Told at the airport this will be my last visit on a 30 day visa to Thailand

If any foreigner visits US and Europe and did the same thing, immigration would question you as well, if you are married they will also give you a warning to get your spousal visa. Why can the law be applied in foreign first world countries but not here in the land of frowns?

Mutatis mutandis, I don't believe OP would qualify for settlement in the UK if he were only present 150 days a year. (He'd probably also fall foul of the minimum income income requirement on his wife.) On the other hand, he might be acceptable as a tourist - though the UK law is also extremely vague on this.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me offer a solution. First month in Thailand, free. Second and subsequent months pay 10,000 baht. Stay as long as you want, and keep your nose clean. Pay at a 711 or cop shop. Gee, the Thai gov could sack 90% of the immig dept 'workforce'.

I also work outside of Thailand (mostly) but a one-year extension based on marriage and then a multi entry permit is the way to go. No problems with this one

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

if you don't contribute they don't want you here, sitting in a bar all day doesn't count, get a proper visa it ain't that difficult...

So falkan what would the proper visa be? I am married but only by monks and no papers signed. Usually come in visa exempt as only here 26 days then back out 6 times a year. What visa applies? Visa on arrival? Cost of such visa?

Falkan & all the rest who are telling us to :"get the right visa, it's easy" etc don't know anything about our FIFO lifestyle & certainly can't suggest an appropriate visa. We all have differing priorities, I'll have a go at getting a retirement visa, others may try some kind of non-immigrant /investment/marriage visa arrangement but I think that there will be many who will end up taking R&R elswhere.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Stailmanki

For years I entered Thailand on a rotational basis using only the Visa exempt entry.

As soon as I hit the big 50, I went straight onto Non Imm O for reasons of retirement.

For yourself and all the other rotational workers, if you at that age, this is the route that I would recommend.

Because, and I just know you all won't like this, but the real reason for these draconian new rules is that they want to rid thailand of it's well deserved reputation as the sex tourist capital of the world, and in true Thai style, instead of enforcing the prostitution laws, they are targetting the end user. After all, some years back they stated that 'if the sex tourists didn't come here, there would be no prostitution'. And you all can jump up and down as much as you like but anyone who's been here for any length of time knows this is typical Thai problem solving - blame the farang.

So to all those bleating about 'proper visas' and condemning as 'undesirable' those who are unable, under the current rules, to obtain one, it is the likes of those of you filling the beer bars at Cowboy/Patpong/Patong/Walking street who have actually made things difficult for everyone else in this catch all policy. Well done.dry.png

Well done indeed... I have not been in hooker bar for many a long month. really not my bag ( but thanks for the pigeon hole)

You don't go to normal bars ? Robin Hood, The Dubliner, Royal Oak to name but a few.

Full of mainly westeners having a good time and supping up a few pints.

Not sure who has the worst morals here.

Me for thinking its ok to go down the pub for a few beers,

Or you who thinks that everyone who goes down the pub is a titie chasing scum bag.

Again! I did not say every farang was a sexpat here blink.png Read my post again, carefully. I couldn't give a crap what any of you get up to. I'm saying, and I am not alone in this view, it is the typical Thai way of dealing with what they perceive as a problem. Beaches crammed to gunnels with sunbeds/restaurants? Pull the whole lot down. Rows of beer bars 'owned' and catering to farang? Get rid of the customers. And whilst I agree not all of the b2b's sit at those bars, the junta seems to take the view it's a good place to start. Catch All is Thai MO. They're incapable of selective critical thought. Application of any law/dictum on a case by case basis is foreign (no pun intended) to them. it appears that those who's nerves I've inadvertently touched know nothing of how the Thais think/work here. All this 'to clamp down on foreigners working illegally here' is pure BS. Why not go to their workplaces instead of turning every man and his dog back at the borders? Use your sense.

As to myself, I used to enjoy a beer or two at a local bar, until the farang owner's wife decided it'd be a good idea to get some girls in. Which inevitably brought in the knuckledraggers. My favourite watering holes were the Irish bars, for the Guinness smile.png

Now go get yourself a beer, and relax thumbsup.gif If you're not a b2b and are able laugh.png

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

I don't know if I'm the only one, but as soon I read the novel word sexpat I immediately loose any interest in a thread, because it means it will just go downhill.

Why? Pretty pertinent to this country wouldn't you say? And I'm not the one calling 'sexpat', they (I assure you) are <deleted> ...

I don't know if I'm the only one, but as soon I read the novel word sexpat I immediately loose any interest in a thread, because it means it will just go downhill.

Yep nxt topic pls

Agreed. That's a pretty good indication in the life cycle of a thread that 99% of the useful information has already been wrung out.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Because, and I just know you all won't like this, but the real reason for these draconian new rules is that they want to rid thailand of it's well deserved reputation as the sex tourist capital of the world, and in true Thai style, instead of enforcing the prostitution laws, they are targetting the end user. After all, some years back they stated that 'if the sex tourists didn't come here, there would be no prostitution'. And you all can jump up and down as much as you like but anyone who's been here for any length of time knows this is typical Thai problem solving - blame the farang.

So to all those bleating about 'proper visas' and condemning as 'undesirable' those who are unable, under the current rules, to obtain one, it is the likes of those of you filling the beer bars at Cowboy/Patpong/Patong/Walking street who have actually made things difficult for everyone else in this catch all policy. Well done.dry.png

Well done indeed... I have not been in hooker bar for many a long month. really not my bag ( but thanks for the pigeon hole)

You don't go to normal bars ? Robin Hood, The Dubliner, Royal Oak to name but a few.

Full of mainly westeners having a good time and supping up a few pints.

Not sure who has the worst morals here.

Me for thinking its ok to go down the pub for a few beers,

Or you who thinks that everyone who goes down the pub is a titie chasing scum bag.

Again! I did not say every farang was a sexpat here blink.png Read my post again, carefully. I couldn't give a crap what any of you get up to. I'm saying, and I am not alone in this view, it is the typical Thai way of dealing with what they perceive as a problem. Beaches crammed to gunnels with sunbeds/restaurants? Pull the whole lot down. Rows of beer bars 'owned' and catering to farang? Get rid of the customers. And whilst I agree not all of the b2b's sit at those bars, the junta seems to take the view it's a good place to start. Catch All is Thai MO. They're incapable of selective critical thought. Application of any law/dictum on a case by case basis is foreign (no pun intended) to them. it appears that those who's nerves I've inadvertently touched know nothing of how the Thais think/work here. All this 'to clamp down on foreigners working illegally here' is pure BS. Why not go to their workplaces instead of turning every man and his dog back at the borders? Use your sense.

As to myself, I used to enjoy a beer or two at a local bar, until the farang owner's wife decided it'd be a good idea to get some girls in. Which inevitably brought in the knuckledraggers. My favourite watering holes were the Irish bars, for the Guinness smile.png

Now go get yourself a beer, and relax thumbsup.gif If you're not a b2b and are able laugh.png

What's a "knuckledragger"?

Yeah, I do think it's weird everyone seems to be focusing so much on the "illegally working" "get the correct visa" thing. The thais don't say what they mean, or haven't you all realized that yet? I don't know if it's the beer bar types that they are targeting so much as the generic "the foreigners are ruining the country" political line. It seems pretty easy to prove income if that's what they are really concerned about.

Thailand is lucky the OP is already married.

The oil, gas and mining guys that do not already have a spouse or family will not put up this this crap.

They will move to another country that appreciates their spending.

Perhaps that is the long term plan anyway, no need for the Junta to clear out the beer bars. Once the oil, gas and mining money moves on... Patong, Pattaya, Pat Pong and Soi Cowboy will be reduced to nothing more that a sea of "shop for rent" signs.

Crash in the condo market anyone?

I know a few F. I. F. O. guys who have changed their plans for R&R, & will not wait for more uncertainty or tolerate being treated like a criminal at the airport in Thailand. I'm willing to have a go at getting a visa. I've been quoted 30k Baht to fix a retirement visa here in Thailand, 20k to do in Australia,,,,,,,,,,, so first off I've been trying to prove I'm a tourist,( hotel bookings I didn't need etc for 30 day exemption ) and now I've got to retire & bring swags of money in to the country to satisfy the requirements. I have the time and the inclination organise a visa myself, I don't want to pay what these visa companies are asking. In my case if I do all the work it will only cost around 6000 Baht.

Firstly if you have the required finance and are over 50 you can get a Non Imm O for 3 months and during the last month you can ask for a retirement extension.

Secodly if you know of someone who can "fix" your extension for you for only 30,000 baht you are being seen off as you can do it yourself for only 1,900 baht

Thailand is lucky the OP is already married.

The oil, gas and mining guys that do not already have a spouse or family will not put up this this crap.

They will move to another country that appreciates their spending.

Perhaps that is the long term plan anyway, no need for the Junta to clear out the beer bars. Once the oil, gas and mining money moves on... Patong, Pattaya, Pat Pong and Soi Cowboy will be reduced to nothing more that a sea of "shop for rent" signs.

Crash in the condo market anyone?

I know a few F. I. F. O. guys who have changed their plans for R&R, & will not wait for more uncertainty or tolerate being treated like a criminal at the airport in Thailand. I'm willing to have a go at getting a visa. I've been quoted 30k Baht to fix a retirement visa here in Thailand, 20k to do in Australia,,,,,,,,,,, so first off I've been trying to prove I'm a tourist,( hotel bookings I didn't need etc for 30 day exemption ) and now I've got to retire & bring swags of money in to the country to satisfy the requirements. I have the time and the inclination organise a visa myself, I don't want to pay what these visa companies are asking. In my case if I do all the work it will only cost around 6000 Baht.

Firstly if you have the required finance and are over 50 you can get a Non Imm O for 3 months and during the last month you can ask for a retirement extension.

Secodly if you know of someone who can "fix" your extension for you for only 30,000 baht you are being seen off as you can do it yourself for only 1,900 baht

Sorry mate but its a bit more complicated than that.

Just to outline what applies to me & according to the handout given at Soi 5 Jomtien, a retirement visa requires 50+yrs. Cash in Thai bank or proven income, rent book, lease /property ownership & that's about all except for all the forms,,,,,,

1/ transfer of tourist visa/visa exempt to non-immigrant,

2/extension of stay, (which I don't need but seems I have to do anyway)

3/retirement visa

4/multiple re-entry.

I think the 30K visa agent fee quoted locally may include all above & can be done painlessly.

B. T. W. I've costed the whole process, it's approx. 6000 Baht

if you don't contribute they don't want you here, sitting in a bar all day doesn't count, get a proper visa it ain't that difficult...

So falkan what would the proper visa be? I am married but only by monks and no papers signed. Usually come in visa exempt as only here 26 days then back out 6 times a year. What visa applies? Visa on arrival? Cost of such visa?
Falkan & all the rest who are telling us to :"get the right visa, it's easy" etc don't know anything about our FIFO lifestyle & certainly can't suggest an appropriate visa. We all have differing priorities, I'll have a go at getting a retirement visa, others may try some kind of non-immigrant /investment/marriage visa arrangement but I think that there will be many who will end up taking R&R elswhere.

Stailmanki

For years I entered Thailand on a rotational basis using only the Visa exempt entry.

As soon as I hit the big 50, I went straight onto Non Imm O for reasons of retirement.

For yourself and all the other rotational workers, if you at that age, this is the route that I would recommend.

Thanks Jock that's exactly what I'm doing. Just hoping that the multiple re-entry IS good for Mutiples.

And what about if you have 1 million dollars stuck in several bank across the world and under 50?

Why the F... Do I need to work and pay tax.? If I work I spend all my salary for income tax.

So what kind of visa I need if i want stay years in thailand? . I don't take job, jobs are for losers in my pov. (people spending 8 hours a day on a pc or painting walls in UK to feed themselves and their dumb wife and stupid babies....

Edited by bitcoinman

Posted by stag4 on 2014-08-01 13:07:08 in Thai visas, residency and work permits

I have been FIFO (20/10 roster) Western Australia to BKK for the last two and a half years. Arrive Swampy this Sunday morning, will be interesting to see what they say as my passport is full of visa exempt stamps.

Will have with me, my return itinerary, copy of my work contract, travel insurance, electronic pay slips, Australian dollars and company flight bookings right through to the end of the year.

What visa do they expect me to apply for, I am over 50 but not retired, not married or there on business?

If I am denied entry, what happens then, detained and deported, allowed through to the airline desk to purchase a ticket or what?

Quite a number of guys here at work in the same situation.

Quick update

Arrived at immigration this morning, line moved quite quickly, officer scanned my passport looking at all the pages. Asked me if I spoke Thai, I said "phut Thai mai dai", he laughed, stamped my passport and that was that. He never mentioned anything about too many visa exempt entries and neither did I.

He did however write the flight No. alongside the entry stamp like they have been doing for my last few entries and exits.

He did however write the flight No. alongside the entry stamp like they have been doing for my last few entries and exits.

Writing the flight number next to arrival and departure stamps seems to have been a standard procedure for decades, but judging from my passports immigration officers forget do it occasionally.

post-21260-0-24096000-1407050125_thumb.j post-21260-0-29064500-1407050127_thumb.j post-21260-0-13035400-1407050130_thumb.j

falkan, you really are talking such utter rubbish.

Since when did someone spending money in a country (and let's assume, doing no other harm) NOT contribute to that country?

Someone spending all their time in a bar also needs a room (hotel, most likely) and transport. Plus staff at the bar. These are all jobs supported by such 'Non-Contributers'. And of course, there are other 'pursuits' that may well be paid for by the 'non-contributers'...

Actually, I've changed my mind. At a time when Thailand is clearly in recession, when tourism in many of the most famous resorts is in COLLAPSE, let's get rid of these 'non-contributers'.

seems like you don't qualify to stay here, get your papyrus in correct order or move on..

Writing the flight number next to arrival and departure stamps seems to have been a standard procedure for decades, but judging from my passports immigration officers forget do it occasionally.

attachicon.gifarrival departure stamps 01.jpg attachicon.gifarrival departure stamps 02.jpg attachicon.gifarrival departure stamps 03.jpg

Just looked at mine and noticed the same actually

Yeah the bars are empty in pattaya, ladies go back to Isaan! Thailand is falling in recession, I see Thai riding horses soon, and most of majority will have to take jobs in rice fields.

But rice is good.... And a little bit of real farm experience is not hurting anyone as long I can go in my 5 stars hotel in bkk.

And what about if you have 1 million dollars stuck in several bank across the world and under 50?

Why the F... Do I need to work and pay tax.? If I work I spend all my salary for income tax.

So what kind of visa I need if i want stay years in thailand? . I don't take job, jobs are for losers in my pov. (people spending 8 hours a day on a pc or painting walls in UK to feed themselves and their dumb wife and stupid babies....

Police Order 777/2551 2.5 extension via investment just stick roughly $300.000 of your millions in Thai government securities and you can get one-year extensions from now until age 50.

• Like 2

Just spoke to immigration officials at Suvarnabhumi immigration and they have yet again clarified to me that guys on rotation and oil and gas workers will not be affected.

30 day on arrival stamps will still be issued.

Just back from Siem Reap after a fantastic few days and got another 30 day stamp on arrival at Suvarnabhumi no problems or questions and no extra scrutiny. Immigration official was courteous and efficient.

Off to Dubai on Friday for work for only a few days so will check in with the current situation after I arrive back.

Hey Guy,

Just passed immigration at the airport, i asked 2 officer about about my situation they both said i'm fine to come and go as i have been, but promoted the second officer on the fact i was stopped, pulled to one side and they took a photo copy of my passport and told me i needed the correct visa. He didn't have a answer for me and pointed to the overstay rules and informed they were the new rules and walked away.

anyway applying for a non O multi tomorrow so hopefully have no more problems.

• Like 1