36+ years coming and living in Thailand.

Gonsalviz

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, only have been here for 7 years and as you, never had any problems.

I think people create problems for themselves, so they can cry on TVF.

Yes the last one applies to me.......I got........married and am happy ever after.thumbsup.gif

Fortunate. In my 47 years of traveling to and living in Thailand; I too have never been ripped-off, scammed or attacked. However, I have been robbed--which may be all of the above. Now, before the normal assumptions/accusations arise, allow me to say I was riding with my non-Thai wife at 7pm in a nice residential neighborhood. A couple of yayhoos came by on a scooter and snatched my wife's handbag. No problem, I thought, I'll just catch-up to them and kicked them off their scooter. As I approached, the thief on the back drew a pistol. Needless to say, I accepted their right to have the purse. However, that was six years ago, we are still here. Things like this happen in all countries; yes, even with the gun.

Now, a second question about being ripped-off, scammed, or attacked. Have any of those happened to you at the hands of a non-Thai, while here in Thailand?

Agreed, when I lived in the UK around 40% of my salary was scammed by the taxman.

Wow, 60 US cents. My God. I think I'd go sucidal.

You are a child living in a place you do not understand. Go home where they steal money from you regularly. And they've done it in a way you have no idea it is being done. I am talking about your government.

I personally don't mind giving up 60 cents to people that barely survive. I won't go to a 7-11 if there is a local alternative, even if it costs more. Why do I want to give money to a multinational corporation.

I have lived in SE Asia for more than 23 years. You think you get ripped off in Thailand. You haven't even skimmed the surface.

Absolutely

As an Australian outside the country for more than 180 days per year I lose the tax free threshold therefore paying the highest tax rate possible when I'm not even in the country to get anything in return.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

the luck of people like OP is total oblivion so even when they do get scammed, they do not even know it.

Or maybe you're just an old cynic who thinks he's being scammed all the time. Why live in this country if you think you're being scammed constantly, or were you the same cynic back in your nation of birth?

• Like 1

Gonsalviz, on 02 Nov 2014 - 20:39, said:
AnotherOneAmerican, on 02 Nov 2014 - 20:37, said:

There are two sorts of people who don't get scammed in Thailand.

1. Those who never understand what's happening.

2. Those who are essentially broke.

You forgot number 3. The ones that keep their wits about them.

I don't say they haven't tried but the same thing happens in my country and your country and any other expats country. Why continually pick on Thailand?

Maybe because the OP is about Thailand....I doubt very much after 35 years you haven't been scammed or ripped off, to me that is pure BS... have you ever taken a taxi, tuk tuk, paid farang prices at national parks, paid the marked price at markets... get my gist.....yeah, bury your head and believe what you want....

• Like 1

OP that's a long time, what do you remember most about Thailand in 1978?

Meeting my first wife and losing a camera to a thief because I walked off and left it. Tell me that would not happen in, say Singapore, the low crime state?

You don't recall The Thammasat University Massacre of October 6th 1976?

I would have thought that was pretty memorable. It was reported that 41 people died during the crackdown and 3,154 protesters were arrested and treated quite badly. I remember it well as it completely dominated everything else that year.

I discovered Thailand in 1975 while still in school and moved here two years later at 23 years old. I have recently started to think that people like us, in some odd way prove the point that Thailand is really hard for many people, rather serving as an example of how good or easy it can be. The things which make it easy for me could also be seen as the reasons others have a hard time.

I didn’t come here with tones of baggage from a past life. I took 20 years to learn the language and explore the various levels of Thailand’s class structured society before I settled down. When I finally married, I already had a life here and I knew more about Thailand than my wife did. I was able to share my Thailand life with her rather than depending on her to explain everything to me.
Someone who discovers Thailand as an old man simple doesn’t have the luxury of time that I had. So I tend to look at those of us who have been around forever as anomalies and not necessarily as good role models.

i can only speak for myself, but after a few years including learning to read and write the language as well as a decent conservational ability i commonly encounter the feudal drone mentality. not just lack of independent, critical thinking but deficiency of things like what many consider normal vocabulary knowledge. this is not limited to non university graduates either. in my estimation the % of people that would possess a comparable level to say japan or singapore is a fraction of 1%.

to each their own but i could not imagine settling down with someone that knew less about their own country, etc etc than i did

I don't say they haven't tried but the same thing happens in my country and your country and any other expats country. Why continually pick on Thailand?

You can keep your wit,BUT

Say you bought a tshirt for 200 baht, while 3 shops down it is sold for 180.

Guess what? you have been scammedthumbsup.gif

To make matters even more funnier, both shops are owned by the same personw00t.gif

It does not have to be "in your face" scam to be scammed, so to claim you have never been scammed = you living in total and utter oblivion.wai.gif

Scammed for 20 baht? I had to have a laugh at that one, sounds like paranoia to me. Shops on the high street in the UK do exactly the same, that's no scam. There are good and bad people in every country, Thailand is no exception, no different.

That said, one man's meat......

• Like 1

To make matters even more funnier, both shops are owned by the same personw00t.gif

It does not have to be "in your face" scam to be scammed, so to claim you have never been scammed = you living in total and utter oblivion.wai.gif

Do you seriously think that every shop in Thailand will sell the same item for the exact same price?

Pray tell, who sets this standard price?

• Like 1

With your disposition you must constantly think you're being scammed. However, don't assume all expats are ripped off like you. Obviously many are much smarter than you.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

Because if some b4st4rd cheats/robs/injures you, who you gonna call, here? Don't be so naive.

• Like 1

I discovered Thailand in 1975 while still in school and moved here two years later at 23 years old. I have recently started to think that people like us, in some odd way prove the point that Thailand is really hard for many people, rather serving as an example of how good or easy it can be. The things which make it easy for me could also be seen as the reasons others have a hard time.

I didn’t come here with tones of baggage from a past life. I took 20 years to learn the language and explore the various levels of Thailand’s class structured society before I settled down. When I finally married, I already had a life here and I knew more about Thailand than my wife did. I was able to share my Thailand life with her rather than depending on her to explain everything to me.
Someone who discovers Thailand as an old man simple doesn’t have the luxury of time that I had. So I tend to look at those of us who have been around forever as anomalies and not necessarily as good role models.

i can only speak for myself, but after a few years including learning to read and write the language as well as a decent conservational ability i commonly encounter the feudal drone mentality. not just lack of independent, critical thinking but deficiency of things like what many consider normal vocabulary knowledge. this is not limited to non university graduates either. in my estimation the % of people that would possess a comparable level to say japan or singapore is a fraction of 1%.

to each their own but i could not imagine settling down with someone that knew less about their own country, etc etc than i did

The point I was making was not that my wife was unintelligent, but that in spite of being born in Thailand, she had only lived here ten months longer than I had. As a foreigner I had been afforded mobility and opportunities in Thai society that are not typically available to most Thais.
Therefore I was not dependent upon her and did not need her to hold my hand in order to navigate my way through life in Thailand. Clearly that is not the way things normally work in cross-cultural relationships and not something one encounters everyday here in Thailand.
  • Like 2

Nothing serious really happened, apart from a few incidents...

1. I got drugged. They apparently put something in my water and thank god, I just took a sip. Nevertheless it left me grounded for 3-5 days. After 20-30min I felt nauseu, uncomfortable and had flu-like symptoms and my body was shaking. I felt my body had a temperature below 15C°.

That things occurred, you might already guessed it, in a brothel.

My lesson: Never, ever drink anything again in massage salons or brothels.

2. I wouldn't say I got ripped off. But I blindly said yes in a pharmacy to procure some (lol) acne pills at Chiang Mai airport. They were astonishingly expensive. I thought they would charge a whole package, but no, they charge for one slip containing 10 pills. After all I did say yes- it was my own decision and stupidity. On the other hand... whatever.. I had the cash.

3. From time to time, it's only a rare occasion, a really rare one. I would say 1-2%: Taxi drivers tend to take the longer way. Of course there are many circumstances and factors and what type of taxis you take. However, let's say it's a local taxi who supposedly should know the area well. Experiment: I talk to him in ENGLISH first and he thinks, oh.. another dumb Asian to rip off. Without he knowing that I am a Thai ethnic and understand Thai, he drives the longer path although there are some shorter ways, obviously.

Note: it was during that time when I got back to TH and I wasn't 100% sure about the routes. But now I know the areas and ins and outs. I figured out that some taxi drivers drove the longer way in purpose.

With all due respect gentlemen. This is no way a generalisation of Thailand. I was born here actually and grew up in Europe. Even my Thai fellows and family tell to be very cautious and aware of fraudsters.

I don't want to induce any negative thoughts, but I think everyone has been ripped off here, once in a while. Let it be by increased or hidden "fees" or Farang special prices. I don't want to destroy your fairytale pink balloon though. I even witnessed how, especially you white boys got ripped off by taxis, hotels, hookers, shops etc.

The guy who mentioned the shirt thing: 160 instead of 200THB or something like that. Of course it's not a world for crying out loud, but it's just a start. Believe me, don't be too naive, especially if you happen to be white. They, you guys are the nr1 victims, not Indians, Arabs or other Asians.

Having said that, my overall experience in TH when it comes to getting ripped off is very good! Compare that with my experience in Germany.

We've received letters from unknown sources, claiming we had open bills to pay!? Company XYZ wants our money for the services we never took in the first place!!! Checked on INTERNET - total scam!

Another scammer lets us know that it would cost us additional fees in order to get our company name to be in the business directory. First of all, we never submitted any form, nor did we have any contact before with this firm. They send us warnings and threaten us with legal actions -&lt;deleted&gt;?! Another total scam but people, especially business people tend to pay them off in order to avoid any troubles.

Do you know how many calls I get from random lottery and bullshit institutions? Yes, they CALL you and harass you: "you've just won but you gotta pay...."

The best thing: Lady calls me up telling me I got to pay for some service from LAST F*CKING YEAR, I don't even recall I did take any service from them but ok. Open bill, of course.. After I tried to end the conversation, she said to me "sorry Mr. xxx,you will regret it!".

So in all honesty, I pick the Thai scam theme. Why? It rarely happens, I don't get any phoney calls. I do pay here and there a few bucks.

• Like 1

thats not a scam at all.

• Like 2

Because if some b4st4rd cheats/robs/injures you, who you gonna call, here? Don't be so naive.

You are apparently one of the few posting in this thread who doesn't know who to call. In the States the call is usually to a lawyer and the party with the most money (best lawyer) wins.

I went out to a club in America and asked a woman to dance and she slapped me (I was too old). Here I went out to a club and asked a woman to dance and we went on a two week vacation together.

In Thailand it may be called something else but it's the same. Don't mess with the guy who has all the money and power. The exception being a woman with a good divorce lawyer.

Whistle blowing in the West does not end well. The recent scandals at the BBC and Rotherham are examples of that. 1400 children in Rotherham, who should they call?

• Like 2

Much depends on where you go in Thailand and how you live here . I live a very quiet life with my Thai wife and here family nearby , who guide and protect me .

My wife's 3 brothers are all police officers and my best Thai friend is my wife's ex husband a now retired police officer . I don't go out drinking in bars or stick my neck out in any smartarse deals . I have been living in Thailand 10 years , touch wood , no problems so far .

Very astute reflections. Definitely rings lots of bells with me, including taking forever to learn Thai.

• Like 1

The point I was making was not that my wife was unintelligent, but that in spite of being born in Thailand, she had only lived here ten months longer than I had. As a foreigner I had been afforded mobility and opportunities in Thai society that are not typically available to most Thais.
Therefore I was not dependent upon her and did not need her to hold my hand in order to navigate my way through life in Thailand. Clearly that is not the way things normally work in cross-cultural relationships and not something one encounters everyday here in Thailand.

so she had a non thai education and mind set because of education/ life abroad ?