When do we tell them Santa is me?

Neeranam

My 8 year old girl still believes in Santa Claus, despite a few hints I've made.

Should I tell her? Not the same as when I was young as most in her school haven't a clue. Her older sister is playing along with me but I'm surprised she hasn't told her, or maybe she has.

What is an appropriate age to stop believing?

Are you trying to tell me that Santa is not real?w00t.gif

Just tell me then, who brought my new under ware yesterday?

Eeeeerm, don't know about Santa but the underwear that was left by the side of your bed was from me (forgot to put them back on).

Incidently, I think that I may have also left my toothbrush and a tube of KY, I will arange a time to pick them up later darling.

402.gif402.gif402.gif402.gif402.gif

• Like 2

Eeeeerm, don't know about Santa but the underwear that was left by the side of your bed was from me (forgot to put them back on).

Incidently, I think that I may have also left my toothbrush and a tube of KY, I will arange a time to pick them up later darling.

Hmmmmm.....that explains the skid marks.whistling.gif

What do you mean forgot......I thought we are living together.......

Eat your heart out "J"thumbsup.gif

Depending on how convincing you are she may well have already sorted it out and be playing along to spare your feelings. Or you could explain to her that Quantative Easing and "too big to fail" are why bankers still believe in Santa.

b420x325.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Sounds like a good name for a song or movie.

But if you keep saying you are Santa you could get locked up.

So go and ask yourself why you lied to her in the first place?

Santa is an illusory creation invented so that children will learn that their parents and others around them cannot be trusted all the time. Grow up kids. Adults are unworthy of your trust. :)

Underwear in Thailand?? I know it's Thai law that men should wear underpants, but If I don't agree with any law, I do my best not to obey it.

Hmmmmm.....that explains the skid marks.whistling.gif

What do you mean forgot......I thought we are living together.......

Eat your heart out "J"thumbsup.gif

You should not drive too fast Costas, I noticed a few skid marks when I was driving in khon Kaen.

I had the same problem with our thirteen year old boy. As you say, no one at his school had a clue and no one to dispel the myth. He was most upset when my wife broke it to him. His reply was 'Christmas will never be the same'. Having said that, he still wrote his letter to Santa and clipped it onto the tree. The up side is that he moderated his wishes.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I'm 65 - Santa is a good and close friend and sends me a Merry Christmas card every year, he also replied my little dauther's letters by E-mail, and of course remember regards to her (now 9 year old) in his Xmas card and when he posts pictures to us - never stopped believing in Santa... thumbsup.gif

Sounds like a good name for a song or movie.

But if you keep saying you are Santa you could get locked up.

So go and ask yourself why you lied to her in the first place?

Santa is an illusory creation invented so that children will learn that their parents and others around them cannot be trusted all the time. Grow up kids. Adults are unworthy of your trust. :)

Thbbbbbbbbb!

I'm dealing with the same issue with my 10 year old "grandson". Not trying to decide whether to tell him, but rather watching him deal with knowing.

Basically when kids are old enough and no longer have the need to believe in magical things, they figure it out. My grandson is old enough to logically understand it doesn't make sense but still very much needs to believe (his mother walked out on the family just a few months back, so it's been a rough year for the poor little guy). It's interesting to see how he manages to override his own logic and reason, but he's doing that because he needs to. He'll stop when he no longer does.

Should he ever directly ask me, I'll tell him the truth, not that Santa isn't real but that Santa is a metaphor for a spirit of giving that is real. I think by the time he asks -- if he even needs to ask -- he'll be able to understand that.

As an example of just how badly he needs right now to believe: we're celebrating Xmas in Cambodia this year. He's Khmer, but they usually come to my place in Thailand for Xmas and he seems to have always just taken it for granted that Santa Claus just doesn't come to Cambodia. (Even told me his friends wanted to get toys from Santa too, but they couldn't because they didn't have passports!). But now suddenly, this year only, Grandma's in Phnom Penh and Santa shows up there. He did not question this ort express any worry about how Santa would find him, so clearly at some level he knows that Sanata is me. Furthermore, he stumbled on some hidden gifts I had bought for some other kids in the extended family. I explained to him that I knew they'd come by on Xmas day and didn't want them to see all his toys and feel bad they hadn't gotten any, so I had gotten them each one and when they came by we'd tell them that Santa had included something for them too. He was fine with that ruse and it made perfect sense to him; he even enjoyed giving them their gifts from "Sanata". Yet he continues to believe that there is an actual,. magical Santa Claus who brought his toys ...even claims to have seen him come in the window.

He believes because he needs to. When he no longer needs to, he won't. I leave it to him.

I think I like you. Pity more on here aren't as positive & understanding.

I'm sure there must be some crazies on here that don't believe in the Tooth Fairy & the Easter Bunny as well.

Actually, I'm one of Santa's elves, so I know all about it.

Cheers..... Mal.

When my daughters finally said to me one year that there wasn't really a Santa, i simply said, "Santa is real. He's in your heart and as long as you keep him there, there will always be a Santa. It's all about giving and not about receiving. It's a fact that person known as St. Nicholas or Kris Kringle did exist long ago and he was the original Santa Claus and his spirit still lives in today." They never questioned it again. Now with kids of their own it's up to them to pass along the tradition.