Manchester City

mrbojangles

25 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I'd say when at our best we are probably in with a chance but it's a cup comp and anything can happen in knockout comps. Of course I'd love to win it but if I had to choose, the PL remains my preferred comp.

Maybe you would prefer the league but the CL is the pinnacle, the highest quality, biggest prize to which i believe your owners aspire to winning.  They've done winning the league stuff, its the CL they want.

And you'll win the league anyway,  by ten points or more.

1 minute ago, carmine said:

Maybe you would prefer the league but the CL is the pinnacle, the highest quality, biggest prize to which i believe your owners aspire to winning.  They've done winning the league stuff, its the CL they want.

And you'll win the league anyway,  by ten points or more.

For sure our owners want it. I'm just saying what my preference is. If we can win both, we'll all be happy ????

Numerous reports that City are to make a 50m bid for Frenkie De Jong.  Think they'd need to up that.

That Ajax academy really does turn out some talent.  Its a talent conveyor belt!! Not saying de Jong in this case but generally speaking

Edited by carmine

9 minutes ago, carmine said:

Numerous reports that City are to make a 50m bid for Frenkie De Jong.  Think they'd need to up that.

That Ajax academy really does turn out some talent.  Its a talent conveyor belt!! Not saying de Jong in this case but generally speaking

Yes De Jong is not one from the Ajax set up....no doubt they have brought out the best of him the last few years however!

5 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Yes De Jong is not one from the Ajax set up....no doubt they have brought out the best of him the last few years however!

Absolutely.  I think he's been there three or four years.  Only 21yo now.

Cant say i believe this necessarily because i'd have thought City's top priority would be cover/a replacement for Fernandinho.  Although, why not just buy both!!!

8 minutes ago, carmine said:

Absolutely.  I think he's been there three or four years.  Only 21yo now.

Cant say i believe this necessarily because i'd have thought City's top priority would be cover/a replacement for Fernandinho.  Although, why not just buy both!!!

One of the names mentioned as possible cover was our Rice. He’s got something. Sort of player Pep would like. 

Edited by Kadilo

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Totally agree. Wasn't sure about Laporte at first and Stones was making too many mistakes but they are really growing as a unit.

Same same. More evidence of Pep improving players, even defenders.

Here's  UEFAs actual  statement  in full made yesterday from their website.

Financial Fair Play (FFP) has led to a step change in the health of the finances in European club football. Seven years ago, European clubs had a cumulative debt of €1.7bn. Last year, it was a profit of €600m. Without question, it has been a success for the game across Europe.

FFP is a framework which clubs that wish to play in UEFA competitions agree to abide by. It relies on the cooperation of clubs to declare a complete and genuine financial position. While UEFA can test the information it receives, it relies on that information being fair and accurate reflections of a club's finances.

UEFA conducts an annual assessment of all clubs against the break-even requirements of FFP on a rolling three-year basis. This includes a thorough assessment of clubs' financial positions on the basis of both the information disclosed by the clubs (based on their independently audited financial statements), as well as a number of compliance checks and analysis undertaken by UEFA (including independent external audits). If new information comes to light that may be material to this assessment, UEFA will use that to challenge the figures and will seek explanation, clarification or rebuttal from the club concerned.

Should new information suggest that previously concluded cases have been abused, those cases may be capable of being re-opened as determined on a case-by-case basis.

This approach is applied universally to all clubs that apply for a UEFA licence and participate in European club competitions.

27 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Seems to me this is just the beginning.

Well, likely the absolute worst that could happen is getting booted out of the CL next season and a fine. I can live with that if necessary.:smile:

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Maybe a three year transfer embargo as well. 

I don’t know if they could both as an embargo could only be against playing in the CL couldn’t it? They couldn’t stop us from buying or selling to compete in the prem could they? I dunno 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

I don’t know if they could both as an embargo could only be against playing in the CL couldn’t it? They couldn’t stop us from buying or selling to compete in the prem could they? I dunno 

I was thinking the same thing....dunno how that works with the Premiership.

25 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

A £200m fine might not please your accountants.

The fine they gave us a few years back was a record, even after negotiations. Something like that would deffo lead to the lawyers getting involved for sure and carrying their promise of tying UEFA up in legal knots for years

19 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

The fine they gave us a few years back was a record, even after negotiations. Something like that would deffo lead to the lawyers getting involved for sure and carrying their promise of tying UEFA up in legal knots for years

Sounds like a CL ban is moat likely then...if anything comes of it at all of course.

What I would like to see is some way of levelling the playing field somewhat as the way it is going its going to be way too predictable at the top in years to come and that's not healthy for the game.

Nor is 500k a week wages.

The game is ridiculous now.

2 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

What I would like to see is some way of levelling the playing field somewhat as the way it is going its going to be way too predictable at the top in years to come and that's not healthy for the game.

Nor is 500k a week wages.

The game is ridiculous now.

But there's been about 3 tiers in the prem since it's inception. That's why United have won 13 (I think) titles over the 26 years. One team winning half is ridiculous. At least it's change at the top now 

31 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

But there's been about 3 tiers in the prem since it's inception. That's why United have won 13 (I think) titles over the 26 years. One team winning half is ridiculous. At least it's change at the top now 

Its not just the City thing....the gap between the top four or five and the rest is going to get wider and wider if nothing changes meaning a lot of pointless games.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Not posting to flame, just that there has been some development, make of it what you will.   UEFA have now made a statement, not direct, but it is a response. 

https://apnews.com/a5471168438748a7b7fdc5e3d464f370

Yet nothing will be done, that is unless you think Infantino will cut his own throat.  Its also interesting in so much as i haven't heard one mention of anything about any of this from Sky so this is clearly not something they wish to go any further either.  I think it will get slowly buried, whether guilty or not.

15 hours ago, jellydog said:

Well, likely the absolute worst that could happen is getting booted out of the CL next season and a fine. I can live with that if necessary.:smile:

I'll reiterate,  nothing will be done regardless due to who's allegedly involved.

But, if you were found guilty,  of course you would accept such a punishment.  It's way too weak.  What needs to be done is having a proper message sent.  That would be both clubs demoted to the lower league, a minimum 3 year CL ban, and blocked from the transfer market. Forget a poxy fine, that won't even register!! It must not be a punishment  that fans "can live with" it must send out the clear message that cheating never prospers.

And then again, in the real world Infantino is going to move heaven and earth to bury it and save himself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carmine said:

I'll reiterate,  nothing will be done regardless due to who's allegedly involved.

But, if you were found guilty,  of course you would accept such a punishment.  It's way too weak.  What needs to be done is having a proper message sent.  That would be both clubs demoted to the lower league, a minimum 3 year CL ban, and blocked from the transfer market. Forget a poxy fine, that won't even register!! It must not be a punishment  that fans "can live with" it must send out the clear message that cheating never prospers.

And then again, in the real world Infantino is going to move heaven and earth to bury it and save himself.

C'mon Carmine. You've descended down the rabbit hole with Alice. Though it would be entertaining to see City in the Championship, rolling over every club 8-0 week in and week out.:whistling: