51-year-old woman run over by Bangkok-Saiyok waterfall train

webfact

51-year-old woman run over by Bangkok-Saiyok waterfall train

BANGKOK: -- A 51-year-old woman was run over and killed by the tourist Bangkok-Saiyok Noi Waterfall at a railway crossing in Kanchanburi's Tha Rua district at 9:30 am Friday.

The woman was identified as Phakjira Ngamsiriworakul. Eyewitnesses told police that the woman was crossing the road back from the fresh market there back to her pick-up truck and did not see the approaching train.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/51-year-old-woman-run-over-by-Bangkok-Saiyok-water-30249202.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-05

I wonder if there is a regulation stating all engineers must sound the train whistle when approaching a crossing.

May the lady rest in peace.

No need to wonder Pimay, there is a regulation, as in all countries where there are railways, that requires the operator to sound a horn or whistle at a level crossing and in areas where there is restricted visibility etc.

Obviously this poor lady failed to see, hear/heed the warning. The market straddles the tracks at that location I believe, rather like the Mahachai market in Samut Songkram. I doubt the train was traveling very fast.

• Like 2

"A 51-year-old woman was run over and killed by the tourist Bangkok-Saiyok Noi Waterfall at a railway crossing in Kanchanburi's Tha Rua district at 9:30 am Friday."

Why the 'tourist' waterfall, and how does one get run over by a waterfall?

Tourist being an obfuscation of truth?

Why not 'Thai tourist waterfall area railway crossing?' facepalm.gif

• Like 2

"A 51-year-old woman was run over and killed by the tourist Bangkok-Saiyok Noi Waterfall at a railway crossing in Kanchanburi's Tha Rua district at 9:30 am Friday."

It's a special tourist train that runs from BKK to Saiyok Noi Waterfall, only on weekends and holidays.

51-year-old woman run over by Bangkok-Saiyok waterfall train.

That was the headline. The train killed her in Tha Rua Market area in Tha Maka district, miles from the famous waterfall.

Might be something to do with The Nation's proof and copy readers?

• Like 1

That was the headline. The train killed her in Tha Rua Market area in Tha Maka district, miles from the famous waterfall.

Headline to first line, probably so. Google translate is pretty crap; I always use Babylon. ;)

Oh dear.... I think we all actually understood what happened, it was sad.

I wonder if there is a regulation stating all engineers must sound the train whistle when approaching a crossing.

Are you trying to blame the train driver?

Why should engineers have to sound a "train whistle"?

It's just a translation from a Thai language report, as you well know. It's certainly not obfuscation.

Right;

Tha_Maka is about 30 kilometers before arriving in Kanchanaburi coming from Bangkok ;

Tha_Maka is on the road 323 going to Ban_Pong and Nakhon_Phathom;

Tha_Rua is between Tha_Muang and Tha_Maka ;

the railway crossing is on the road 3081 going to road 346 .

About the speed of the train, from Kan'buri to Sai_Yok it's very slow .

• Like 1

When train versus old rusty pick up it’s the pickup that usually comes in second RIP to the poor lady and hope her death is seen as a warning to others that railways and cars don’t mix well.

This story has nothing to do with rusty old pick up's or cars, the lady was a walker, Jim

Tragic accident that could happen to anyone, which one lapse moment of concentration. She was on the phone.

post-62796-0-64575000-1417798196_thumb.j post-62796-0-77482200-1417798205_thumb.j post-62796-0-88499900-1417798417_thumb.j

She maybe had made that walk a thousand times, but today was her last.

RIP

Edited by Boycie

Are you trying to blame the train driver?

Why should engineers have to sound a "train whistle"?

No sir, I'm not trying to blame the train driver. I was only trying to get some information and ratcatcher so graciously supplied the answer. Evidently the lady was concentrating on listening to the phone call and failed to hear or recognize the train whistle/horn. The video below is at a different location than where the woman was killed but it's the same postulated sequence.

Your second question is quite tempting but I'll pass.

Edited by Pimay1