Power extension cords chaos

JohnnyJazz

We are happy to announce the arrival of a little Zotac in our already over crowded family. The problem we are now facing is how to feed the baby. Extension cords are plugged in other extension cords, it's already a total chaos. And I'm not even talking about fire hazard.

83288114-multiple-power-strips-on-floor-

I'm interested in other people solution (pictures please) to keep everything clean and organized.

If you take a walk around Pantip or Zeer you will see them on display. Just look for the stores that sell accessories. A small one with 6 plugs and 2 USB ports can be found for as little as 399 baht. The one in the picture isn't so easy to find but they are available. I have one of the smaller ones with different phone, battery and tablet chargers plugged in. I wouldn't buy a larger one as I would be concerned about overloading them. I saw some in Singapore at Sim Lim Square recently but they were not for sale, just in use by some shops to hook up a variety of chargers similar to what I have, to avoid having to plug and unplug different chargers all the time. Maybe they have not been approved for sale in Singapore.

Overloading? highly likely if in the wrong hands. Looks ideal for small appliances such as printers, recharging, and so on, but I certainly wouldn't use it for kitchen appliances and the like.

Also, there should be a warning to have the main connecting cable fully unwound, as it can easily overheat.

I bought a 2nd hand cupboard from someone leaving the country, and it had five good quality, earthed power boards, four mounted inside and 1 outside.

It keeps everything off the floor, provides two flat surfaces for a printer and recharging items. No doubt designed for upwardly mobile rug-rats.

• Like 1

When I built my house I installed one or sometimes two boxes on every wall. I don't have any rug rats so I mounted them the US way, 12 inches above the floor. Most are hidden behind furniture and I think that there is only one extension cord in the house which I made especially, length, for the application. I have eight mounted outlets on the wall where my desk and computers are. I hate extension cords and wired my house myself when i built it.

Thats a wise move if you are in charge of the build but unfortunately those that rent or buy an existing house are screwed. I have never in my 26 years here ever owned or rented a place with enough electric outlets.

Btw. Have any of you ever lifted a ceiling tile and wondered why there is 5-6 km of randomly connected (Usually joined with black tape) cable up there?

• Like 1

I have a two story home with four to twelve Thai camping out from time to time. Still, I can not come up with nearly all your electrical plugs attached to something two to three meters away, the standard length of cord on a tv, for example.

Pardon me, but I have good reason to doubt your photo represents reality. Not only are there way too many cords in one place but all of them are new and clean. I smell a doctored photo or a photo exaggerating what not to do.

I have a two story home with four to twelve Thai camping out from time to time. Still, I can not come up with nearly all your electrical plugs attached to something two to three meters away, the standard length of cord on a tv, for example.

Pardon me, but I have good reason to doubt your photo represents reality. Not only are there way too many cords in one place but all of them are new and clean. I smell a doctored photo or a photo exaggerating what not to do.

23 plugs, come on.............

You're right, I found the picture on the internet, the reality is much more messy.

4 computers + monitor, a TV, NAS, printer, router, external hard disk, 2 sets of speakers, IP cameras x 2 + extension cords plugged on other extension cords ... and that's just for the stuff plugged around my desk

If you have no more to contribute to this thread I suggest you stick with what you know (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768356-is-it-possible-to-reduce-the-childish-superficial-rants-on-what-is-otherwise-a-great-forum-tv/#entry8532617 ) and take you unwanted remarks somewhere else.

The only safe solution is adding more outlets which is really easy to do in Thailand as most homes are wired outside the walls but even if inside a competent electrician can drop a line inside the wall.. Even adding another breaker in the panel is easy but of course turn off the main first.. Getting a Thai electrician to add a few outlets is very cheap I would say less then a 1000 baht for sure.. I had one added about 6 years ago and it cost me 200 baht total.. It is the safest thing to do because what you have now is a huge fire hazard...

I wanted to add that you can add outlets to your rental even high end Hiso style rental as long as you maintain the athetics but for most Thai style rentals no one would notice a new outlet or would appreciate if they did.. I always fix up the place I am renting as safety and comfort are important and most upgrades are pretty cheap to implement and in some cases like air conditioners can be removed and taken witn you or sold..

Edited by montereyjp

There are higher load (2400 Watt) power strips on sale at Home Pro and other larger retailers. I use several of these for kitchen appliances with high draw. They have quite effective built in circuit breakers that have cut out when I've inadvertently turned on both the toaster and hot water pot at the same time.

For other devices, especially charging devices, I use the power strips that have a separate On/Off switch for each outlet and I am careful to keep them Off when not actively charging. It's never a bad idea to occasionally check power cords for excessive heat, an indication of overload.

My computer, TV and stereo run off a UPS. I did have an electrician run several extra lines off my entry panel at my own expense...peace of mind for under B1000; not a bad deal in my book.

I have changed a few of my wall outlets to have more sockets.

Also in a particular spot where I had only a double socket, I fixed a good quality (with breakers/fuses) extension cord to the wall well out of the way of the ground.

I even changed a couple of switch boxes to be outlets and switch (the associated breakers were already oversized, but really you should keep lighting and outlets on separate circuits.)

Beware of leaving phones charging overnight, I had one short circuit and it popped a 20A breaker!

4 computers + monitor, a TV, NAS, printer, router, external hard disk, 2 sets of speakers, IP cameras x 2 + extension cords plugged on other extension cords ... and that's just for the stuff plugged around my desk

The way I see it, you have a few choices:

1) Get an electrical contractor in and have them install more power outlets, locating them on the wall in positions that will minimize cable paths.

2) Start refining your systems - you could reduce 5 plugs (4 PC's + monitor) to one just buy buying an iMac - or replacing some of the PC's with notebooks that can run a day on battery (then charge them elsewhere). Replace the router with one that supports POE and you can lose 2 wall warts for your IP cams. You could probably also consider relocating your NAS and Printer (assuming it supports wifi/airprint) to another room/location eliminating a further 2 plugs at your desk. Replace your 2 sets of speakers with one good quality set - another plug (or more) saved. That's at least 9 plugs saved so far smile.png

3) A combination of the above.

Edited by IMHO

1) Get an electrical contractor in and have them install more power outlets, locating them on the wall in positions that will minimize cable paths.

2) Start refining your systems - you could reduce 5 plugs (4 PC's + monitor) to one just buy buying an iMac - or replacing some of the PC's with notebooks that can run a day on battery (then charge them elsewhere). Replace the router with one that supports POE and you can lose 2 wall warts for your IP cams. You could probably also consider relocating your NAS and Printer (assuming it supports wifi/airprint) to another room/location eliminating a further 2 plugs at your desk. Replace your 2 sets of speakers with one good quality set - another plug (or more) saved. That's at least 9 plugs saved so far smile.png

No. 3 is of course the right way . A full renovation of the house is scheduled for the end of the year and I'm currently testing a number of configuration to be installed around the house, that's why it's such a mess.

One of my main concern is the very poor quality of the extension cords sold in Thailand. For each I currently use there are at least two that are in a rubbish box in a corner of the room. The tower picture above seems to be a neat solution, my only concern is the quality of the inner wiring.

The other solution would be to buy ten / twenty power outlets, a big wooden plank, a couple of meters of electric cable, take my soldering iron and make my own board sad.png

No. 3 is of course the right way . A full renovation of the house is scheduled for the end of the year and I'm currently testing a number of configuration to be installed around the house, that's why it's such a mess.

One of my main concern is the very poor quality of the extension cords sold in Thailand. For each I currently use there are at least two that are in a rubbish box in a corner of the room. The tower picture above seems to be a neat solution, my only concern is the quality of the inner wiring.

The other solution would be to buy ten / twenty power outlets, a big wooden plank, a couple of meters of electric cable, take my soldering iron and make my own board sad.png

Yep, practically all power boards sold here are junk - these are the only ones I've found that are decent quality (made by Schneider Electric):

http://www.invadeit.co.th/search/surgearrest/

These actually have buss bars inside (rather than a mess of wires and solder) - but unfortunately, due the the surge protection electronics they still have some solder joints. I've not yet had one fail on me though - whereas all others have...

Pity the 8-way board has the outlets facing the wrong way though sad.png

Edited by IMHO

As you may know Zotac is a mini PC that you connect to a TV or monitor. Being a geek i have several different versions including one that is running Linux. Being this is off topic I will not go into to much detail but you can buy these online from China and I can recommend geekbuying as they offer free fast shipping using DHL... PM me if you want more details..

You lost me. You're feeding your baby extension cords? Your baby runs on electricity?

biggrin.png

Here is little Zotac

zotac-zbox-nano-xs-plus.jpg

Hi Johnny, did you buy your baby in Thailand, if so where and price.thanks

regards Worgeordie

No, bought it last week in Hong Kong, Golden Shopping Centre in Sham Shui Po. Generally speaking I have to say that I was disappointed by the prices in Hong Kong, you can find the same in Bangkok. But I was looking specifically for this type of many PC that I wasn't able to find in Bangkok. I paid the equivalent of THB 8,500 I'll give the exact specification later when I'm back home.

Here are more details. That's the model I bought, not the one of the previous picture.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/zotac-launches-passively-cooled-zbox-nano-mini-pc/

zotac-CI540-Nano-1-600x337.jpgzotac-CI540-Nano-2-600x337.jpg

I chose the basic model with the Celeron N2930 at 1.83 GHz. It should be enough for I intend to do, run XBMC, sorry KODI

So far it's working quite well except for the fact that it comes with Windows 8. A major OS upgrade will need to be performed very soon

Edited by JohnnyJazz

It all comes down to what you pay. There are some really good, actually earthed, surge protected and fused powers trips available, but these are significantly more expensive than the 99 baht crap.

Yes

But does the household socket that you plug it into have an earth??? ::whistling:

IME the answer is usually NO :bah: