Bangkok Bank refuse to return my 50.000 B for Credit Card.

To cut a long story short, I handed my credit card back, I did everything properly, going to the head office in Bangkok, they stamped the 50.000 Baht in my bank book and told me I had to go the my local Bangkok Bank branch to receive my 50.000 Baht.

When I went to the bank this morning, I handed my bank book to the teller and asked for the money, he looked at me, shook his head and said 'No'. He cannot speak English, but it was very obvious he knew I wanted the withdrawal.

Surely I am entitled to get my deposit back.

I assume you mean 50,000 (fifty thousand) baht. That must have been the guarantee you put up in a fixed deposit account against the credit limit. You are most certainly entitled to that money back with interest if you terminate the card with no outstanding debt. Ask to speak to the branch manager or call head office.

• Like 1

Was it a "deposit" or was it a "fee" for issuance of the card ?

No Charlie, I was given a special bank book with the card, the 50.000 Baht was security for the card as I don't have a work permit etc. I decided to hand the card back, I went to the head office in Bangkok, and they said I had to come back again in a month. I went back again last week, and they stamped 50.000 Baht in the book and told me to go to my local branch for the money.

They do speak good English, this being Thailand, I am worried I will not see the money again.

Was it a "deposit" or was it a "fee" for issuance of the card ?

No Charlie, I was given a special bank book with the card, the 50.000 Baht was security for the card as I don't have a work permit etc. I decided to hand the card back, I went to the head office in Bangkok, and they said I had to come back again in a month. I went back again last week, and they stamped 50.000 Baht in the book and told me to go to my local branch for the money.

They do speak good English, this being Thailand, I am worried I will not see the money again.

I did the exact same thing. Of course you will get your money!
  • Like 2

I assume you mean 50,000 (fifty thousand) baht. That must have been the guarantee you put up in a fixed deposit account against the credit limit. You are most certainly entitled to that money back with interest if you terminate the card with no outstanding debt. Ask to speak to the branch manager or call head office.

Thanks, that has been done. I was at the head office in Bangkok.

Sure you will get your deposit back. I expect there was a miss-communication...the ol' English-Thai language thing. I expect your home branch needs something from the credit card side of Bangkok Bank saying the card has been cancelled/turned in and there is no outstanding balance. I've also heard that sometimes it may take 30-45 days to get the deposit back "in case any delayed credit card charges come rolling in...like a merchant was slow in doing the final processing on a card transaction.

• Like 1

Sure you will get your deposit back. I expect there was a miss-communication...the ol' English-Thai language thing. I expect your home branch needs something from the credit card side of Bangkok Bank saying the card has been cancelled/turned in and there is no outstanding balance. I've also heard that sometimes it may take 30-45 days to get the deposit back "in case any delayed credit card charges come rolling in...like a merchant was slow in doing the final processing on a card transaction.

Thanks Pib.

I went with a friend a a few months ago to a Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai, to help him hand in his CC that had a guaranteed FD account on it for 200,000 Baht. The girl we saw was excellent doing all the required paperwork, cutting the card in two stapling it to all the paperwork etc.

She said she would call him in a month, which she did saying the funds would be un-frozen in 8 more days time, which they were.

Don't worry you will get your money back.

• Like 1

Generally the bank(s) hold on to the guarantee/deposit for one month (this may vary from bank to bank) just to cover any eventual late charges to the card. This is just to cover their own risk.

I'm confident you'll get your money back, just ask them "How long you have to wait until you can have the guarantee/deposit refunded".

• Like 2

sounds loke the same my bank in USA did when i canceled a checking account recently.

I returned all checks closed the account but could not withdraw the funds until after the next billing period.

just in case i have had any out standing checks written on the account.

30 days or after billing period you should be fine.

My wife went to the bank (remember they cannot speak English) about 15Ks from my village, they told her I have to wait three months to get my 50,000 Baht back.

When I was at the head office in Bangkok, the woman spoke good English. so you have to wonder why she did not tell me then.

She was probably in a hurry to have her lunch and forgot.