Former Thai PM Anand questions sincerity to fight graft

webfact

History will not judge Anand quite as kindly as he would like, especially in regard to the military's behaviour during the May 92 violence (which I did not witness personally, though I was there). But there's no denying he twice brought the country back on course through his skills and (flawed?) integrity, and his connections. So for him to mention "... rumours of a deal between the military rulers and the old power clique..." is very telling indeed. In many ways this "old power clique" were vitally important to him in restoring order 22years ago, so any criticism by him of them needs to be taken seriously.

• Like 2

There will also be those who will think along the lines of ' we got away with it before so we will do it again' or 'they got away with it so we can do it'.

Yes, that definitinely seems to be the case when it comes to the biggest illegality being Military Coup and scrapping the constitution

They keep getting away with it, so they keep doing it.

• Like 1

What has he done on corruption when anan was pm himself? Nothing. In fact the rkich got richer.

That's funny, my memory is that while he was PM (and remember he was appointed by another junta and they were looking over his shoulder all the time, and they were hugely corrupt) corruption was much less than before (Chatchai Choonhaven's Buffet Cabinet). Granted, he did not jail many corrupt generals, but they would have shot him. I still consider him the best Prime Minister Thailand has had over the last thirty-five years. I have to admit Prem was pretty good, though.

• Like 1

^^^ Anand is one of the few people whom the military cannot touch. After the military overthrew Chatchai (partly because his battlefield to marketplace philosophy did not sit well with them), they needed to restore some credibility before installing Hia Su as PM, so Anand with his diplomatic background was the perfect choice. Though he wasn't able to stop Su, he did do things (memory vague, sorry) that had a lot of my anti-military Thai colleagues cheering.

What has he done on corruption when anan was pm himself? Nothing. In fact the rkich got richer.

And all corruption stopped under Abhisit then did it?

It decreased and leveled off in spite of him having to take on the parasite parties to form a coalition then took off again once Yingluck took over :

post-12069-0-99037300-1416885105_thumb.j

• Like 1

It decreased and leveled off in spite of him having to take on the parasite parties to form a coalition then took off again once Yingluck took over :

attachicon.gif576x544xCorruption-Perceptions-Index-THAILAND-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.NKNgav0HXt1.jpg

This guy Ab., was VERY limited to as to what power he had with the dung he had to work with. Shame it went down hill Jack and Jill style PTP.

attachicon.gif576x544xCorruption-Perceptions-Index-THAILAND-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.NKNgav0HXt1.jpg

This guy Ab., was VERY limited to as to what power he had with the dung he had to work with. Shame it went down hill Jack and Jill style PTP.

If they were more popular it would not have been necessary to have to work with the 'dung'.

Could he not have apologized and declared that the other 'dung' and 'parasite' parties were not of the ethical standards he holds dear, and declined to work with them?

Anand seems like a knowledgable fellow....but how many skeletons does he have in his closet?

Less than anyone else I would guess. He has a justifiable reputation for both honesty and humility. I have seen him queuing for a table in a restaurant - and refusing an offer to bypass the queue.