Free to Extort

No slaves here.

Please let me correct that for you

As in the poor

Free Speech

Free Media

Free to Criticize

Edited by Anthony5

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

how many more don't realize they are slaves ?

That's an easy one... The answer is anyone that is in debt to the western banking system...

Well if you look it this way. then it the whole world are slaves to someone/something.

Slave to debt to loan sharks. Slave to paying extreme taxes in most Western countries. Slave to the other partner. Slave to your work. Slave to food. For wealthy people, slave to how to spend the money and complain about all the people working for them for slave wages.

Come on posters. For sure some people in the world are slaves, but not as it is descripted in this article.

Slave, means no freedom to speak, move, walk away from a situation and have to work for no money. And then the numbers are much smaller.

All other situations can not be descripted as 'slave' situations.

• Like 1

I wonder what survey the 475,300 took to identify as being enslaved.

Wow Brunei has over 253,000 people enslaved in such a small country. But who could upset such a major oil producer that has just aligned themselves to Sharia law?

The article probably wouldn't have appeared if the Thais didn't get caught with their hands in the cookie jar. So they have about 253,822 enslaved on home soil (0.709% of 35.8 million) whilst 475,300 Thais worldwide are enslaved.

I feel sorry for the 35.8 million.

You can't expose the barst@ds in Thailand as they will sue for deformation and slander their good names?

When I met my Thai wife 9 years ago she was working in a farang owned restaurant, 3,000 baht and 2 days off per month. That is pretty damn close to slavery as far as I'm concerned.

Most guys I know who own restaurants get one day off a year and after expenses and family costs would be lucky to make 3000 baht a month. But one day a year off is one more day than a dairy farmer.biggrin.png

There is a lot of difference in making 3000 Baht per month BEFORE expenses than having 3000Baht left AFTER all expenses his turn over earnings could be 300,000 Baht per month,Please don't talk crap whistling.gif

• Like 1

Some more background on the founder (Australian mining billionaire from resources sector) and the Global Freedom Network.

The Global Freedom Network has been inaugurated at the Vatican, and brings together the Catholic, Anglican and Sunni Muslim faiths in a combined effort to stop modern slavery.

Mr Forrest announced a plan he said would free 2.5 million people from slavery in Pakistan.

Mr Forrest has signed a deal with the Pakistani state of Punjab that will give it access to Australian technology that can convert lignite coal into diesel. He says Pakistan in return has agreed to bring in laws to tackle the problem of slavery or bonded labour.

He also helped to launch the Global Slavery Index, alongside Mr Blair and former US secretary of state Hillary Clinton, which found that 29 million people were living in conditions of modern slavery around the world.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-18/forrest-launches-organisation-in-bid-to-end-slavery/5327192

when you are the Agency making up what is "slavery" then you can come up with all kinds of interesting numbers,

There was a report here today that 400,000 kids were"homeless" in California,

Great headline grabber until the start taking what is "homeless" and they count 2 families living in the same house as homeless !

Yes it is a BIG problem , but never believe the numbers when the Agency that it handing them out has a bias, and gets more donations when numbers are higher !

Same goes with Government numbers that are made up to make you feel "Happy"

When I met my Thai wife 9 years ago she was working in a farang owned restaurant, 3,000 baht and 2 days off per month. That is pretty damn close to slavery as far as I'm concerned.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to write.

Rarely have I seen a comment on here which so misunderstands the problem of slavery.

And that's saying something.

• Like 1

Well those figures are surely wrong there are over that many hookers in Bangkok alone. Now add the resort areas and it gets Higher. They trick these young girls in ISSAN to come to big city for job then hook them on drugs, have then work off debt in some seedy bar owned by a cop. Yeah I know your scam and Know which places do it.whistling.gif I would use ladies from there but not hard to tell which places enslave the help.coffee1.gif next

how many more don't realize they are slaves ?

..... the one form of slavery we seldom ever question...being a 'Brain-Slave'.........more,more,more.....

which could co-relate to finding one in a state of permanent 'debt-slavery'.....in North America the credit card companies are constantly throwing money at your feet hoping you will pick it up and make a mad dash to buy that iPod or new 60" Sony or Harley Davidson or F-150 Ford truck (fully loaded)....or,or..... once you exceed your 'liveable means' then 'they' got you where you are needed -working for 'Them' paying high interest rates.

You will be force to live on a budget of rice and ketchup for a lot longer than most are willing to endure in order to get out of this "prison".

It is oh so easy to take the bait! and almost unavoidable now in present-day society, for the multitudes who are not wealthy enough to 'live within their wants' they are exploited by the ranks of the roaming and voracious multi-nationals.

At least in Thailand there is more 'cash' than 'plastic'..... coffee1.gif

Most guys I know who own restaurants get one day off a year and after expenses and family costs would be lucky to make 3000 baht a month. But one day a year off is one more day than a dairy farmer.biggrin.png

There is a lot of difference in making 3000 Baht per month BEFORE expenses than having 3000Baht left AFTER all expenses his turn over earnings could be 300,000 Baht per month,Please don't talk crap whistling.gif

I was making the point that you seem to have missed; that slavery is not working long hard hours for little pay. You may think that slavery is working long hours for little pay but that is not slavery. Please don't talk crap.

and that is why thai people like to "hire" myanmar people & others, so they can pay them slave wagers

and make them feel as the proud owner

People from Dubai and Abu Dhabi hire people from the UK for the same reason and feel the same way.biggrin.png

Edited by thailiketoo

Rarely have I seen a comment on here which so misunderstands the problem of slavery.

You are entitled to your opinion. At the time, the US dollar was worth about 40 baht, 3,000 baht = $75, 30 day month = 28 working days at 10 hours per day = 280 hours, $75 divided by 280 hours equals 26.7 cents per hour. Any employer should be proud to pay such a wage.

At that time is was a normal salary in bars, etc. The salary the boss gave is for doing nothing, just hang around and wait for customers. They get the extra's from drinks, tips and especially the 'oppurtunity' to go with foreigners and have money for that.

She went there to work out of her own free will !? So nothing to do with slavery.

My wife didn't "hang around", She arrived at work at 08:00, opened the place, mopped the floors, she cleaned the toilets and cooked breakfasts for customers that arrived before the cook started work. She ordered supplies for the evening shift and she didn't go on dates with multiple foreigners for money. Get your mind out of the gutter.

You are entitled to your opinion. At the time, the US dollar was worth about 40 baht, 3,000 baht = $75, 30 day month = 28 working days at 10 hours per day = 280 hours, $75 divided by 280 hours equals 26.7 cents per hour. Any employer should be proud to pay such a wage.

It is all relative. I am sure a rich person living in luxury in the Middle East would think you earn a pittance for doing whatever it is you do. Lauren Bacall's 3 bedroom apartment just went on the market for 26 million USD.