Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Looking at my passport again, I can now see a similar rectangular box with a dot in the middle (which I assume is the chip) in the top right-hand corner of the photopage, immediately to the right of the words UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND.

If you have a passport issued in the last 2 years that symbol is not the chip it just indicates a passport that has an RFID chip in it. It is easy to check if the paper is easily flexible the chip isn't there.

post-44962-0-37460000-1407212830_thumb.j

But I was under the impression that the main purpose of the RFID chip for passport-holders at any rate was to enable them to pass through automatic gates at Immigration by holding the front cover of the passport against a scanner (just as Thai nationals, for example, can now, I gather, do at Suvarnabhumi when returning to LOS from foreign parts). If the scanner really has to penetrate the whole passport in order to read an RFID chip buried in the back cover, then the potential for error is surely greater than it would be if the chip was located in the front cover?

RFID Chips can be scanned from several meters away if the equipment is sensitive enough, so the thickness of the passport isn't a problem. However too many staples in the wrong places could potential block the signal. My guess about the sticker is that the metal trace blocks the scanner

And there is no "potential for error" as the chip and software has error correction built in. The chip will either be scanned correctly or not at all.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But I was under the impression that the main purpose of the RFID chip for passport-holders at any rate was to enable them to pass through automatic gates at Immigration by holding the front cover of the passport against a scanner (just as Thai nationals, for example, can now, I gather, do at Suvarnabhumi when returning to LOS from foreign parts). If the scanner really has to penetrate the whole passport in order to read an RFID chip buried in the back cover, then the potential for error is surely greater than it would be if the chip was located in the front cover?

I have passed through the auto gates several times at Heathrow and you open your passport to the photo page and lay it on the scanner, then look at the camera. The camera has to identify the image or you cannot pass through. If I do not take my glasses off it will fail.

Never really watched how the Thai gates work.

The passport I have just renewed had the chip on the reverse of the photo page, quite clearly visible.

Thanks for the clarification. Looking at my passport again, I can now see a similar rectangular box with a dot in the middle (which I assume is the chip) in the top right-hand corner of the photopage, immediately to the right of the words UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND.

And thanks also for the tip about removing your glasses, which I'll bear in mind should similar automatic gates ever appear at the Gare du Nord Eurostar terminal when going over to the UK for a few days while visiting my sister in Paris.smile.png

Passive (non battery powered) RFID Chips normally have some kind of antenna printed with them - this is needed to help pick up a strong enough signal to also generate the power needed for the chip itself to function and to then also transmit a data reply.

Here are some images RFID chip/antennae configurations.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=RFID&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-Address&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tnvgU8bnC82zuASAnIK4DQ&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=985

Hi Folks,

I went through the process a month ago at the Trendy Office Building to renew my passport. The lady dealing with me told me to wait between 6-9 weeks which is fine, however, I was expecting being the British Embassy they would have deducted my account by now.

Roughly, how soon after was your account charged?

Cheers

Unfortunately, something has definitely gone wrong with your application - your credit card should have been debited by HMPO Liverpool within 3-4 days of application.

Phone the HMPO UK Helpline (Skype works fine) now - they are pretty useless, but will at least be able to confirm if you are in the system.

Damn it!

I assumed with the huge backlog there would be delay (6-9 weeks Trendy Office said) I'm in my 4th but expected my account to be debited by now. Got to wait 72 hours for a call back.

Thanks. Hopefully I won't need it.

I enquired because what do I do, stay home everyday wondering if DHL are going to turn up when I'm out? Happened a few times before in the UK. Come home to a "we tried to deliver a parcel, but no-one was home" note. Then it was jump on the motorbike for a 70 mile round trip to collect from the nearest depot. God knows how far in Thailand! As I said before, just simple communication....application number....courier tracking reference = good customer service, peace of mind and a good nights sleep. Staying in Thailand legally is important to me, it's where I've decided to make my home. I'm done with the UK as much as possible, never intending to go back, exiled myself, when the time comes, ready to die here.

Stay calm, Old Chap, it will arrive. Soutpeel told me not to panic & he was correct; it arrived. I had just nipped out for the first time in days & that's when the postman came [DHL hands over to EMS in the sticks]. Postie gave it to the watchman who signed for it & left it propped up on a chair on my porch. . That was when we could send it all to L'pool. I read the above & am appalled by the quagmire I so narrowly missed. Good luck to all of you affected by this witless fiasco.

I have passed through the auto gates several times at Heathrow and you open your passport to the photo page and lay it on the scanner, then look at the camera. The camera has to identify the image or you cannot pass through. If I do not take my glasses off it will fail.

Never really watched how the Thai gates work.

The passport I have just renewed had the chip on the reverse of the photo page, quite clearly visible.

Thanks for the clarification. Looking at my passport again, I can now see a similar rectangular box with a dot in the middle (which I assume is the chip) in the top right-hand corner of the photopage, immediately to the right of the words UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND.

And thanks also for the tip about removing your glasses, which I'll bear in mind should similar automatic gates ever appear at the Gare du Nord Eurostar terminal when going over to the UK for a few days while visiting my sister in Paris.smile.png

Passive (non battery powered) RFID Chips normally have some kind of antenna printed with them - this is needed to help pick up a strong enough signal to also generate the power needed for the chip itself to function and to then also transmit a data reply.

Here are some images RFID chip/antennae configurations.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=RFID&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-Address&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tnvgU8bnC82zuASAnIK4DQ&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=985

This is the reverse of my photo page on the passport just renewed.

205qlwp.jpg

• Like 1

205qlwp.jpg

If you just renewed your passport then you got old passport stock, as that design was introduced in 2006 and superseded sometime in or after October 2010 when the current design was introduced.

The observations page (which you show) is now page 3, a totally different design and has a low res copy of the passport photo. The information page is now on the unnumbered page 2 and the RFID chip is on none of the internal pages it's in one of the covers.

205qlwp.jpg

If you just renewed your passport then you got old passport stock, as that design was introduced in 2006 and superseded sometime in or after October 2010 when the current design was introduced.

The observations page (which you show) is now page 3, a totally different design and has a low res copy of the passport photo. The information page is now on the unnumbered page 2 and the RFID chip is on none of the internal pages it's in one of the covers.

Think you misread the post, this image is from the passport that sandyf has just renewed, not the new one - see his text above highlighted in red.

Hi Folks,

I went through the process a month ago at the Trendy Office Building to renew my passport. The lady dealing with me told me to wait between 6-9 weeks which is fine, however, I was expecting being the British Embassy they would have deducted my account by now.

Roughly, how soon after was your account charged?

Cheers

Unfortunately, something has definitely gone wrong with your application - your credit card should have been debited by HMPO Liverpool within 3-4 days of application.

Phone the HMPO UK Helpline (Skype works fine) now - they are pretty useless, but will at least be able to confirm if you are in the system.

Damn it!

I assumed with the huge backlog there would be delay (6-9 weeks Trendy Office said) I'm in my 4th but expected my account to be debited by now. Got to wait 72 hours for a call back.

Mmmm, there have several posts in this thread reporting that HMPO helpline promised to get back within 72 hours and didn't - don't hold your breath.

The fact that the HMPO helpline couldn't find any record of your application after you presumably provided them with your full name/dob/place and date of application, plus your home address is worrying to say the least.

You should email Newport at [email protected] and see if they can help throw any light on your application.

Did you get a DHL tracking code from trendy, have you checked that your application was in fact delivered and as to who at Liverpool accepted the package?

Perhaps worryingly for you, the average current delay from application to passport collection is now working out at 10 weeks plus, so add your lost weeks, take off a week for delivery/initial processing and you are looking at maybe 13/14 weeks start to finish.

Hope this is not a disaster for you.

btw - welcome to the train wreck, I was relatively lucky since my application only took 9 weeks, this was after the British Embassy in BKK intervened - I ended up safe, just 1 day away from overstay, many have not been so fortunate.

Thanks for the reply and info. It's not a disaster just a big inconvenience as my passport is full and I resign from my job in October, so I'm counting on it arriving before then so I can obtain my new visa as my pages are full at the moment. I wonder, baring in mind my passport is still within date, the embassy could issue me with something in the meantime until my new passport arrives?

I guess I need ti speak to them in Bangkok.

Damn it!

Mmmm, there have several posts in this thread reporting that HMPO helpline promised to get back within 72 hours and didn't - don't hold your breath.

The fact that the HMPO helpline couldn't find any record of your application after you presumably provided them with your full name/dob/place and date of application, plus your home address is worrying to say the least.

You should email Newport at [email protected] and see if they can help throw any light on your application.

Did you get a DHL tracking code from trendy, have you checked that your application was in fact delivered and as to who at Liverpool accepted the package?

Perhaps worryingly for you, the average current delay from application to passport collection is now working out at 10 weeks plus, so add your lost weeks, take off a week for delivery/initial processing and you are looking at maybe 13/14 weeks start to finish.

btw - welcome to the train wreck, I was relatively lucky since my application only took 9 weeks, this was after the British Embassy in BKK intervened - I ended up safe, just 1 day away from overstay, many have not been so fortunate.

Thanks for the reply and info. It's not a disaster just a big inconvenience as my passport is full and I resign from my job in October, so I'm counting on it arriving before then so I can obtain my new visa as my pages are full at the moment. I wonder, baring in mind my passport is still within date, the embassy could issue me with something in the meantime until my new passport arrives?

For 95 GPB, the British Embassy can issue an Emergency Passport (ETD), good for a single journey of up to five stops including a return journey if required, maximum validity 9 months.

Some countries will issue visas in the ETD, some won't - you need to check with the British Embassy Consular Facility in BKK.

The intended journey is itemized on the comments page of the ETD and the current Embassy advice is that Immigration may not honor it if you do not follow the stated itinerary.

As the British Embassy is apparently now swamped with such requests, they will normally only make an appointment to apply if you are just a few days from travel.

You need to figure out the Embassy automatic switchboard options if you actually want to speak to someone in consular services, otherwise you will end up with a recorded message.

A lot depends on what you mean by full and what you want immigration to do. My passport was really full and they squeezed an under consideration stamp into a small space in the corner of a page. I believe someone else got a stamp where a Cambodian visa used to be. You cannot leave the country unless it is on an ETD so immigration is your first option. The Embassy cannot do anything for you other than the ETD.

My application took 10 weeks without any assistance so I think that time will reduce so you may be ok. When I did make an enquiry I got the best response from consular enquiries so I would suggest you send them an email.

[email protected]

I never got an answer from Newport till about a week after I got my passport.

Good luck.

• Like 1

so with (i felt) not long enough time on my visa to get a new passport ( i have only 1 blank page left ) in Thailand, i'd made a plan to go to Cambodia on the 1 month tourist visa (unfortunatelyi need 2 full blank pages for the 12 month visa so i cannot get it) , get my passport there, pay overstay etc.

'officially' i'd gathered it takes 6-10 weeks to order a new passport out here... i'd be willing to pay 1-2 months overstay fines in Cambodia (where i've been told it's just a formality, no nasty over-stay stamps on your passport)....

now i'm hearing it took someone 6 (SIX) months to get a new passport sent out, that's just crazy!

i'm now thinking of buying at ticket back to London and doing it, even though it'll probably take up most of my money so i'll have to stay for a while, but it sounds a better deal than getting stuck in Cambodia and having to pay up to 5 months overstay!

can anyone can shed any light on the current passport renewal time out here? up to 6 months... is this true?

my visa here expires on August 18.... squeeky bum time!

facepalm.gif

Edited by hoyism

There are several serious matters of which to complain:

1. Passport re-issue processing fiasco;
  2. suspicion/probability that a passport ringer has got into Trendy [note the 6-day retention prior informing ready to collect [& this was supposed to maintain security];
  3. failure to inform applicants of progress;
  4. list [some way above] of specific incompetence in processing;
  5. spurious reasoning when brushing off complaints;
  6. inflated cost;
  7. inability to voice meaningful complaint to an MP owing to disenfranchisement despite being taxpayers;
  8. dismissive misconduct of Whitehall/Westminster similar to freezing of pensions of expats, again suggesting need for expat taxpayer voting rights.

There is room for serious complaint here but who among them would be bothered? Any ideas.

• Like 2

so with (i felt) not long enough time on my visa to get a new passport ( i have only 1 blank page left ) in Thailand, i'd made a plan to go to Cambodia on the 1 month tourist visa (unfortunatelyi need 2 full blank pages for the 12 month visa so i cannot get it) , get my passport there, pay overstay etc.

'officially' i'd gathered it takes 6-10 weeks to order a new passport out here... i'd be willing to pay 1-2 months overstay fines in Cambodia (where i've been told it's just a formality, no nasty over-stay stamps on your passport)....

now i'm hearing it took someone 6 (SIX) months to get a new passport sent out, that's just crazy!

i'm now thinking of buying at ticket back to London and doing it, even though it'll probably take up most of my money so i'll have to stay for a while, but it sounds a better deal than getting stuck in Cambodia and having to pay up to 5 months overstay!

can anyone can shed any light on the current passport renewal time out here? up to 6 months... is this true?

facepalm.gif

Current overseas processing time for overseas passport applications in Thailand is 10 weeks plus, with a few reports of a quicker turn-around with significant string puling (MPs, Contacts in Embassy/ HMPO).

Worst case reported to this forum to date is 18 weeks - that's 4.5 months.

So unless you are eligible for a one year Extension of Permission to Stay in Thailand, then the trip back to the UK is your only serious option, other than overstay, or some lucky breaks combined with a 95 GBP ETD.

• Like 2

facepalm.gif

Current overseas processing time for overseas passport applications in Thailand is 10 weeks plus, with a few reports of a quicker turn-around with significant string puling (MPs, Contacts in Embassy/ HMPO).

So unless you are eligible for a one year Extension of Permission to Stay in Thailand, then the trip back to the UK is your only serious option, other than overstay, or some lucky breaks combined with a 95 GBP ETD.

thank you, i'm leaving Thailand, it's either Cambodia or UK

facepalm.gif

thank you, i'm leaving Thailand, it's either Cambodia or UK

Well, good luck - Cambodia is officially signaled as having a 2 weeks longer application to collection time, you send your application direct to HMPO along with your original passport, and collect your new/old passport from VFS Phnom Penh (User Pay).

The potential problems with this will be i) proof of a residential address if you don not live in Cambodia and ii) your passport will have to be sent to the UK with your application and won't come back until your new one is processed, printed and sent.

Cambodia is in HMPO Group 3 Application Guidance Notes, not Group 2 like Thailand, so your documentary Name and Address proof list is from a different HMPO document - see below:

For all other passport applications, you must provide from the list below: • at least one document with photo identity; and • one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency within the last year

• Your British passport (if you are renewing)

• Non-British uncancelled passport

• National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

• Visa or residence permit (or colour photocopy)

• Tax record eg a letter from a tax authority

• Educational record eg school report

• Employment record eg official letter from your employer

• Letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department.

Unfortunately the days of UK 'backpacker' overseas passport renewals seem to be over, if you are travelling and your passport runs out/is full/is stolen, then you are now expected to travel back to the UK on an ETD to renew.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 2

Unfortunately the days of UK 'backpacker' overseas passport renewals seem to be over, if you are travelling and your passport runs out/is full/is stolen, then you are now expected to travel back to the UK on an ETD to renew.

this is true ( and thanks for your reply), it looks like i'm going to have to go back to UK now.

peter emmett
August 11, 2014 at 7:00 am

Hi After ten weeks my passport is ready to collect at trendy bangkok
i have read that a letter is required for imigration to transfer your
extension of stay to your new passport. Can i get this at trendy when i collect my passport or is it an embasy trip. Thanks . pete

peter emmett

extension of stay to your new passport. Can i get this at trendy when i collect my passport or is it an embasy trip. Thanks . pete

Trendy don't do the letter, you need it from the Consular Section of the Embassy in BKK, but note that they shut at 11:00 for applications.

I did mine by purely by email, they need scans of old/new passport ID pages plus details of current extension, last entry to Thailand, last visa, re-entry permit. address.

Transfer letter pro forma was sent by next day EMS to my home address.

Not all Immigration Departments ask for this letter.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Cross Post http://www.richardbarrow.com

peter emmett

Trendy don't do the letter, you need it from the Consular Section of the Embassy in BKK, but note that they shut at 11:00 for applications.

I did mine by purely by email, they need scans of old/new passport ID pages plus details of current extension, last entry to Thailand, last visa, re-entry permit. address.

Kap Choeng never asked for it, best to get the number of your IO and ask what you need first.

Cross Post http://www.richardbarrow.com

peter emmett

Kap Choeng never asked for it, best to get the number of your IO and ask what you need first.

Thank you all, I have cross posted your replies so he can read them direct. I tested that for read only the cross post should work.

can someone explain how the ETD works please

I have the application, I have the police report for the lost passport, do I just go to the Embassy and pay the fee with proof of flight? Then what happens do I just go with that document and book in at airport? or do I have to go to immigration here in Thailand before I get to immigration at the airport?

thanks

I have the application, I have the police report for the lost passport, do I just go to the Embassy and pay the fee with proof of flight? Then what happens do I just go with that document and book in at airport? or do I have to go to immigration here in Thailand before I get to immigration at the airport?

thanks

thanks

Here is a link to the relevant UK Government Web page.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

You need to make an appointment with the British Embassy Consular Facility in BKK.

Since there is currently a lot of demand fro ETDs due to the current rolling disaster with UK Passport applications, they will only take an appointment for an ETD issue if you can show pretty much immediate travel bookings.

Your stated itinerary will be written into the ETD Observations Page (up to five countries with the last being the option of a return).

Did you have an extension of permission to stay in your lost passport with a photo copy as proof (any visas you had are however unfortunately lost with the passport).

If you have proof of this, then maybe you could get these added by Thai immigration with a British Embassy Transfer Pro-forma - available on request from the Consulate.

Advice from the Consulate is that you may have problems with Immigration if you are not simply following the journey listed on your ETD observations page.

thanks

Here is a link to the relevant UK Government Web page.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

You need to make an appointment with the British Embassy Consular Facility in BKK.

Since there is currently a lot of demand fro ETDs due to the current rolling disaster with UK Passport applications, they will only take an appointment for an ETD issue if you can show pretty much immediate travel bookings.

Your stated itinerary will be written into the ETD Observations Page (up to five countries with the last being the option of a return).

Did you have an extension of permission to stay in your lost passport with a photo copy as proof (any visas you had are however unfortunately lost with the passport).

If you have proof of this, then maybe you could get these added by Thai immigration with a British Embassy Transfer Pro-forma - available on request from the Consulate.

Advice from the Consulate is that you may have problems with Immigration if you are not simply following the journey listed on your ETD observations page.

Also forgot to mention, without your original passport, which you posted was lost, Thai Immigration will also want a copy of your last entry stamp put in the ETD.

Your local Thai Immigration Department should be able to reference that information from the national customs entry database and do this, better still if you have photocopies of the last entry page in your passport.

• Like 1