PM's patting of a reporter just a friendly gesture, junta clarifies

Lite Beer

PM's patting of a reporter just a friendly gesture, junta clarifies

BANGKOK: -- A video showing Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha petting a kneeling reporter during a chat with a group of journalists last week has gone viral.

But military authorities say the move was nothing more than a friendly gesture.

"It's normal," junta spokesman Colonel Werachon Sukondhapatipak told AFP. "It's a very friendly gesture, a way of showing personal affection."

One version of the video posted on Facebook has racked up more than 17,000 views while another YouTube clip has garnered more than 46,000 hits.

During the clip Thailand's premier is seen addressing a gaggle of reporters during a recent visit to the Khon Kaen in the Northeast.

Asked whether he was afraid of protests against his junta, Prayut joked: "I am confident that when I am with reporters I am safe. No one can hurt me, right?"

As he spoke he patted a male journalist on the head and then scratched the back of his ear. The reporter was kneeling on the floor to give other camera crews a clear shot.

Netizen reactions ranged from amusement to surprise.

"It's like patting a pet dog in an affectionate way. That was cute for the leader to show mercy to innocent pets," joked one commentator named on YouTube.

"Returning happiness to journalists," added another, in a nod to the junta's promise that their May coup will "return happiness to Thailand".

"Both of them were happy but foreign media are confused."

If the press pack surrounding Prayut were uncomfortable with his gesture, they certainly didn't show it, smiling and laughing alongside him. The face of the reporter who was the object of Prayut's attention, however, cannot be seen.

In Thai culture, the head is a sacred space and touching a stranger there would be considered rude.

"If people are not familiar with each other, they will not touch someone's head. But if they are, it is a show of affection - something parents or adults might do to give a blessing," Dr Jitra Dudsdeemaytha, a lecturer in psychology at Bangkok's Srinakharinwirot University, told AFP.

"In the context [of the video] the prime minister was trying to show his affection."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/PMs-patting-of-a-reporter-just-a-friendly-gesture--30248373.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-23

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friendly gesture if the reporter was your pet dog......duhhhhh

All are the Junta's dogs, anyone not in the junta belong to them and will kneel before the leader. Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

It's a very friendly gesture, a way of showing personal affection."

I will try that excuse next time......

Under Thai customs and etiquette touching a person's head is a sign of disrespect.

The head, being the most sacred part of the body should never be touched. (Do not attempt to even pat the heads of children) The feet being the lowest should never be pointed at other people.

Thanks for that update. I know how touching heads is important. That said, its not as though western men spend their time touching each other on the head either.

When I am busted fondling someone like he did, as I said, I will try my excuse that it was just an innocent show of personal affection.

How does one have a display of personal affection with a stranger.

Honey, it was just a display of personal affection.

I am sure the missus will take it hook lineman sinker. I saw the video, it looked as though he was in his own little world in a milidly sadistic and sinister fashion, fondling a guys earlobe and head whilst this man was kneeling in front of him.

Make of it what you will, I will draw my own inference.

An innocent display of affection????

But, honey, we were only having a bath together.......

Just be sure not to hold her by the ears Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

Under Thai customs and etiquette touching a person's head is a sign of disrespect.

The head, being the most sacred part of the body should never be touched. (Do not attempt to even pat the heads of children) .

Not actually, only those you don't know. Those close to you, like your misses and kids, not an issue. Having said that, just what he's up to with that dude, other taking the mic, I don't know. Edited by daveAustin

The general and the junta just can't buy a headline these days.

Plenty of negative exposure which makes him angry.

That's a good thing and makes me happy.

More to come general!

Very little seems to go right, I guess now even some of the junta must be exasperated.

Has there ever been a coup within a coup here?

Coup within a coup

Interesting and the way things are going......who knows

The general and the junta just can't buy a headline these days.

Plenty of negative exposure which makes him angry.

That's a good thing and makes me happy.

More to come general!

Very little seems to go right, I guess now even some of the junta must be exasperated.

Has there ever been a coup within a coup here?

Thanks for that update. I know how touching heads is important. That said, its not as though western men spend their time touching each other on the head either.

When I am busted fondling someone like he did, as I said, I will try my excuse that it was just an innocent show of personal affection.

How does one have a display of personal affection with a stranger.

Honey, it was just a display of personal affection.

I am sure the missus will take it hook lineman sinker. I saw the video, it looked as though he was in his own little world in a milidly sadistic and sinister fashion, fondling a guys earlobe and head whilst this man was kneeling in front of him.

Make of it what you will, I will draw my own inference.

An innocent display of affection????

But, honey, we were only having a bath together.......

Just sure not to hold her by the ears

Did you see the video?

He's prime minister for gods sake. I mean, honestly, what type of impression does that give in Thailand let alone the rest of the world?

It really looked horrible, sinister, and distinctly dodgy, to put it lightly.

This is the PM people. Truly bizarre.

It is as bizarre as a deputy PM promising to behead himself and another deputy PM dressing up as a 13th century king.

I agree the most popular PM in the last decades actions are no becoming though. All these actions are not becoming of politicians representing the country no matter what party they come from. Elected or unelected.

Someone did that to me, I'd give them a smack on the nose. Whoever it was angry.png

A smack on the nose is as disrespectful as a pat on the head. So through your actions you would be lowering yourself to their standards and indicating it is acceptable to do that.

That is why reform is needed. If someone does something disrespectful one should not do something disrespectful back.

I agree the most popular PM in the last decades actions are no becoming though.

Says WHO? huh.png Oh right. You and ginjang, who is suspiciously absent from this thread. He been commandeered into adjusting attitudes and left you to hold the fort? laugh.png

I suspect the usual suspects have absented themselves in reaction to the earlier reference to the "Junta's dogs". A little too close for comfort.