A Personal Story – With A Warning For Almost Everyone - Update

David48

So - are you going to change your in flight routine now...Seat exercises? Walking around the cabin - what intervals? Stand up exercises? Stretching?

Be careful NEVER to take a hit in the head on blood thinners - lost two people I know that way.....

Edited by pgrahmm

and I'm being treated with the blood thinning agent, Warfarin.....which is also used as rat poison

There is no need for hyperbole. Saccharin is also used in rat poison, as is aspartame. The key lies in understand the difference between 'dose' and'dosaged' - do you?

David, I hope everything improves for you with the effects of the DVT .

I understand that with DVT the chance of stroke increases too . And my ex-wife got DVT from having her leg in plaster when she broke it and spent time in a hospital bed.

And taking Warfarin is no fun just having to be aware of your intake of green vegetables like broccoli ,kale etc that contain Vitamin K that counteract the effect blood thinning of warfarin. .

The other side effect of taking blood thinners is travel insurance if you take blood thinners like Warfarin. Alliance Insurance or any insurance that is underwritten by Alliance completely wipes you completely . Look at the small print ,usually under the pre-existing medical conditions. I guess this is because if you have, for example , a car accident you can , in theory , bleed to death. Even dental treatment such as canal root therapy needs pre-op precautions.

Best of luck mate.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear David. I would like to hear more about DVT. I have heard about it, but not from personal experience. The symptoms etc.

Perhaps you could repost in the medical forum.

It is difficult to get day flights to Australia. I find it easier to move about the cabin during day flights.

Do office workers get DVT? Or does altitude play a part....

The reason for the re-posting is simple, the old topic is Archived, and you can't re-open an Archived Topic.

Plus it peak holiday time, thus a timely reminder that something, which has such devastating health consequences, a Blood clot can so easily be prevented.

also ... it's not an 'old man disease'.

I'm not old or young.

I'm not fat or thin.

I'm reasonably fit, but not a marathon runner.

I'm Mr Average ... call me Joe.

But, when flying, hours of inactivity starts the process.

The air-conditioning de-humidifies the air.

Blood pools in the lower legs.

Overnight flights the hosties are difficult to find, and, maybe if you are like me ... don't wish to disturb the sleeping passenger next to you to get up and exercise a bit.

• Hydrate
  • Exercise
  • Get up and around
  • Consider the support socks

I'm surprised at the number of people who choose to take a sleeping tablet when they fly and wake up 6 - 8 hours later ... having immobilised themselves for that time. I can understand why ... but the dangers are there.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear David. I would like to hear more about DVT. I have heard about it, but not from personal experience. The symptoms etc.

Perhaps you could repost in the medical forum.

It is difficult to get day flights to Australia. I find it easier to move about the cabin during day flights.

Do office workers get DVT? Or does altitude play a part....

I've done a Medical Explanation also in the Medical Forum here.

Here is the main post from that ...

I'll try and keep this light-hearted ... but some serious medical info can kick us off.

open-uri20120820-21382-19y01dp.jpeg?1345

You've settled into your seat, had a few beers, a meal ... and the movie has just started.

A couple of hours later, you are feeling relaxed ... you can see what is happening outside ... but what's happening inside your body?

Because you don't ask the blood to do much work ... it starts to just 'hang around' - pooling in your lower legs.

Your blood gets lazy - in some people it starts to clot. Sort of like going on strike. Just sits down and refuses to go anywhere.

The 'non-return' valves you see above sometimes stop operating efficiently ... sometimes stop working at all.

Inactivity and dehrdration are the friends of DVT.

Good advice David....even a pisshead like me makes sure to drink plenty water between glasses of champagne.

Not a good idea to remain sitting for so long and one of the reasons I prefer a decent stopover in the Middle East.....seven hours this time....long enough for me to recharge my batteries a bit.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your troubles David. Just had a 16 hour flight from NYC to Taipei and slept for 7 hours straight with the help of a neck support and mask. Not a good idea in retrospect. Wish I had read your post a day earlier. I did walk about several times (came across one dude doing situps in the flight attendant area) but in recent years they have limited the access available for this by cordoning off business class. Got in trouble with a flight attendant a year ago because I boldly pulled the curtain aside and continued on my forced march. The dude had some control issues - just they way he seemed to take my trespass very personally.

As far as flight socks go the jury is still out on their effectiveness:

...measures such as taking aspirin and wearing the high socks are not backed up by scientific research... people most at risk from developing DVT were by far those who have a predisposition to blood clots, rather than where people sit on the aircraft or how much alcohol they drink.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/compression-socks-dont-stop-dvt/story-e6frfqfr-1226632676996

Don't suppose wearing them would hurt any... aside from them being so damned uncomfortable that is.

Speedy recovery.

and I'm being treated with the blood thinning agent, Warfarin.....which is also used as rat poison

There is no need for hyperbole. Saccharin is also used in rat poison, as is aspartame. The key lies in understand the difference between 'dose' and'dosaged' - do you?

DD ... this is one of the weirdest posts I've read for a while ... and I read a lot.

I'm taking medically prescribed Warfarin, I have my INR (blood thinness) monitored on a regular basis ...

that INR is controlled by the Warfarin.

and you are asking me about dose and dosage ... blink.png

David it's not weird some time ago when I had my regular medical I had a high reading on my liver function test and I thought it was due to the copious amounts of alcohol but after staying off the booze for four months the test hardly moved. Found out it was all the Diet Coke and Coke Zero I was drinking which are full of artificial sweeteners.

Hope you get better soon.

• Like 1

I remember trying to get those stockings onto my mum in Africa on the way home, took me and my sis about half an hour for each leg. That was 10 years ago.

Perhaps they have changed the socks since. Are they more flexible.

Now it is us, her daughters, who have to think about them for ourselves...!!

I can imagine the conversation - got your sexy socks on, yes, no, get them on, no, ok, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, on.

Sort of like one of those rubber suits that we see on the internet occasionaly. But if they save my live why not.

Thanks for bringing this up again. I don't fly as much now, but use to a lot several years ago. And like mentioned above, would pop a pill and sleep for 7 hours or so. I'll have to take a peek around here and see where you can get those socks.

I got some for my mom a few years ago and as mentioned before, they are hard to get on!!

You have to get behind your mother, almost like she was giving birth. And pull instead of all those years ago when she pushed.

And she will curse and so shall you. But mine is still alive at 85, and so am i and my sis.

Because, perhaps, she wore the socks.

Put some baby powder inside.

Edited by Patsycat

You penned it down 2 years ago , why now again?

A new audience. And possibly advances in prevention and treatment.

Warfarin is still the main drug used from my knowledge, plus, if you been in an accident, it's fairly easy to reverse.

Warfarin 'thins' the blood, making more difficult to clot.

Usually you stay on a course of Warfin for 6 - 12 months, then, often onto common Aspirin. Usually a 80mg dose as opposed to a 'normal' Aspirin tablet which is 300mg.

Sometimes Aspirin can cause the thinning of the stomach lining.

With Warfarin the most common side-effects are ... "They can also suffer dramatic side effects, including spontaneous heavy bruising, internal bleeding and hair loss. "

At-alternative-taking-rat-poison-The-effects-blood-thinner-warfarin-bring-misery-thousands-theres-option

The full joy of Warfarin can be found here at this Mayo Clinic Article

So, to battle the DVT, there is a combination of chemical solutions, both preventative and treatment, plus the mechanical solution of the travel socks or the compression stocking.

When I travel, or my leg feels 'heavy' ... I wear one of these.

Jobst-Relief-Open-Toe.jpg

These aren't the travel socks which you buy at the airport ... that's a different product.

My simple take-out message is prevention.

Do the exercises.

Consider flight socks

Get up and walk around a bit.

Drink a modest amount of water.

Maybe an aspirin before you fly.

I'm in good health, I still play squash, do all the normal things I did before I got the DVT

But now have one varicose vein and those fine blueish veins in my foot, sometimes.

Prevention Gentlemen ... Prevention.

• Like 2

I fly around 150 thousand miles a year as an air courier and will vouch for the effectiveness of compression stockings. before I began to use them, sometimes I could not get my shoes back on at the end of a flight because my feet had swollen so much....especially if I was unlucky enough to be in a center seat.

It's worth stressing that proper fit is extremely important for these stockings to do their job well. It's not only the tightness...it's the location and degree of compression that is critical. Very much worth it to consult with a Doctor. If you go to a website that sells these socks, you will find a very wide range of sizes with special codes that delineate fit.

BTW, has anybody reading this found a source of these stockings in Bangkok? I've always had to purchase mine in the US.

• Like 2

My blood is already too thin, a bleeder. I can't take aspirin. Maybe just those calf exercises will work. How about those electric exerciser pads you see advertised on television?

Can infants and kids get it? My son runs a marathon in his sleep, literally, to the annoyance of Mum and Dad.

The biggest problem between Thailand and Australia are those flight schedules. We often stop-over in Singapore or KL, but that is tiring in itself; and a bit more money.

Very interesting post David, and thanks.

Oh, I forgot. The symptoms? A toothache in the legs? Geez, I get that all the time......