Police targeting Foreigner's. 3 months at Asoke/Suk...what to do now?

USAgoodMAN

17 years here and never been stopped for anything. If you allow the scaremongers to ruin your day, up to you.

26 years in Thailand, never been stopped, never been asked for passport or id

I don't think senior citizens are what the police are targeting gents. Just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Sometimes I'm really glad I'm not white, cops never stop us other expats.

Try telling that to the Nigerians and other Africans that are rounded up en masse with regularity!

Thought about them only after I posted. So in Thailand , all blacks are drug dealers and all white people must be rich enough for the policemen to scam.

The Nigerians are usually rounded up for visa/immigration checks, although I would think drug tests might also be made.

I'd say for go for it and don't worry- especially if you're not planning on any recreational drug use before or during your time here.

Carry a copy of your passport photo page and the page with your entry stamp.

Personally I can think of many nicer areas to stay that Asoke but it's your holiday- so don't worry, carry on regardless and enjoy yourself :-)

@geistfunke: I don't agree with your advice. Thailand is certainty safer now then when the protests were happening, especially in Bangkok. Thailand is still one of the best places to visit in Asia.

I not like to go into all details here, but OP is planning a "Long Holiday" @ Sukhumvit/Asoke/Thong Lor and this "could" contain walking on the street and visiting one of the famous Massage Shops.

At the moment tourists are in danger from all sides:

1) Police drug checks on the street Sukhumvit/Asoke/Thong Lor - out of control, I could witness the bag searches at the Ekkamai bus station myself

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780754-police-stop-and-searches-on-sukhumvit-on-the-rise/

2) Immigration Police - searching massage shops for foreign ladies not far from Sukhumvit (Huai Khwang massage parlour search on last Friday night)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/783927-police-officer-fired-faces-probe-for-forgery/

3.) Soldiers - searching and try to close massage shops for foreigners in Thong Lor

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/779812-army-close-all-happy-ending-massage-shops-on-sukhumvit/

This is not the kind of a relaxed Holiday in freedom with a Happy Ending. For my best (single) friends the advice is clear. Stay away, go visit another country and wait 1-2 years before you can (maybe) come back to Thailand. But one thing I agree with you:

"Thailand is certainty safer now then when the protests were happening, especially in Bangkok."

@geistfunke: I don't agree with your advice. Thailand is certainty safer now then when the protests were happening, especially in Bangkok. Thailand is still one of the best places to visit in Asia.

I not like to go into all details here, but OP is planning a "Long Holiday" @ Sukhumvit/Asoke/Thong Lor and this "could" contain walking on the street and visiting one of the famous Massage Shops.

At the moment tourists are in danger from all sides:

1) Police drug checks on the street Sukhumvit/Asoke/Thong Lor - out of control, I could witness the bag searches at the Ekkamai bus station myself

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780754-police-stop-and-searches-on-sukhumvit-on-the-rise/

2) Immigration Police - searching massage shops for foreign ladies not far from Sukhumvit (Huai Khwang massage parlour search on last Friday night)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/783927-police-officer-fired-faces-probe-for-forgery/

3.) Soldiers - searching and try to close massage shops for foreigners in Thong Lor

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/779812-army-close-all-happy-ending-massage-shops-on-sukhumvit/

This is not the kind of a relaxed Holiday in freedom with a Happy Ending. For my best (single) friends the advice is clear. Stay away, go visit another country and wait 1-2 years before you can (maybe) come back to Thailand. But one thing I agree with you:

"Thailand is certainty safer now then when the protests were happening, especially in Bangkok."

Hysterical over-reactions and referring to "tourists in danger" doesn't help the situation. This has been happening for years, and if anything, Bangkok is a far safer place for tourists now than it has been for a long time.

I don't think it's overreacting or hysterical. Thai Police are know worldwide as scammers.

You want to take a chance of being setup/extorted by some lowlife with a badge that needs beer and cigarette money?

Visitors are terrorized by these punks for fun and profit.

• Like 1

If you don't do anything wrong, usually you don't need to bribe your way out of a problem neither. Not trying to be naive but a good starting point is not to do anything wrong, have your passport with you, behave normal.

I was 3 days in Bangkok last week and Sukhumvit was packed with foreigners. It doesn't look like tourist numbers are down. Probably the opposite is true, December/January year on year is probably up. I saw a few police men but no stop/searches. Those reports seem somewhat exaggerated.

Being asked some questions and searched by the police isn't the worst as long as you're not bribed, robbed, or have something planted on you.

Is any of the above actually happening or are you just sent on your way if everything is in order?

As long as you have ID (passport or copy, showing ID page and visa stamp), you should be fine. If you don't have ID it may cost you, although depending on the mood of the cop, you may be let off with a warning. There have been reports of people being asked for urine samples to test for drugs, which is unpleasant and unsettling and there's a fair bit of advice on this Forum about how to deal with this if it happens to you.

I've not seen any substantiated reports of drugs being planted, although it makes sense to turn out your own pockets and be aware of what they are doing!

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Just enjoy your holiday and carry ID with you. The chances of you being stopped are minimal and even if you are, if you have your ID you'll be fine. Don't let Forum hysteria affect you!

Very True , I was a tad concerned about spending last weekend in Asok area, but I didn't see one copper. Good idea to carry PP though. If you do get a pull , not having PP , gets their foot in the door

Do not live in fear

Enjoy your time in Bkk

Go about life as normal

Enjoy your time here

Americans are conditioned by their government to be afraid (of The police, black men, the Muslim terrorist behind every tree); it's through this fear that they are controlled. Therefore, please understand it's hard for this chap to get past it.

Hell I'm an American, I never got "conditioned" one way or the other. With that said, it's crystal clear the comment is a load of crap and I can see from here in Chiang Mai.

Just remembered that indeed I have been stopped once, about 4 years ago.

Was in a taxi with a female business partner. We were chatting and sitting on the opposing ends of the backseat, both leaning against the door,thus keeping as much distance as possible in a taxi.

Cop stops the taxi, saying that it is illegal to get intimate on a backseat and wanted to make a stink.

I started outright laughing and the lady I was with gave him an earful how he could dare suspecting that she could be a bar girl....