70 year old who is providing for his child, now and probably in the future, as the most irresponsible of people. It's not a perfect world, accept it.

• Like 1

Personally I don't think I would want a massive age gap, Mrs T is 6 years younger than me, which Is fine. However, maybe I should have a 20 year old Mia Noi, to make me fit in laugh.png

I always go for older women, when I was a young guy I went out with a 40 y.o Thai lady, I was 23 & did she teach me a thing or two.........but that's perhaps for another time.

I wonder if she's still alive ? tongue.png
Lol, my first Asian GF was a Singaporean Nurse, I was 19 and she was 27. It was a good learning experience.

I remember the days when I use to perve on the young girls, now I. checking out their grandmothers & still getting some serious wood.

Love chatting up the old gurls in the old grandma and grandpa shops......especially when grandpa is out.

I prefer women without Teeth. tongue.png

You be careful, they can give you a nasty suck!

You never seem to respond to points made but go off on another tangent, everything based on your perfect childhood. What about the thousands of young Thai women that have their children out of wedlock, then dump them on a rellie, mum, auntie etc, to raise. Want to comment on the thousands of single mothers in the US, Britain etc raising children in poverty? Yet you seem to single out this one 70 year old who is providing for his child, now and probably in the future, as the most irresponsible of people. It's not a perfect world, accept it.

I will comment on that specifically.  There are millions of people worldwide that have no financial means or desire to actually raise a child, but they have them anyway.  They do it because they are likely uneducated, selfish, or do not think about the consequences.

Suggesting that because millions of others do something wrong makes it right for others to do is nonsense.

The major difference between the person in poverty and the 70 year old in question above, is that the person above does know better and understands the consequences.

I will comment on that specifically.  There are millions of people worldwide that have no financial means or desire to actually raise a child, but they have them anyway.  They do it because they are likely uneducated, selfish, or do not think about the consequences.

Suggesting that because millions of others do something wrong makes it right for others to do is nonsense.

The major difference between the person in poverty and the 70 year old in question above, is that the person above does know better and understands the consequences.

I never said it was the perfect scenario, but it's certainly by far the lesser of two evils. The only criticism that's being levelled at him is his advanced age and that he may be dead before his child reaches 18. Boo, Hoo. My goodness, is that child (teenager whatever) going to be scarred for life? I doubt it. One could argue that two gays/lesbians raising a child isn't the norm, but as long as that child is loved and nurtured, where's the harm? I think there's some very narrow views on life and the world on this forum.

• Like 1

i am 70 year old and my wife is 23 year old we are married for four year now and we have a 14 month baby,we are very happy and spend 100% of are time together
we have no problem at all,before i was living whit a 40 year old women and she was  really bad after we start living toughter,i live her and was not ready to make a serious relation so soon, but my wife show up and it was a dream life so i married her,my wife love me for real no play game there,she never ask for anything and the best of all she as no more relation whit her all family...
so now what your guy are going to said!

70/23 = 3+ = GROSS

Hugh 86, Crystal 26 .........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Hefner

Let's not beat around the bush.  It's lust that attracts older guys to a 20 year old rather than somebody their own age.  After all, why would you settle for stretchmarks and menopause when you could have pert and trim and barely-used.  Maybe later genuine emotions develop but the attraction that makes you seek out that initial contact with somebody half your age is based on lust and a specific desire to achieve the highest calibre of mate that you are able to.  Which is fair enough, as long as you don't try and dress it up as something more pure.

People who think that 20-something Thai girls prefer a 60 year old to somebody their own age are deluded.  That's not to say they can't be happy together.  I'm talking about first impressions.

To answer the OP more specifically, it's less accepted in the UK and Europe.  There's a stigma associated with it.  People in the UK are very prudish and self-righteous, they love to brand somebody a pervert.  Generally speaking.

In the US it's OK if you are very rich ie Hugh Heffner.

Its not about society accepting, tolerating or condoning nor about little or anything in the way of common interests.

Money is the "common denominator".  See how many of those much younger ex rice farmers or non ex rice farmers would stick around were it not for financial support.

Had an interesting conversation and played a few games of pool with a charming late 20s employee while checking out alone (GF was working) a recently opened pub/restaurant on Suk Soi 7 on a slow afternoon last week. She bemoaned the relentless day-in day-out work ethic required of those of her ilk in BKK. Yet as a rice farmer's daughter she'd done nicely enough for *herself* thank you very much for coming farangs. In 7 years she'd produced enough disposable income to rent a Bangkok apartment, and fund building a decent house back home for her parents - to become hers later, plus the obligatory car and motorcycle. Oh, and had I been on the market a not too subtle invitation was extended to eat with her after work and let her start teaching me thai. Mmm.

Disclosure: me - 65 white male and still working, the Thai GF 41 from non-farming family in Isaan, with a uni degree, lost everything even custody of her daughter after divorcing her thai philandering husband 5 years ago. My previous marriage to a westerner 4 years younger than me lasted 40 years. So yes, I am the same age as the GF's parents, and she is 5 years older than my son. Stated in those terms it sounds gross enough I agree. But during my attendance at her sister's village wedding our age difference appeared not to bother the successful extended family, all of them teachers.

Having just arrived back in Aussie today after spending 4 weeks in BKK with my new lady, and after reading this thread, gee, one starts to wonder. By the way, not once was I asked for money, but when you see a need how can you not volunteer to pay for things like lasik surgery, even when such a thing is not even on her radar. But building up a fruit orchard and house from the get-go on the small rice paddy "farm" she owns is on the menu, even if I believe she is only dreaming. I dunno anymore.

Let's not beat around the bush.  It's lust that attracts older guys to a 20 year old rather than somebody their own age.  After all, why would you settle for stretchmarks and menopause when you could have pert and trim and barely-used.  Maybe later genuine emotions develop but the attraction that makes you seek out that initial contact with somebody half your age is based on lust and a specific desire to achieve the highest calibre of mate that you are able to.  Which is fair enough, as long as you don't try and dress it up as something more pure.

People who think that 20-something Thai girls prefer a 60 year old to somebody their own age are deluded.  That's not to say they can't be happy together.  I'm talking about first impressions.

To answer the OP more specifically, it's less accepted in the UK and Europe.  There's a stigma associated with it.  People in the UK are very prudish and self-righteous, they love to brand somebody a pervert.  Generally speaking.

Right! Stigma my ar*e, it shows you've made it. I've never seen any US headlines saying how disgusting Donald Trump (68) is for dating women more than 40 years his junior. It's just an accepted fact that if you have the money you can buy what you like, attractive young women included. It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, it's a fact of life, women are attracted to wealth and power.

In Thailand it's all relative. We can all be Playboys!

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't know why most of the people responding to this OP do not take it seriously. I am in a 66/36 y.o. relationship. I don't have a problem with our age difference. I have a problem that other people are judgemental about us - as most of the people who made facetious replies to the OP. Sure, I can say that it doesn't bother me what other people think - but that doesn't change the fact that people show contempt towards us. Contrary to what I was told about traditional Thai society having a lot of respect for old people, the reality is that young people in Thailand - much like young people in most parts of the world - are concerned about being modern and hip, about being known to like the trash that they call music, about their modern drugs and being a player and having showy clothes and cars and desireable women - to show they are better than other people. They respect old people who hobble around the village and light incense at the Wat and don't make any noise.  

This is the world that exists for me to live in. The values that I knew when I was young, the kind fo music that had meaning - I have no intention of changing them in order to be acceptable to people. I am not going to dress the way modern people dress or try to dance the way they dance, or own a car that would impress modern people. That would be dishonest. I am with my lady because we love each other and we are happy together. I am not happy when people show by their talk or their looks that they think she is a paid woman, or that they could take her away from me. I am insecure thinking about taking her back to the U.S.A. We together would be fine. But her getting through the the visa process to start with - customs people assuming I am taking her to America to pimp her, and we have to convince them we are genuine; and after all that expense and delays and trouble, we would face an American public that would be even more hostile to our marriage than Thai people are. It does not give me any comfort that American women of my age would hate us because they know they cannot compete. It will be a problem that young men think they can take her away from me - and want to try, just to prove how belligerent they are. At the supermarket, at the auto repair shop, at the appliance stores, people are going to be winking and snickering and talking trash. And BTW it is an insult to say, "I wonder how much he pays her," anywhere, any culture, any time.  To be belligerent back to them does not make for harmony in our relationship. 

This happens to anyone who marries outside of his circle of people, marries a person of a different color, or different religion - being involved with someone whose first language - or second language is different than the locals' ....  different social cast, or different sex - there are people who will welcome her and be prepared to love her and others who will treat her like she is "not our kind."  A country girl without guile who just wants to be a good person and be happy with her man, not a threat to anyone else's happiness.

The question that was raised is does anyone have advice, from experience, on living in a marriage with a big difference of ages. Does anyone have anything to contribute?

I am sure all the 66 year old grandmas will be falling down in jealousy that they can't have you. You sound completely insane - maybe those viagra are melting your brain?

I was in a shop in the UK with my 20 year old step-daughter recently, she was buying some perfume for her sister and I some for my wife. The Singaporean assistant said to me, "What about your wife?" Can't say I was upset with her question and my step daughter thought it was a hoot. She has previously ask me if I would go to a party with her so I guess I'm ageing well.

The 24 million American sons and daughters growing up without fathers are not all doomed.

Successful men who have grown up without a father: President Obama and Bill Clinton, for two easy examples. I could also mention Aristotle, John Hancock, Gerald Ford, Thomas Jefferson, Frederick Douglas, Stephen King and a fraternity of other historical heroes.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/06/03/what-are-fathers-for/when-children-are-better-off-fatherless

What 2 people take on in a relationship is between them 2 nothing to do with anyone else.

BTW many kids are brought up without any fathers.

Funny after this thread I will be looking around at peoples reaction when out with my Thai daughter.biggrin.png

See my post #326

I'm not rich and I have always had younger wives in the USA.  Young men were usually jealous.  Fact of life.  When I was a young man in Thailand (1960's) I was jealous of old guys with beautiful young women.  Now I'm an old guy in Thailand and young guys are jealous of me.  So to young guys and old biddies my words of wisdom, "  wink.png Get over it."

Edited by thailiketoo