A host country's sporting bias is fool's gold: Thai editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL
A host country's sporting bias is fool's gold

The Nation

Medals achieved on a tilted playing field are a victory for self-delusion

BANGKOK: -- A lot of Thai football fans were upset at what they perceived as unfair refereeing during Tuesday's Asian Games match between Thailand and South Korea, which the latter won 2-0. Viewers claimed the referee awarded the hosts a penalty for a Thai player's foul outside the penalty area, yet denied Thailand one when a Korean player handled the ball inside the same zone.

A late penalty kick awarded to the South Koreans in their earlier match against Japan also raised eyebrows. The host side won that match 1-0.

Football Association of Thailand president Worawi Makudi told news media the referee had made "many mistakes" during the Thailand-South Korea match and vowed to take the matter to the Asian Football Confederation.

Thailand coach Kiatisuk Senamuang congratulated the hosts after Tuesday's match. He said he hoped they would go on to clinch the gold - but in "in a beautiful way", not via penalty kicks they didn't deserve.

This has not been the only controversy concerning refereeing and organisation at the 2014 Asian Games. Complaints and allegations of refereeing and conditions favouring South Korean athletes have abounded, drawing denials from the organisers.

The boxing ring has been a focus for controversy.

Thailand, India, the Philippines and Mongolia all lodged complaints after their boxers lost to host fighters on dubious decisions. A chorus of boos has greeted judges' decisions at the end of several fights. The spate of contentious rulings has spawned uneasiness among teams at the Incheon Games.

In badminton, several coaches and players suspected the air-conditioning at the venue had been manipulated to help South Korean players win.

China's badminton coach Li Yongbo blamed "man-made reasons" for his team's defeat to South Korea in the men's team final. "The South Koreans deliberately controlled the air current in the stadium to gain an advantage. When we played into the breeze, it was very strong, but when the wind was behind them, they shut down the air-conditioning," Li said. Japanese badminton coach Keita Masuda voiced a similar complaint after his team's loss to South Korea in the quarterfinals. "The air current in this stadium is very strange, always supporting the hosts. Every time we change sides, the breeze seems to change sides as well," he said.

Meanwhile Thai former world champion Ratchanok Intanon blamed "strangely strong winds" at the venue for her loss to a South Korean.

The fact is that host countries of regional sporting events such as the Asiad and Southeast Asian Games are often accused of using unfair means in a bid to win as many medals, preferably gold, as possible. With national pride and honour on the line, the stakes are high. And with high stakes comes the great temptation to bend or even break the rules to add shine to your country's reputation.

Sadly, some countries do opt for honour earned by deception and cheating rather than through victories fairly earned on a level playing field. Placing the principle of fair play to one side, they use home advantage to tilt the odds in their favour. The result, however, is more often than not counterproductive, since the accusations of foul play tarnish the reputation of the country in question. The medals achieved by such deception represent nothing but a victory for self-delusion and are certainly nothing to be proud of.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/A-host-countrys-sporting-bias-is-fools-gold-30244556.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-02

"Football Association of Thailand president Worawi Makudi told news media the referee had made "many mistakes" during the Thailand-South Korea match and vowed to take the matter to the Asian Football Confederation."

How FAT can critise anyone for mistakes/corruption is beyond me.

Recently their officials claimed Thai Port (Thai football team) had goal posts that were the incorrect size and needed changing. It turns out they were wrong, the posts were fine, but their officials hadn't started at zero when they measured them.

As for corrupt practices.......

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

It's sad to say but all so true that ' home town ' decisions are very common in all sports.

Ginjag was a fully qualified football referee in England and can maybe comment on all the claims that refs are influenced by home crowds.

I used to watch live boxing midweek on the Thai channels and in all the bouts I saw I only saw a Thai lose once and that was because he was knocked out. I never saw a Thai lose on points but I cannot comment on results of bouts I didn't see.

Some of the international opponents seem to have been selected simply for their ability to lose and very often the best entertainment was the parade of officials called into the ring to be photographed plus the procession of sponsors pictured handling over gifts to the Thai boxer.

I remember the football world cup in 2002 which was jointly hosted by S Korea. S Korea beat Spain and Italy with the help of a number of very suspect decisions by the refs. Seemed very much like match fixing to me, so incredible were the decsions.

I did watch the womens boxing match and it was a farce. The Indian boxer was way ahead on points against the South Korean. I loved when they handed out the medals and she would not let them put it around her neck and later she went over to the S.Korean boxer and put it over her neck! She was taking no rubbish from them!

I just watched the fight on youtube. I think it is obvious that the Sarita Devi should have won on points. It was ridiculous.

"Sadly, some countries do opt for honour earned by deception and cheating rather than through victories fairly earned on a level playing field. Placing the principle of fair play to one side, they use home advantage to tilt the odds in their favor."

The fact that Thailand would actually say this about other countries literally has me rolling on the floor.............

• Like 2

"The result, however, is more often than not counterproductive, since the accusations of foul play tarnish the reputation of the country in question. The medals achieved by such deception represent nothing but a victory for self-delusion and are certainly nothing to be proud of."

What wise words from The Nation.

Lets hope the PM and new government take note.

Little babies crying over spilled milk. A man admits that he was outdone, outclassed, and out performed. A real man or a real woman, is able to say I did my best, and was not able to preform at my highest level, and I was outclassed. Kudos to my opponent who performed fairly and admirably. A whiny little baby comes up with excuses. If there was "weird wind", it affected all performers, more than likely. Good sportsmanship is a lovely quality. Without it, you are just another Lance Armstrong, or Kobe Bryant. Of course, there is no excuse for bad referees.

Edited by spidermike007