Manchester City

mrbojangles

No they haven't mad.gif

Its just part of the modern day football reality that if you keep on spending eventually you will be an unstoppable force and steamroll everyone. How much have they spent now? :o How much more in january? :ermm:

Mindyou, i have to admit i enjoy watching them play. They're playing some lovely football.

Yes i enjoy watching them too before last week,now i am starting to despise them again,i am sure there will be many twists to come though from them and still doubt them winning the league.

Personally I don't really have any feelings for Tevez. I will always support and never boo someone who dons our shirt and plays their heart out. I think it's obvious that he will go in January but if he gets chosen to play again in the meantime, as long as he puts in 100%, I'll be happy. Lets face it, most teams would kill to have someone with his skill, if we're paying him anyway why not utilise him.

Personally I don't really have any feelings for Tevez. I will always support and never boo someone who dons our shirt and plays their heart out. I think it's obvious that he will go in January but if he gets chosen to play again in the meantime, as long as he puts in 100%, I'll be happy. Lets face it, most teams would kill to have someone with his skill, if we're paying him anyway why not utilise him.

He'll probably end up on loan at the club who draw manure in the FA Cup.....I hope its Wrexham...or Doncaster. biggrin.gif

Good result last night, quita a comfortable 3-0 win.

However, Mancini had an ice pack on his head for quite a while in the first half after he had jumped and hit the roof of the dug-out. Made me chuckle in after match interview when he said

"It's sore, I took a hard knock," he laughed. "I did the same here five years ago, but I'll be fit for Saturday!" :D

Yes it was funny his comments,i think it was a really good performance by City although the Spanish didn't show much did they!

Napoli actually give Bayern a game last night and it is a good match for you next up against them,you still need a win realistically in Naples ohmy.gif no easy place to do that at,and then Bayern at home whistling.gif

Still i hope you qualify.

Yes it was funny his comments,i think it was a really good performance by City although the Spanish didn't show much did they!

Napoli actually give Bayern a game last night and it is a good match for you next up against them,you still need a win realistically in Naples ohmy.gif no easy place to do that at,and then Bayern at home whistling.gif

A point at Napoli and a win at home against Bayern, would guarantee we progress. Definitely doable.

Other than that we are relying on Villareal getting something off Napoli, which on last nights performance, I very much doubt.

A point at Napoli and a win at home against Bayern, would guarantee we progress. Definitely doable.

Other than that we are relying on Villareal getting something off Napoli, which on last nights performance, I very much doubt.

A win against Bayern will be beyond most sides at home or away. I'd be looking for three points in the other match.

A win against Bayern will be beyond most sides at home or away. I'd be looking for three points in the other match.

I know what your saying smokes but we were unlucky not to do them at their place. If we had been given just one of the two stone wall penalty decisions, I'm sure it would have been a different outcome. Anyway, onwards and upwards.

I know what your saying smokes but we were unlucky not to do them at their place. If we had been given just one of the two stone wall penalty decisions, I'm sure it would have been a different outcome. Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Keep playing in the CL like you did last night and you will qualify for sure.

Bit of a lathargic performance last night, maybe down to playing the other night and then staying in London and not going home. However, when they needed to step up a gear they managed to do it. We're still leaking some goals but if it was a choice between how we are playing now and last season, I'll pick this season, it's far more entertaining.

I found out tonight a mate of mine suffers from vertigo. Personally, I like it up here :D

Enjoy it for a week wink.gif

Thought I'd resurrect this post.

MrRed, I know they say a week is a long time in football but..... :D

i know you feel the need,no complaints from me mate you are playing some great football at the moment and have got the fear factor which is what we always had,Toure is immense at the moment and the pivotal player for you never mind Silva,,,,,,,,i would be worried if he got injured! at the moment i see you playing well but as you know United only get going at xmas biggrin.gif

5 points is faff all! wink.gif especially as you have a hard 2 months coming up..........

ps Savic?

Kolarov?

Lescott?

Richards?

Soon you will know that they are not good enough wink.gif

I found out tonight a mate of mine suffers from vertigo. Personally, I like it up here :D

Enjoy it for a week wink.gif

Thought I'd resurrect this post.

MrRed, I know they say a week is a long time in football but..... :D

i know you feel the need,no complaints from me mate you are playing some great football at the moment and have got the fear factor which is what we always had,Toure is immense at the moment and the pivotal player for you never mind Silva,,,,,,,,i would be worried if he got injured! at the moment i see you playing well but as you know United only get going at xmas biggrin.gif

5 points is faff all! wink.gif especially as you have a hard 2 months coming up..........

ps Savic?

Kolarov?

Lescott?

Richards?

Soon you will know that they are not good enough wink.gif

Is that the best you can come up with!!! :lol: City are going the win the league at a canter probably and you know it. They put 11 goals past Utd and Spurs, both away from home <deleted>!! So who exactly is going to beat them? :D

Is that the best you can come up with!!! :lol: City are going the win the league at a canter probably and you know it. They put 11 goals past Utd and Spurs, both away from home <deleted>!! So who exactly is going to beat them? :D

First of all I agree that City will probably win the league at a canter.

But look there is a reason they put 5 past you and 6 past Utd - both at home - apart from the fact that they are better than you. (Remember no team has put 5 goals past Liverpool at home in the league for 50 years.)

I think that reason is that both you and United went into that game thinking that you could take them on and win it. I think it was a similar case - Spurs/Liverpool - we went there with a Spurs are up for grabs we can win this one. And when you proved far better than expected we collapsed and panicked.

City were comfortably beaten by Bayern who are a great team but not unbeatable. I think City are a great side, an exceptional side but when clubs such as Utd and Spurs adjust the way they play to recognize that, they can be beaten.

But look there is a reason they put 5 past you and 6 past Utd - both at home - apart from the fact that they are better than you. (Remember no team has put 5 goals past Liverpool at home in the league for 50 years.)

I think that reason is that both you and United went into that game thinking that you could take them on and win it. I think it was a similar case - Spurs/Liverpool - we went there with a Spurs are up for grabs we can win this one. And when you proved far better than expected we collapsed and panicked.

City were comfortably beaten by Bayern who are a great team but not unbeatable. I think City are a great side, an exceptional side but when clubs such as Utd and Spurs adjust the way they play to recognize that, they can be beaten.

We went into both games with depleated sides and would have taken a point from each game happily. A full strength Spurs side now can and would compete but a weaker team like we had to field in those first two fixtures showed that unless at full strength there is a gulf in class. Hence, eight goals conceded and i was delighted when the respective matches ended. Full strength Spurs now with King back, Modric now bothering to play (thanks for that Luka) Parker in current form, and Adebayor in the side can compete with manchester, and no i'm not saying we can win the league but it wouldn't amaze me if we beat them this season.

Regards Liverpool at WHL, it seemed that we wanted it more. I don't know if its the case or not but i think it was a case of it being very much our day and Liverpool being ill disciplined and on an off day. What ever you make of it there isn't a 4-0 gulf between us, and having two sent off and Adam doing his upmost to be carded didn't help. I don't think he was even carded for that assault on Bales leg.

Edited by carmine

We went into both games with depleated sides and would have taken a point from each game happily. A full strength Spurs side now can and would compete but a weaker team like we had to field in those first two fixtures showed that unless at full strength there is a gulf in class. Hence, eight goals conceded and i was delighted when the respective matches ended. Full strength Spurs now with King back, Modric now bothering to play (thanks for that Luka) Parker in current form, and Adebayor in the side can compete with manchester, and no i'm not saying we can win the league but it wouldn't amaze me if we beat them this season.

Regards Liverpool at WHL, it seemed that we wanted it more. I don't know if its the case or not but i think it was a case of it being very much our day and Liverpool being ill disciplined and on an off day. What ever you make of it there isn't a 4-0 gulf between us, and having two sent off and Adam doing his upmost to be carded didn't help. I don't think he was even carded for that assault on Bales leg.

Carmine I have twice stated that no team has in the past 50 years of us being in the top division ever put 5 goals in the league at home past us. And you have twice repeated that you had injuries, no Adebayor, Parker? etc. Your statistic happens quite regularly over 50 years. Furthermore, face it, Man City are getting their highest scores against the best teams at their home. And I know there isnt a 4 goal difference between us and I know that we had two guys sent off. But I would argue that our indiscipline in that match was based on the frustration of being outplayed when we werent ready for it.

I have a statistical philosophy that 'defending' is more effective than 'attacking' in football. Please dont say all the best teams 'attack' because all the best teams will win anyway. It is why Hodgson is effective with relegation teams but cannot be effective with a top team. It is why it would make more sense to let Barcelona have as much possession as they want rather than try and take possession off them. It is why Mourinho is so successful. And it even perhaps explains Newcastle's success.

Look at this picture from our 3-0 beating of City last year.....

post-23517-0-97396600-1320564089_thumb.p

Suarez is on the ball, either City go for him and leave him open to pass forward or they dont which would probably be worse.

If you watched yesterday's match and then consider what the picture would have looked like. There would have been 7 Swansea players milling around in the box.

Ultimately Arsenal got mullered by Utd because they went out to win the match and Utd got mullered by City because they went out to win the match.

Anyway if you asked me how Spurs can beat City, I would say this. As we know poor teams actually 'park the bus' against better teams. Spurs is a good team so they dont 'park the bus'. But if they 'park the bus at home' to City, I think you can win. 'Parking the bus' is a pretty good way of stopping them scoring and you have a lot of pace to counter-attack against a very highline.

Now I imagine you think I am disappearing into some imaginary world of statistical <deleted> (and you might well be right). However football fans believe in 'tactical geniuses' which is close to the belief in hobgoblins. A statistician would look at Barcelona and believe you had far more probability of beating them by giving them more possession than less.

Anyway forgetting the above stuff. 'Our team was weak on the day' is not a satisfactory excuse for letting in 5 goals at home especially as you know there is quite a lot of depth. 1000 home games in 50 years at Anfield and it has never happened - crap teams, sending offs, crap managers etc. And it is such a poor excuse for one reason. Rather like Utd being beaten 6-1 - it is so statistically significant that it must be incredibly useful.

And perhaps I can make it even more simple. I work in finance. I can tell you only one thing with absolute statistical certainty. If everyone in the world believed that the stockmarket will go up, I will guarantee 100% it will go down.

ps Savic?

Kolarov?

Lescott?

Richards?

Savic - too light weight and young. Needs to get out on loan and learn the ropes.

Kolarov - Too greedy and always shooting at goal, instead of passing. I'd get rid.

Lescott - Getting better every game. He's surprised me immensely.

Richards - Top drawer but still makes the odd mistake. Nowhere near as much as he used to though.

City are going the win the league at a canter probably and you know it.

Stop it you two. I'm starting to get giddy with excitement. I daren't even dream of it. Over the years they've let me down so many times, I feel like Colleen Rooney.

City are going the win the league at a canter probably and you know it.

Stop it you two. I'm starting to get giddy with excitement. I daren't even dream of it. Over the years they've let me down so many times, I feel like Colleen Rooney.

To be honest I have always wondered who your mates are. You have said several times that human beings have told you that you cant buy the league. Personally I have never come across a sentient individual who is capable of speech who believes that. And I have met some whackos who even believe in fairies and little green goblins. The correlation coefficient on monetary spend with position in the league is about 0.93 which is incredibly high. The only higher correlation I can think of (yes apart from points) is goal difference. Some correlations - say shots on goal - are incredibly weak (less than 0.5).

I do however admit that people were thrown last year by Man City's underperformance relative to spend although a strong run at the end of the season kept it within existing statistical boundaries. I reckon 6-1 away to Utd is actually pretty good value even at a loss of 180m quid in a year. Certainly it seems better value than Liverpool are feeling at the moment who have spent 180m (in costs) for the year and ended up drawing with Swansea whose revenues were 10m in 09/10.

To be honest I have always wondered who your mates are.

Pardon :blink: What on earth are you refering to?

You have said several times that human beings have told you that you cant buy the league.

Show me just ONE single post (never mind "several")where I have ever stated that. In fact, don't bother looking cos you won't find one. You are either getting me mixed up with someone else or just telling lies. Which is it?

To be honest I have always wondered who your mates are.

Pardon :blink: What on earth are you refering to?

You have said several times that human beings have told you that you cant buy the league.

Show me just ONE single post (never mind "several")where I have ever stated that. In fact, don't bother looking cos you won't find one. You are either getting me mixed up with someone else or just telling lies. Which is it?

Honestly Bo - you know the search function on Thaivisa is a total nightmare. I readily admit it is a fair challenge but have you ever tried using the thing. Anyway I am afraid it is you that is suffering from selective memory and not me. And although I am only stating one instance, you should note that you claim 'everyone was saying you cant buy success' which is totally delusional on the basis 'anyone' who actually 'knows' anything about football, 'knows' that success can be bought. I 'know' of absolutely noone who believes otherwise. So who you have been associating with is well beyond me.

Anyway no need to apologize (it is entirely my fault for wasting time slepping through this stuff). Simply dont ask me to show that I have only shown one instance of you saying that 'everyone was telling you that you cant buy success' and please accept that my single post is replacing 'you have said several times that human beings have told you' by 'everyone was telling us'.

So which is it? Everyone told you cant buy success but you cant now remember a single person? Noone told you that you can buy success? Rather like the City CEO someone got at your computer and maliciously hacked it? And please remember that when you state that 'everyone' said you cant buy success in football you are in fact insulting 'everyone' which is something that I definitely remember and you apparently forget.

I will however admit that it is probably about as close as an LFC fan will get to a victory over City this year... :rolleyes:

Incidentally it is post number 38 if you cant find it.

View Postmrbojangles, on 2006-08-21 15:17:23, said:

It's going to a looooong season for us.....................................again :o

City started to play a bit when they (and the ref) got shot of their new foreign signings, and bought their regulars back.

the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about

Well, that is post 38, cant see the the relevance.

Anyway calm down boys it's only a game

It's going to a looooong season for us.....................................again :o

City started to play a bit when they (and the ref) got shot of their new foreign signings, and bought their regulars back.

Do they actually have schools in Manchester?

If you see my post you will also see a link to Bo's post. Then you have to go to post number 38.

If I had wanted you to go to post number 38 of this thread I would have posted a link to this thread.

Bo can never remember what he has posted, asks people to search for them on his behalf and implies they are liars. Now we are faced with people who cant click on a link.

The level for posting on the internet is not high but somehow it should be somewhere above ground.

To make it incredibly simple, I will simply post his comment....

It's funny really. Everyone was telling us only a couple of years ago, money can't buy you success. But now it's looking like we are a dangerous threat to the title, people will say we bought it.

I cant imagine how anyone could possibly not remember posting such an incredibly stupid comment. And if you want to know why I didnt say it was stupid at the time, it was because when comments are so incredibly stupid actually arguing with them about it simply makes you a moron.

If you see my post you will also see a link to Bo's post. Then you have to go to post number 38.

If I had wanted you to go to post number 38 of this thread I would have posted a link to this thread.

Bo can never remember what he has posted, asks people to search for them on his behalf and implies they are liars. Now we are faced with people who cant click on a link.

The level for posting on the internet is not high but somehow it should be somewhere above ground.

To make it incredibly simple, I will simply post his comment....

It's funny really. Everyone was telling us only a couple of years ago, money can't buy you success. But now it's looking like we are a dangerous threat to the title, people will say we bought it.

I cant imagine how anyone could possibly not remember posting such an incredibly stupid comment. And if you want to know why I didnt say it was stupid at the time, it was because when comments are so incredibly stupid actually arguing with them about it simply makes you a moron.

and please accept that my single post is replacing 'you have said several times that human beings have told you' by 'everyone was telling us'.

So let me get this straight. You mis-quote me, I deny saying that. So you change your quote to what I actually said and you still think your right?

on the basis 'anyone' who actually 'knows' anything about football, 'knows' that success can be bought. I 'know' of absolutely noone who believes otherwise. So who you have been associating with is well beyond me.

There were "many" pundits and managers saying this and this chap is just one Ferguson: Money can't buy success from FIFA.com http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=889972.html Fergie also said this again just before we beat them 6-1 last month.

What I was eluding to in my original post is that the very same people who were stating this, would be the very same people who, in the event we do ever win the league, would say that we bought it. I wasn't saying any more or less and I certainly wasn't saying that is what I belive. Personally, my belief is that all the teams who have won the league have bought it, in some fashion. As they are the ones who have enough money not only to buy the top players but also can afford to have depth in the squad. However, IMO money is only one ingredient.

you should note that you claim 'everyone was saying you cant buy success'

Ok, if you are going to be pedantic about it, I used the word "ëveryone" loosely and to a reasonable fella, it would be obvious that I didn't intend to mean the whole world.

Anyway no need to apologize

I won't be.

Mossfinn isn't from Manchester

And you really need to tone down your attitude

Has Abrak just called Mossfinn a moron? Did I read that right??

Oh dear oh dear.....ohmy.gif

Best you flee now Abrak.....biggrin.gif

No I didnt if you read what I wrote.

However I admit that I did (very probably wrongly) accuse of him of coming from Manchester. And I can quite easily see why he might be mortally offended.