Decision on Yingluck 'negligence' case not till next year

webfact

Decision on Yingluck 'negligence' case not till next year
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A decision on whether to indict former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra for negligence in failing to stop graft and massive losses in the rice-pledging scheme may be reached after New Year's, Deputy Attorney-General Wuthi-pong Wiboonwong said yesterday.

A decision had earlier been expected tomorrow at a meeting between the National Anti-Corruption Commission and the Office of the Attorney-General.

Wuthipong said the NACC and the Office normally met on December 25 each year to discuss cases they jointly worked on. He expected the agencies would discuss what the Office has called "holes" in Yingluck's case.

"Although the Office has called an urgent meeting for Thursday, it is unlikely that we can resolve the case this year. We might have to call another meeting early next year. This case is under the public spotlight, so we have to speed up the decision," he said.

He said state prosecutors still insisted the anti-graft agency should interrogate more witnesses. "If the NACC accepts the Office's demand to question more witnesses, prosecutors may take up the case for indictment," he said.

The meeting tomorrow will be the fourth between the Office and NACC on the rice-pledging scheme.

Wuthipong said he would not attend because he had already presented points he wanted to cover in the case.

The Office had earlier called on the NACC to question witnesses over the existence of a government-to-government rice deal. The agency, however, insisted that was not necessary, as the information would be irrelevant because the NACC had accused Yingluck of dereliction of duty to stop corruption.

NACC secretary-general Sansern Poljiak said not all members of the joint panel would attend the meeting as some had other business to finish but that would not affect the outcome. He said an NACC member would present an audit report on the first and second rounds of the rice scheme as urged by General Boonsrang Niumpradit, chairman of the National Legislative Assembly's committee on administration.

He said the joint panel might meet again after New Year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Decision-on-Yingluck-negligence-case-not-till-next-30250544.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-24

A decision had earlier been expected tomorrow at a meeting between the National Anti-Corruption Commission and the Office of the Attorney-General.

Tomorrow, next year, the 12th of never, hands up if you expect anything to happen. Nothing has changed.

• Like 2

I feel a bit sorry for Yingluck. Virtually everyone connected with the last administration was guilty of dereliction of duty for failing to take the steps they could to stop corruption. The charge is incongruous. Most of them were actually ENGAGED in corruption, it seems to me.

• Like 2

Tomorrow, next year, the 12th of never, hands up if you expect anything to happen. Nothing has changed.

Will be dropped and forgotten due to lack of evidence... whistling.gifwhistling.gif

"... This case is under the public spotlight, so we have to speed up the decision ... "

By putting it off even longer, I wonder why ... ?

Cynics might suggest deals are being made behind closed doors to ensure nothing serious happens and ensure that a precedent isn't set that doesn't suit the incumbent PM and future PM and their minions.

Quite possible.. I mean what would the world come to if politicians have to pay back money lost and stolen. That would set bad precedents. We all know YL was responsible for the rice scheme that was proposed as self financing / budget neutral (for those that don't understand means it would not cost a thing and was not budgeted because budget was already in a large deficit). So when they are talking about a loss.. they are right as it was not budgeted even though proof came out it was costing money (700 billion or more latest count).

People involved were bullied threatened until the army came and shown the world what was truly going on.

Now this same army must have the balls to go after YL and her minions, and hopefully it does set a precedent so that bad politicians of whatever color will be held responsible for their actions.

(I wont hold my breath)

• Like 1

I think the office of the OAG certainly DO NOT want to go ahead with this case against Yinluck. Someone there has been got-at. Lets hope the NACC have the cahoonies to go after this ex-PM on their own. I think there might be a bit of a surprise come Thursday as this article is taken from the Deputy Attorney General and I reckon the NACC may have a different view. wai2.gif

• Like 1

I think the office of the OAG certainly DO NOT want to go ahead with this case against Yinluck. Someone there has been got-at. Lets hope the NACC have the cahoonies to go after this ex-PM on their own. I think there might be a bit of a surprise come Thursday as this article is taken from the Deputy Attorney General and I reckon the NACC may have a different view. wai2.gif

"... This case is under the public spotlight, so we have to speed up the decision ... "

Cynics might suggest deals are being made behind closed doors to ensure nothing serious happens and ensure that a precedent isn't set that doesn't suit the incumbent PM and future PM and their minions.

Quite possible.. I mean what would the world come to if politicians have to pay back money lost and stolen. That would set bad precedents. We all know YL was responsible for the rice scheme that was proposed as self financing / budget neutral (for those that don't understand means it would not cost a thing and was not budgeted because budget was already in a large deficit). So when they are talking about a loss.. they are right as it was not budgeted even though proof came out it was costing money (700 billion or more latest count).

People involved were bullied threatened until the army came and shown the world what was truly going on.

Now this same army must have the balls to go after YL and her minions, and hopefully it does set a precedent so that bad politicians of whatever color will be held responsible for their actions.

(I wont hold my breath)

As she went out of the country with her son and came back + all the other family members didn't flee it is sure that an agreement was found. Reconciliation: We don't make problems for you, you don't mess in Thailands politic.

We could see after the Surayut government how well this worked.

2017 demonstrations

2019 next coup

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

(I wont hold my breath)

You mean the same Army that has now given the rice and rubber farmers a new gurantee pricing program that will further drive the national debt? The same Army that has created new subsidies for rice, rubber, and milk farmers? The military coup and its PDRC cohorts have cost the nation about 3.5%-5% GDP growth over 2013 and 2014 with a likelihood of low GDP growth in 2015. Will they be held accountable for such economic losses to the nation? I'm all for precedent but it has to be consistently and fairly applied.

• Like 1

I feel a bit sorry for Yingluck. Virtually everyone connected with the last administration was guilty of dereliction of duty for failing to take the steps they could to stop corruption. The charge is incongruous. Most of them were actually ENGAGED in corruption, it seems to me.

And the lot before them. At least we don't see any PT members hiding in a temple yet.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

(I wont hold my breath)

You mean the same Army that has now given the rice and rubber farmers a new gurantee pricing program that will further drive the national debt? The same Army that has created new subsidies for rice, rubber, and milk farmers? The military coup and its PDRC cohorts have cost the nation about 3.5%-5% GDP growth over 2013 and 2014 with a likelihood of low GDP growth in 2015. Will they be held accountable for such economic losses to the nation? I'm all for precedent but it has to be consistently and fairly applied.

Chicken egg.. the army had to step in because of the slaughter committed by your red friends on protesters. Had YL kept her terrorists wing from doing this no problems. Also all would have been diverted if Thaksin was not included in the amnesty.

You don't know how the growth would have been if this fighting has gone on so your argument about growth is moot and does not support a thing.

As for new price programs for farmers, I am against them and have always been against them no matter what side gives them. However the subsidies are far lower and more sustainable as the rice scam that was not even been budgeted. Still I am against farm subsidies wherever in the world. Farmers need to learn to stand on their own feet just like any business. Temporary help and re-schooling and change instead of a permanent subsidie infuse is something I do agree with.

• Like 2

(I wont hold my breath)

As she went out of the country with her son and came back + all the other family members didn't flee it is sure that an agreement was found. Reconciliation: We don't make problems for you, you don't mess in Thailands politic.

We could see after the Surayut government how well this worked.

2017 demonstrations

2019 next coup

I thought it went in 4 year rotations with the demonstrations/coups and only on even numbered years ...

(I wont hold my breath)

I'm curious, how did you get to the 3.5%-5% loss in GDP growth over 2013/2014 ... and how can you blame that solely on the PDRC/coup?

(I wont hold my breath)

I'm curious, how did you get to the 3.5%-5% loss in GDP growth over 2013/2014 ... and how can you blame that solely on the PDRC/coup?

You just need to do a little search on the internet with keywords: GDP, Thailand, Protest, forecast.

This is what I found. It's only on 2014, but it makes the assumption look reasonable:

First a report by the university of the Chamber of Commerce (not a red shirt nest, obviously), stating that:

(news from December 17th, 2013)

"The Economic and Business Forecast Center of the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce forecast that the ongoing political unrest could inflict loss of over 200-300 billion baht on the economy with GDP growing less than 3 %."

They also declare "However, he said the center has forecast that Thailand’s economy should increase by 4-4.5 percent, lower than prior prediction of 5.1 percent, and the country would lose 70-100 billion baht because of the prolonged political protests."

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/protests-hinder-gdp-growth

Now if we look at the current gdp forecast for 2014, it's 1%.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/2014-growth-now-1

So 5.1% minus 1% is 4.1% loss of growth for 2014. For a GDG of around USD 400b, it's a loss of GDP of USD 16.4b, around THB 537b

If we take the corrected forecast they made (taking into account 70-100b loss forecast due to protest) of 4% it's a loss of GDP of around THB 393b

It would make more sense to use the 5.1% original forecast as it was made before the protest events untill December 17 2013.

(I wont hold my breath)

You just need to do a little search on the internet with keywords: GDP, Thailand, Protest, forecast.

This is what I found. It's only on 2014, but it makes the assumption look reasonable:

First a report by the university of the Chamber of Commerce (not a red shirt nest, obviously), stating that:

"The Economic and Business Forecast Center of the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce forecast that the ongoing political unrest could inflict loss of over 200-300 billion baht on the economy with GDP growing less than 3 %."

They also declare "However, he said the center has forecast that Thailands economy should increase by 4-4.5 percent, lower than prior prediction of 5.1 percent, and the country would lose 70-100 billion baht because of the prolonged political protests."

So 5.1% minus 1% is 4.1% loss of growth for 2014. For a GDG of around USD 400b, it's a loss of GDP of USD 16.4b, around THB 537b

If we take the corrected forecast they made (taking into account 70-100b loss forecast due to protest) of 4% it's a loss of GDP of around THB 393b

It would make more sense to use the 5.1% original forecast as it was made before the protest events untill December 17 2013.

And the key phrase in all of that was "ongoing political unrest" which would apply for at least the last two decades here and not solely laid at the door of the PDRC and the coup as was stated by someone in the previous post I replied to who has very large blinkers on ...

Well every year there was a big affair were Ms. Yingluck would state again that her government took special care of corruption rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

(I wont hold my breath)

They also declare "However, he said the center has forecast that Thailands economy should increase by 4-4.5 percent, lower than prior prediction of 5.1 percent, and the country would lose 70-100 billion baht because of the prolonged political protests."

And the key phrase in all of that was "ongoing political unrest" which would apply for at least the last two decades here and not solely laid at the door of the PDRC and the coup as was stated by someone in the previous post I replied to who has very large blinkers on ...

You are just playing with words!

- When they talk about 2014 GDP forecast (in December 2013), they surely don't refer to the political unrest during the two previous decades.

- When the gdp growth is only 1%, compared to initial forecast of 5.1% or 4%, it can only be because of events happening between the initial forecast and the end of 2014. So what happened in 2014?

- When they talk about 2014 GDP forecast (in December 2013), they surely don't refer to the political unrest during the two previous decades.

- When the gdp growth is only 1%, compared to initial forecast of 5.1% or 4%, it can only be because of events happening between the initial forecast and the end of 2014. So what happened in 2014?

quite easy to blame Thaksin for this one, none of the protests started before his name was added to the list of amnesty. This was done real late and was advised against by everyone.

This was the catalyst that started it all, this is what has brought down the government. There are even PTP sources that agree that his was the most stupid thing they did the thing that brought their corrupt government down.

• Like 2

quite easy to blame Thaksin for this one, none of the protests started before his name was added to the list of amnesty. This was done real late and was advised against by everyone.

This was the catalyst that started it all, this is what has brought down the government. There are even PTP sources that agree that his was the most stupid thing they did the thing that brought their corrupt government down.

That's right, it has been the initial catalyst, and a major mistake by the previous government.

However, as it has been withdrawn in November 2013, the 2014 protests had obviously another purpose.....